SR60-Mod
May 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #3,605 of 5,004
Quote:
ok I just googled a bit about Rean plugs and it seems to be no different from a neutrik plug?

what about it makes it sound better than say a switch craft or a viablue or a oyaide plug? I'm against viablue myself because of the plastic parts just so we're on the same page.

Its a brand owned by Neutrik.

It doesn't sound "better".  They're just cheap AND high quality.  They're the value proposition if you can go without style points from something fancier looking.

May 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #3,606 of 5,004
any suggestions as to what to reterminate my sr80's with? this cable is getting to be a real pain.

-didn't realize someone had pretty much asked the same question a few posts up. However, mine would be more geared towards someone in the US. I don't really even have an idea where I would go to buy a plug. Ebay? Amazon?

May 4, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #3,607 of 5,004
@ james hahahaha! I've wanted to try it myself some day as I've seen others do it. Makes for some interesting designs since shoe laces are much more fancy than any sleeving options on the market.

@ maverickronin thanks for clearing that up, cos it looks just like the plugs I get here for $1.50. looks exactly the same actually. And I don't find them to be particularly high quality, my vote still goes for switch craft for price performance ratio while still making it easy to work with =D no pallics for me. Heck even the sweet oyaide plugs aren't as straight forward while being more than double the price.

May 4, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #3,608 of 5,004

Quote:
yes im going to be using a 1/4 inch plug, just abit scarced that i might solder it all together then it will be wrong and with this being my first cable im not sure how to fix it if it all goes wrong.

im going to be making a cable for my 650,s im just not sure on the 1/4 jack is all. anyone know of any good uk surpliers of diy audio stuff.....?

Thanks for helping me wje.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know of a good UK supplier.  However, I'd still recommend the Neutrik connector as I did in my first reply to you.  The Neutrik cable does have small leads where you'll carefully solder your wires from the cable to.  However, they are far enough apart that it shouldn't cause you an issue.  Plus, the Neutrik cable offers an internal plastic "insert" that you install over the over the solder connector area on the jack and when you move the final black sleeve into place and screw it to the connector, it also forms a grip on the cable - so the cable will be secure and not pull out from your connections.  Really a neat product from a design point of view (at least head and shoulders above what Radio Shack offers here in the U.S.).  Also, when you're doing the work, remember to slip the black outer-jacket of the jack onto your cable before you begin to solder the wires in place.  Then, you'll just slowly move the black outer-jacket into place and with a few twists, screw it to the jack connector itself for a solid, professional type of installation.

May 4, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #3,609 of 5,004
I put on of those $1.50 Reans on my brother's SR80 about year ago now and it still works fine AFAIK.  I told him I'd fix it for him if it ever broke and he hasn't come back about it yet.

May 4, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #3,611 of 5,004
I get most stuff from Canford or Farnell. Canford has mostly everything you'll need, but the shipping is very expensive.

For 1/4 inch I use and recommend the NP3X-B

Quote:
yes im going to be using a 1/4 inch plug, just abit scarced that i might solder it all together then it will be wrong and with this being my first cable im not sure how to fix it if it all goes wrong.

im going to be making a cable for my 650,s im just not sure on the 1/4 jack is all. anyone know of any good uk surpliers of diy audio stuff.....?

Thanks for helping me wje.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back