Sr225(i) or 325(i) for jazz
Aug 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the responses. I have put a post in the for sale section for a pair of sr225's and have contacted Marty about the mods. Hopefully I will find the 225's used if not I think I will just get the 325's.

I have a pair of liberated drivers that came out of some wood cups I just sold. I was actually thinking about comissioning Marty to make me a set but was holding off. If your interested shoot me a PM. Also Headroom has a B stock 325 for sale for $239.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #17 of 24
Which one would be better without an amp? I just purchased an HifiMan 601 and a lot of the times may want to use it without an amp. In this case would the 225's be better or would it not matter.
Thanks,

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
I have a pair of liberated drivers that came out of some wood cups I just sold. I was actually thinking about comissioning Marty to make me a set but was holding off. If your interested shoot me a PM. Also Headroom has a B stock 325 for sale for $239.

Checked that, it's true. Good price if the "like-new" is listened and returned without problems.

Quote:
Which one would be better without an amp? I just purchased an HifiMan 601 and a lot of the times may want to use it without an amp. In this case would the 225's be better or would it not matter.
Thanks,

All Grado run at 32ohm which is benchmark for portable without any amp. They don't need a amp, but a DAC with a little more power always helps out.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #19 of 24
I checked as well, now I am even more confused on which way to go. Woodied 225's or try to grab the 325's from headroom...I guess its not a bad choice to have. If anyone has any suggestions (again for mainly jazz) please feel free to weigh in.
Thanks

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:

you could fine a used 325is's in the classified section for about $200 or so

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #21 of 24
This may not apply to the US, but I'm guessing in a lot of countries like Australia and even in Europe.

A non-original Grado (woodied) is going to be more difficult to shift if you were to part ways and sell up.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 24
325is/rs2 or bust.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
This may not apply to the US, but I'm guessing in a lot of countries like Australia and even in Europe.

A non-original Grado (woodied) is going to be more difficult to shift if you were to part ways and sell up.

Yes, the same is essentially true here in the U.S.  On a modified pair of headphones, you'll never be able to recover what you've put into them.  You usually have to have the right buyer at the right time to sell them - oh, and also at the right price.  When I mod a pair of headphones with wooden cups, etc., I usually have my original parts.  I then am able to get the headphones back to stock to list them for sale.  I can then sell off my wooden cups separately to someone who's interesting in getting into modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back