SR60-Mod
Apr 24, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #3,273 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks guys! Bill has suggested the same thing and I'm going to just get rid of the plastic and add wood and keep the aluminums, it should sound very nice when its done. I got in touch with Bilavideo and he has offered to send some my way! 
o2smile.gif

Donny,

You'll be in good hands.  Bill has some liners finished for me, too.  However, my SR325i headphones are in the hands of Grado until the end of this coming week (driver repairs and hopefully a cable replacement).  Once I have both the liners and my 325's back, I'll try to take some good pictures of the process.  Also, part of my mission is to provide some input on the sound changes / enhancements / improvements, etc.  This, of course will be done objectively.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3,276 of 5,004
Hey bill, if you want a nice center point on those shells for the gimbal mounts, how about getting one of these?
448-5990_l.jpg

Seems to be a nice way to just drop a hole straight through.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #3,277 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey bill, if you want a nice center point on those shells for the gimbal mounts, how about getting one of these?
448-5990_l.jpg

Nice fine.  Though, if I were to use it, I'd be using extreme care.  On some of thinner shells, I'd be a bit worried that the bit would tear them up.  However, I guess they key being - use a sharp bit, work slow and let the bit do the boring and not apply too much pressure and you are dropping the bit in to cut through the material.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #3,278 of 5,004

Quote:
448-5990_l.jpg

He has made some sort of a device that lets him drill them perfect every time. I think it consists of a metal pseudo gimbal and dynamat... I'm sure he will comment.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #3,279 of 5,004
Nice fine.  Though, if I were to use it, I'd be using extreme care.  On some of thinner shells, I'd be a bit worried that the bit would tear them up.  However, I guess they key being - use a sharp bit, work slow and let the bit do the boring and not apply too much pressure and you are dropping the bit in to cut through the material.

Circles are awfully strong. As long as you're not getting tearout (usually a problem with the bit+wood combo) it shouldn't crack or anything.

But I think drilling prior to cutting the inner circle out is a better option if you're worried about that anyway.

And now a question for you guys. Has anybody ever cut with a router and template? If so, are you buying the template or making it? Cutting with a router seems like it could provide a cleaner edge than a hole saw (prior to sanding anyway)

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3,283 of 5,004

Quote:
And now a question for you guys. Has anybody ever cut with a router and template? If so, are you buying the template or making it? Cutting with a router seems like it could provide a cleaner edge than a hole saw (prior to sanding anyway)

Not I.  However, I do have a plunge router and would be quite interested in exploring this option.  I'm assuming that creating a home-made jig might be our best option. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back