SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Mar 30, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #947 of 1,051
Thanks, I have my lcd-3's that I find dont go very loud without the +12 dip set. given its supposed to be putting out 3.7 watts, I was curious what others experienced.
The Phonitor 2 does not seem happy with low impedance dynamics. I don't run any planars off mine, I use a V280 (desktop rig) or Master 19 (big rig) over XLR.

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #948 of 1,051
The Phonitor 2 does not seem happy with low impedance dynamics. I don't run any planars off mine, I use a V280 (desktop rig) or Master 19 (big rig) over XLR.

yeah Im getting that feeling unfortunately, you would think with the rails, power rating etc it would be no problem with these. I have a vahalla 2 that seems to drive them better which is odd to me, 110ohms isnt the lowest either.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #949 of 1,051
yeah Im getting that feeling unfortunately, you would think with the rails, power rating etc it would be no problem with these. I have a vahalla 2 that seems to drive them better which is odd to me, 110ohms isnt the lowest either.

Agreed, it is hard to understand. It must be current-limited. On the other hand, it drives a pair of DT 880/600s better than my V280.

Look at it this way, now you have an explanation for that pile of headamps when your wife etc. asks why you need more than one :D

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #950 of 1,051

yeah Im getting that feeling unfortunately, you would think with the rails, power rating etc it would be no problem with these.
Agreed, it is hard to understand. It must be current-limited. On the other hand, it drives a pair of DT 880/600s better than my V280.

Look at it this way, now you have an explanation for that pile of headamps when your wife etc. asks why you need more than one :D

True lol that ship has sailed tho!

Gonna end up selling this one I think, sadly.

338518337_776699690640193_4442866320029390848_n.jpg

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #951 of 1,051
I remember Liking your setup for the Adcom gear and the great cabinets :)

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #952 of 1,051
I heard back from the repair shop (Thermal Repair Design). They've been in business for 40 years. They were incredibly nice and it's a mom/pop shop. The wife runs the business and the husband is the head tech. They repair about 50 brands. The wife spent 45 minutes on the phone with me discussing the business and the industry and my amplifier. It appears my op-amps went out and they're expecting it to be about a 350-400 dollar repair bill since the warranty is out. SPL provides (according to them) a 2 year warranty and then after repairs, a 6 month warranty on parts.

She also said there's a brand they deal with who recently got sold (wouldn't name the brand --- probably Sound United tho) that can't get the repair shop parts, so the units have been sitting in the warehouse for 2 years. She said this is pretty common among brands, that they are still having issues getting repair parts and have slashed the warranty periods.

So the head tech husband will call me back and discuss the situation with me in the next couple of days and go over the exact cost of repair. So I'm very happy with them but again, I'd think twice about buying SPL if you're in the market. SPL did send a new faceplate but to my address instead of the repair shop. So I have to receive the faceplate and 2 day ship it to the repair shop so they can add it. So that's an additional cost I have to spend.

Either way, I'll update when I get the thing back or if I hear any interesting information from the head tech guy.

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #953 of 1,051
I heard back from the repair shop (Thermal Repair Design). They've been in business for 40 years. They were incredibly nice and it's a mom/pop shop. The wife runs the business and the husband is the head tech. They repair about 50 brands. The wife spent 45 minutes on the phone with me discussing the business and the industry and my amplifier. It appears my op-amps went out and they're expecting it to be about a 350-400 dollar repair bill since the warranty is out. SPL provides (according to them) a 2 year warranty and then after repairs, a 6 month warranty on parts.

She also said there's a brand they deal with who recently got sold (wouldn't name the brand --- probably Sound United tho) that can't get the repair shop parts, so the units have been sitting in the warehouse for 2 years. She said this is pretty common among brands, that they are still having issues getting repair parts and have slashed the warranty periods.

So the head tech husband will call me back and discuss the situation with me in the next couple of days and go over the exact cost of repair. So I'm very happy with them but again, I'd think twice about buying SPL if you're in the market. SPL did send a new faceplate but to my address instead of the repair shop. So I have to receive the faceplate and 2 day ship it to the repair shop so they can add it. So that's an additional cost I have to spend.

Either way, I'll update when I get the thing back or if I hear any interesting information from the head tech guy.
I'm lucky to live a few hundred km from SPL, but I had to send my amp for repair back to Thomann, who (I think) sent it to SPL. I haven't had much time on it, it seems the repair is good. But I have a bad taste from this episode... of all the gear I have the only device I had a problem with was my Phonitor 2. I am unlikely to look to them again.

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #954 of 1,051
I just had to order new ignitors for my almost 1 year old Weber grill. Things happen, but it won't change my mind about the company. I won't buy any other grill but Weber.

SPL makes high end gear for recording and mastering studios. They buy parts from many third party suppliers. Things happen. If this is a constant issue, I'm sure they would find another supplier.
I'm glad they were able to get your unit repaired.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #955 of 1,051
I just had to order new ignitors for my almost 1 year old Webber grill. Things happen, but it won't change my mind about the company. I won't buy any other grill but Webber.

SPL makes high end gear for recording and mastering studios. They buy parts from many third party suppliers. Things happen. If this is a constant issue, I'm sure they would find another supplier.
I'm glad they were able to get your unit repaired.

I'm curious as to why weber? they went so south the last decade or so. my old genesis from the last century down at our shore home in salt air is still going strong. ive been through 3 wrbers genesis through summit at my non salt air home due to parts failing and corroding.

so much so we replaced it with a lynx.

we replaced the weber with a napoleon down the shore and its been far better.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #956 of 1,051
Hey foks,
I've been eyeing the Phonitor X/XE (with their respective Dac implementations) for a stellar all-in-one dac-amp. It's a bit of a dilemma, that I reckon' many of you possibly have been in as well.

Put short, I won't need the preamp function yet (maybe not for a long long time, but I might), so I think the XE with its analog Dac implementation would be favourable. My question to you - has anyone been able to compare the actual quality of the 768 vs. the 768xs? Is the difference between them actually substantial?
If the 768 really isn't all that great (but, have no reason not believe that it isn't, after reading up on it) as a Dac, then I might need to upgrade regardless and might as well go with the Phonitor X.

So any experiences with the 768 (and potentially a comparison to the 768xs) are very much appreciated!

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #957 of 1,051
Also, IF somebody is parting ways with their Phonitor XE (with the 768 Dac), (preferably within the EU, and wishful-thinking in silver too - though not necessary) then I'd be happy to hear from you. A long shot, but I might as well give it a try!

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #958 of 1,051
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #960 of 1,051
Sorry, meant the analog output of the Dac with its filters. I'm no expert here, so thanks for correcting. Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 19.49.00.png

Ok, this is mostly marketing mumbo-jumbo. All chipdacs have various filters, many of them allow you to select them. Here it seems the type of audio bitstream determines which filter will be used. Not very flexible but probably fine for people who don't like to twist knobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back