SR-125: General Opinion
Jan 7, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #16 of 27
When I tested them side by side, I found the 125 superior to the SR-80 or 60, though not up to the level of the 225. They may be brighter than the 80, but are not at all bright compared to the 325i. Never heard an MS-1, but from the many rave reviews one imagines that it might edge out the 125 at a lower price point.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 27
I have also found that the variation in the plastic models of the "SR" series to be baby steps. Meaning the next one up in the line sounds better but it's not a night and day difference. Another thing to consider is that the SR 60 and80 are terminated in a 1/8 while everything is 1/4.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have also found that the variation in the plastic models of the "SR" series to be baby steps. Meaning the next one up in the line sounds better but it's not a night and day difference. Another thing to consider is that the SR 60 and80 are terminated in a 1/8 while everything is 1/4.

That was my main motivating factor in choosing the SR80s over 125s. The lower price was the initial thing, but not having to buy a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter was what made up my mind. I would have wanted to get the official Grado one, and that would have been another 15 bucks at least.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I tested them side by side, I found the 125 superior to the SR-80 or 60, though not up to the level of the 225. They may be brighter than the 80, but are not at all bright compared to the 325i. Never heard an MS-1, but from the many rave reviews one imagines that it might edge out the 125 at a lower price point.

This was my exact experience when I demo'd SR60, 80, 125, 225. I purchased the 125's for 2 reasons - 80's were out of stock at the shop, and I didn't want to pony all the way up for the 225's that day. The 125's were better than the 80's to me, but I was satisfied enough that had the 80's been on hand, I'd have gotten them instead. That said, I liked my SR125's just fine, used them as my primary cans for a couple of years. I almost always played out of my iPod hp out, yeah, I know, "no wonder, your source is so low end, blah, blah, blah." That's why I got the grados, to help a lousy source. I auditioned at a nice shop out of a Rotel and a nice but not remembered amp. End of story, sold 'em to pay for my HD580's and a box of amp parts. Next Grados will be 225's, most likely. And most likely used, for the iPod again, mostly.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #20 of 27
I feel that the top end is almost on par with the 325i but the 325i has much better bass which provides more balance. The MS-1 and 125 are practically identical. The main difference is that the SR-125 has that great Grado trademark mid bass hump that gives drums that extra kick. When I owned the MS-1s, I listened to them mostly with bowl pads. The construction is pretty much identical...same grills same cable, same everything except for pads and lettering and the buttons.

IMO, the MS-1s are just a neutered pair of SR-125s. I prefer the 125s because of the extra kick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally had the opportunity to listen to the SR-125s and I'll have to say that I was expecting something bright. But when I listened to them, I thought the top end was pretty smooth. These aren't dark cans by any stretch of the imagination, but they still retain that great mid-bass impact. I liked them so much, I purchased them as a new office can. These are way underrated.

I agree. The first time I got my pair, they seemed bright. I'm not sure if it was burn in, the growth of molds (after some time in storage), or me getting used to the sound, but my SR-125s sound much, much better now. And this is using bowls. I sometimes even prefer using them over my MS-2s. Sometimes I feel they are more balanced in that though their highs are more prominent, it seems they lack an irritating bump in the upper mids which the MS-2s have. I'm probably just more sensitive in those frequencies.

But yeah, these are groovin' headphones. Though they lack low bass, they definitely have the grado midbass kick.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 27
I have an idea that the SR125s have a problem with the foam cushions (bowls) that Grado are supplying these days. I bought my SR125s about ten years ago from the Grado stand at and audio show. They seemed to me at the time to represent the best balance of cost verses SQ of the whole range. Yes naturally the RS1s sounded better and the 125s sounded better than the 60s, they just seemed to get smoother and nicer as you heaped on the cash. The law of diminishing returns was fairly obvious though but the SR125s seemed to represent a good balance of compromises.

However, at no time until I came to replace the cushions did I think that there was any particular problem with the bass response of the SR125. In fact they reminded me most of vintage Tannoy Gold loudspeakers; in that they weren’t the most accurate of transducers but they did have loads of bass and lots of 'get up and go'.

But the new foam pads apparently hold the drivers further away from the head, and as a result seem to improve image depth but also demolish the bass response. I tried the trick of reversing the pads which improved the bass. But why one should have to do such things with a manufacturer supplied spare part escapes me. Actually I went back to using the pads normally and resorted to using some bass boost in my day to day portable rig.

