Sr225(i) or 325(i) for jazz
Aug 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

smm11

100+ Head-Fier
i know that grados aren't really considered the best for jazz typically (and i have a pair of k601's that i love for jazz). However, i love the grado sound and want to try them out. I listen to mainly jazz (classic stuff) an was wonering if anyone had experience with either of these and the genre and could sugest which one would be better. I would be listening through either my computer with ibasso amp/dac (may upgrade in the near future) or hm-601 (prefferably to use without amp). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 24
There isn't much difference.

Just get the 325i because it has a little more bass then the 225i

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 24
Get the 325i, I prefer it over my K601 for the intimate jazzy soundstage, the fuller bass helps as mentioned.

Make sure you get a spare set of flat pads either through Grado, TTVJ or use a set of Sennheiser HD 414
yellow pads, you might prefer them to the bowls like myself.

G

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 24
I love Grados for jazz -- even more so than my K701. I don't find a wide soundstage that necessary for small ensemble jazz setups -- and love the intimacy that Grados provide. It feels like you're on stage with the musicians. 

I'd likely agree with Graphicism and recommend putting them in wood (if you don't want to spring the 500+ for an RS-1) as it warms up the sound and tames the highs. Otherwise, I find muted trumpets and soprano sax to be a bit too strident at times. For the price of a 325, you can get a 225 and custom wood cups by Marty and have a fine headphone for jazz. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
... I love Grados for jazz -- even more so than my K701...

... For the price of a 325, you can get a 225 and custom wood cups by Marty and have a fine headphone for jazz ...

Though I haven't had a chance to try the upper-level AKGs, I'll agree 100% with you on the 225s + custom wooden cups.  Plus, save up a little more $$ and get the TTVJ "Flats" as recommended by another poster and the jazz is excellent on the Grados.  I fell asleep to Holly Cole - such peacefulness.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 24
Buy a used 225i, have it delivered to Marty's address, have in do the custom woody installation on premise and mail you your completed headphones.

Otherwise, you can get the 325is and just be done with it! I do like having personalized gear though, I spend quite a bit of engraving of my knives lol

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 24
Another vote for wood. I've got a Marty woodied and silver cabled MS1 and I quite like it on Jazz. It performs admirably on intimate recordings as well as on larger ensembles.

wje already mentioned Holly Cole. I concur. I'll add Patricia Barber, Christy Baron, Nina Simone, Carmen McRae or Ella as I went on a female voice listening spree just this weekend.
Last night I listened to Miles and went Cookin' and Steamin' with the boys. The clarity and immediacy of those horns is nothing short of breathtaking. I went to bed after Sinatra Live at the Sands and couldn't sleep for a few minutes in awe as I usually drop dead like a rock onto the sheets as I take my feet off the ground.

I guess this all means that a Grado will satisfy Jazz needs just great.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 24
Miles Davis, Diana Krall, and some other smooth listening this week. Grados do really well for this genre.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 24
Really loving this compilation at the moment on the 325i's, especially track #12 - Leon Spencer's homage to Marvin Gaye's 'Mercy Mercy Me'

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 24
This thread actually inspired me to have a late night Grado jazz session before bed last night: Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth, Grant Green's Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark, and Dexter Gordon's Our Man In Paris. 

L3000.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
This thread actually inspired me to have a late night Grado jazz session before bed last night: Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth, Grant Green's Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark, and Dexter Gordon's Our Man In Paris. 

L3000.gif

Primo!

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I'll add Patricia Barber, Christy Baron, Nina Simone, Carmen McRae or Ella as I went on a female voice listening spree just this weekend.
Last night I listened to Miles and went Cookin' and Steamin' with the boys. The clarity and immediacy of those horns is nothing short of breathtaking. I went to bed after Sinatra Live at the Sands and couldn't sleep for a few minutes in awe as I usually drop dead like a rock onto the sheets as I take my feet off the ground.

I guess this all means that a Grado will satisfy Jazz needs just great.

Quote:
Miles Davis, Diana Krall, and some other smooth listening this week. Grados do really well for this genre.

Let's not forget Cassandra Wilson and Wynton Marsalis, too.  Also, Buika - if you can understand her spanish lyrics.
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks so much for all the responses. I have put a post in the for sale section for a pair of sr225's and have contacted Marty about the mods. Hopefully I will find the 225's used if not I think I will just get the 325's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back