SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 29, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,006 of 1,049
Going back and forth between the qutest/anni stack vs phonitor xe with the 768 dac. Anyone heard both? Headphone would be dca stealth.
Have an Anni/Qutest stack in my rotation since November 2021. In January 2022 a xe with 768 joined in. No dca here so can't speak to that. I have HD820 pretty much permanently attached to the rear balanced output on the Phonitor. Rotate Focal Utopia, Stellia, Elear, and HD800 on both setups. Qutest output to Anni has some issues due to the delicate Anni volume control... best solved by skipping Qutest and feeding Anni by an alternate device. Qutest 1 volt out is too little, 2 volt is too much... No sweet spot so you end up with too much fiddling. Output suffers on 1 volt so that doesn't work for my ears. Phonitor is feature rich with an excellent volume control. No other issues sound wise with either. Almost a toss up. Ease and pure enjoyment of use tips the scale to the Phonitor getting vastly more listening time.

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #1,007 of 1,049
The Phonitor 2 is definitely good medicine for high impedance dynamics. My HD 800 and HD 600 sound great out of them, and they also rock a pair of DT 880 (600 ohm) surprisingly well.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,008 of 1,049
Well, ONCE AGAIN I am having Phonitor XE issues. My left VU meter light is out. The channels seem fine for audio. I'll have to call the repair shop and talk to them about it. SMH
What repair shop did you send your Phonitor? I mistakenly pulled the headphone jack out of the Phonitor and blew it out. Not only that, I also blew a driver in my Susvara recently. Really bad fortune lately.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #1,010 of 1,049
I am considering buying one SPL Phonitor X demo unit with sale off price but reading this topic and on youtube look like many problems about these amps like blow driver if plug off headphone or something else. So I have to say no to these headphone amps and save up more to buy Violectric V550 I think.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,011 of 1,049
I am considering buying one SPL Phonitor X demo unit with sale off price but reading this topic and on youtube look like many problems about these amps like blow driver if plug off headphone or something else. So I have to say no to these headphone amps and save up more to buy Violectric V550 I think.
There's a reissue of the v281 coming soon, if you don't need the DAC. it's cheaper than the 550

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,012 of 1,049
What repair shop did you send your Phonitor? I mistakenly pulled the headphone jack out of the Phonitor and blew it out. Not only that, I also blew a driver in my Susvara recently. Really bad fortune lately.
https://thermalrelief.com/
(702) 395-7005
Las Vegas, NV

This is the authorized repair center for Phonitor in the States.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #1,017 of 1,049
@Jetblack08 Yeah how did that happen or what happened?
I was kind of impaired if you know what I mean, listening to music when I noticed my headphone cord tangled. Without thinking I pulled the headphone jack out of the Phonitor without muting or turning off the amp. I knew better than to do this but, as i said, I was impaired. Perhaps one minute later the music stopped and the vu meters went red.

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #1,019 of 1,049
The death of every Phonitor from SPL are screw adapters from 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm. If these come loose easily, there is a short circuit. Therefore, always glue them with screw locking or just use pure 1/4". I had all of my Beyerdynamic headphones' cables made in a fixed 1/4" version. And when you plug and unplug the headphones, always switch off the outputs!!! On the PhonitorX, this is the middle position, where the VU also switches to red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back