Lately though after perhaps a couple of hundred hours of use with the new pads my SR125s seem to have improved (as the foam flattened out?) to the extent that they now no longer seem to require equalisation. Indeed they have improved to the point where they can (again) almost hold their own against my other Stax system and the HD650s. There are of course differences, but it is no longer embarrassing.

Where this leaves the current version of the Grado SR125 is an interesting question. The foam pad re-design of a few years back would seem to have left them with some fairly obvious problems, but if you are prepared to wait a while things might get very much better. I understand thinner pads are available form third parties, but why Grado don’t supply the correct pads for these phones in the first place is a mystery.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 27
Hi, i'm new here!

I'm going to replace my Koss R/10 (don't laugh
biggrin.gif
) at the end ot the month.

So far, my candidates are the SR125 and the HD595. Any comments? I listen various kinds of rock (from psy to acoustic) and other guitar music.

I'm leaning towards SR125s, but i'll sure give a listening for both 'phones.

Or maybe SR80?

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #24 of 27
They were too bright and didn't really do anything special. Someone must like them, though, because I sold them for way more than I bought them.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #25 of 27
The SR 125i has been my first proper headphone. first thoughts they sounded really clean with crisp detail however the lack in bass was becoming more noticable . Cme to the conclusion that i had to do somethiong about this so decided to do the hole punch mod and punched 2 holes through the felt to allow more airflow and this just fixed the problem. the bass is more prominant without being overpowering and sound more full without interfearing with the mids or highs. however the highs did slightly become more smooth or not as ear piercing. Changing the yellow pads to the hd414 gave a very similar sound with the comfies. it seemed more forward or sharper where the mids and highs were slightly bumped up, which is not a bad thing just sounded very slightly different. After starting the modding you want to do "more" so thinking of changing thhe mesh to copper, should look bad ass lol, maybe even give a slightly wider sound stage.     

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #26 of 27

This is exactly what i experienced, when i tested all the models.

My loved old SR60:s went beyond repair, so i decided to buy new ones and perhaps do upgrade as well. So i carefully listened all the models. Even most expensive ones.
Well i found that best price/sound was in SR-80i:s Every model gets you ´bit little more goodnes, but your wallet gets thinner as well.
So i bought em. But this is where it gets interesting.

Here is some points, that i discovered and sent straight to gradolabs:
------------------------
Hello

First of all, i love your headphones. I´m music producer, mixing and master engineer from Finland and i bought my first grados about +10 years ago (SR60)
And i loved them very much. And for my recomenditions, very many of my collegues had bought their own, what ever model suited for them.
Anyhow, nothing last for ever and finally my old pair got under condition that cannot fix anymore, so i went and bought new pair of SR-80i:s and boy they are great!

Only one thing borhers me. There is about 2.5dB peak in around 2000Hz that didn´t exist in my old SR-60. I tried new models from SR-60i to SR-225i too and there were
that same thing going on in every model. Is that because of new kind of design, or could it be that i must use them more, to "drive them in"?
It´s a bit confusing, because they are otherwise so great headphones, but this thing bugs me a bit too much :wink:

Love your stuff!
----------------------

So they asked me to drive them in, and i did. Sound got punchier, but peak remained. So...

------------

Hello again  
I have been listening those SR-80i:s now for a while and i finally went to the store, where i bought them in first place and tested if there is something wrong with my pair of headphones? And answer is no. Brand new pair had this same resonance peak at 2000Hz. And because i have been running mine for a while and sound has got more punchy and balanced, this resonance is more clearly than in brand new ones.
Then this salesperson went and give me to try old model and hey, broblem solved! So smooth upper mid. So i really think that it´s becouse of your newly designed airchamber. And yes, i know that as an professional soundtechnician i might listen them more analytic than a "regular" person, but still. It bothers me so much that even they are otherways superb, i really cant enjoy music thru them, or in that matter use them in my work.
So is there any modifications or suggests how to solve the broblem, or do you happend to have any old version of that headphone on your stock?

--------------
<gradoinfo1@aol.com>  
will have to check with the engineering dept as you your observation.

--------------
Any news from engineers?

From my part situation is that i found pair of older SR-125 and boy are they great! I just love them a lot!!!

--------------

Then nothing happens, and i keep pushin time to time untill:

--------------
Hi  
sorry we do not have an answer for you.

if this is what you are experiencing then it is what it is.

we will not be changing the current production of headphones

happy new year

-----------------

Just my 2 cents to the matter. It´s been 3 years now, and I still am very pleased to my older SR-125 models without "i". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back