SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 18, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #977 of 1,054
Jun 18, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #978 of 1,054
I heard the HEDD and my Phonitor XE together at a meet. The HEDD didn't really come alive until I put them on tubes though. That's just my experience. If you have and like the Hedd already then the Phonitor XE certainly should not hurt your experience. The designer specifically mentioned they tuned them using that amp.

Jun 18, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #979 of 1,054
Jun 18, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #980 of 1,054
That's the Phonitor 2 right? The XLR outputs on the xe is more powerful
Yes, I was thinking that we are probably not disagreeing at all, rather talking about our experience with different amps :)

I edited my past posts to make it clear I was talking only about the Phonitor 2.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #982 of 1,054
Has anyone experience with a Bluesound Node 2 as a streamer for the XE ? Would that be a better fit than feeding via an Apple tool (Macbook, iPad ...).

I saw in the specs that via Coax cable the rate (192 kHz) should be fine.

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #983 of 1,054
Has anyone experience with a Bluesound Node 2 as a streamer for the XE ? Would that be a better fit than feeding via an Apple tool (Macbook, iPad ...).

I saw in the specs that via Coax cable the rate (192 kHz) should be fine.

Bluesounds are good devices. Whether you prefer the RCA outs into your Phonitor or whether you want to use your XE's DAC will depend on if you have Tidal and want MQA support. If so, you have to use the Bluesound's DAC.

The software is good and they support more music services than anything I'm aware of. If you have more than one service, that is a good reason to use Bluesound.

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #984 of 1,054
Thanks. I would use Amazon Unlimited Hi-Res or Qobuz as streaming source via the Node 2. Can I use the coaxial cable for that? I would have assumed that the DAC of the new Phonitor XE would be better? Or is it an alternative to take the DAC of the Node 2 and then go for a Phonitor without DAC?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #985 of 1,054
Thanks. I would use Amazon Unlimited Hi-Res or Qobuz as streaming source via the Node 2. Can I use the coaxial cable for that? I would have assumed that the DAC of the new Phonitor XE would be better? Or is it an alternative to take the DAC of the Node 2 and then go for a Phonitor without DAC?

As you noted, the Bluesound can do 24/192 over coax. You can use the Bluesound as a transport since you won't have MQA. The internal DAC is very good. I don't know if it's better than the XE's DAC.

Do you already have the Phonitor?

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #988 of 1,054
No, I am about to buy one. Non decided between x, xe or even the older e.

So it really depends on your headphones and preferences. If you get a Bluesound device it can be used as a source over the RCA outputs, or a transport over coax. If you use it as a source you don't necessarily need another DAC. The Node 2(i) play from streaming services, local files, and network. However, the local file and network navigation are not as pleasant to use as the streaming is.

Amps are a very personal decision. You could consider what kind of headphones you have and plan to get, and whether balanced inputs and outputs are important, and whether you prefer the English style (no tone controls, no balance, basically the least amount of fiddling possible) or the Japanese style (which includes the Phonitors, stuff like balance, phase, the Phonitor Matrix etc.).

Since you're in Germany you could consult with SPL directly, Sascha was very helpful when I was buying my Phonitor 2. But I'd also recommend looking into Violetric / Lake People / Nimbus since they're also German. Very good quality amps with many owners and fans here, and Fried (the owner/chief engineer) posts on the forums occasionally.

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #990 of 1,054
The Phonitor 2 is very slightly warm. It is a great pairing to the HD 800. By comparison, my V280 feels neutral without being cold.

I am starting to think it was unfortunate that SPL gave the Phonitor name to all the models since it seems that there are many significant differences between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back