SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 20, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #916 of 1,049
I like the look of the Phonitor. It's esthetically pleasing. It also has interesting features like crossfeed. And it probably performs well based on many reviews. I was even willing to put up with the issue of the label paint wearing off considering the overall good build quality. But given questionable and confusing measurements from the official sourses and lack of a clear, meaningful, and adequate response from the customer support, I am not sure I want to deal with this brand and this particular product anymore. I am now leaning toward another brand, probably Violectric. Some reviewers say they prefer its sound over the Phonitor.

I came to the conclusion that the Phonitor XE is designed more for mid or high impedance headphones and less suited for low impedance headphones.
The lab report included with the HiFiNews review seems to support that:

https://hifinews.com/content/spl-phonitor-xe-dacheadphone-amp-lab-report.

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #917 of 1,049
I am now leaning toward another brand, probably Violectric. Some reviewers say they prefer its sound over the Phonitor.

I came to the conclusion that the Phonitor XE is designed more for mid or high impedance headphones and less suited for low impedance headphones.

I prefer my Sennheisers out of my Phonitor 2 over the V280 I have. Both amps have advantages but the Phonitor build quality is a problem.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #918 of 1,049
On some days, in terms of my own preferences (classical music), I'm convinced the Phonitor xe/Utopia combo is the best I've heard. On other days the Moon 430HA/HD800 seems to have the edge. Then again, if crossfeed weren't important, I might well prefer the Senn HDV820, which I think is a great amp with the HD800 and 800S. In my experience they're all well-made. The Phonitor crossfeed circuit does seem particularly good. I think it's interesting that the designs and measurements are all so different, and yet they all appeal. The HDV820 is a classical differential class A, has a high source impedance (~40 ohms) and SMPS; the Phonitor doesn't use a differential circuit, has the famous 120V-swing rails, seems to measure in favour of high impedance phones at the extremes and has a very low source impedance (<1 ohm); the Moon uses a transconductance differential circuit, with a source impedance (~2 ohms) somewhere between the Phonitor and the HDV820. I think it's possible to overstate the significance of measurements at this level. Subtle effects with component combinations seem to make all the difference in terms of personal taste.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #919 of 1,049
So, since I ended up with a Phonitor 2 instead of the originally planned XE and I'd like to be able to use the balanced connection. The 2 has an ability to run balanced only from the rear dual XLR jacks, though SPL doesn't give much info on suggested connection. Am I right in assuming that you should be able to use a Y adapter to take the dual 3-pin rear XLR jacks and allow connection with a single 4-pin XLR headphone jack? I'm late to the game and just now playing around with balanced cables (yay!) so forgive my ignorance. Is something like the attached pic the way to go? Thanks!

you can use a why adapter, or get a cable that has two xlrs on it. I did this with mine. Ran it out the back under my desk and drilled and mounted two ports.

Attachments

• IMG_0435(1).JPG
    IMG_0435(1).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0438(1).JPG
    IMG_0438(1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #921 of 1,049
I went through 22 pages and then towards the end of the thread. Very helpful information. As I was also considering the Toppings A90 D, this comment on the SPL was very helpful.
the Phonitor XE is what I have and it is in my opinion an upgrade, it has more power, versatility, “darker/deeper”? Backgrounds better imaging etc.... . Both are excellent at not coloring the sound, though the Phonitor in my opinion is just better. Also, after having both, I did notice the Phonitor was not fatiguing over time

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #922 of 1,049
To me the Phonitor 2 has just the right amount of warmth that even a pair of HD 800s (not S) don't need anything else. And it does a surprisingly good job with the DT 800 / 600s.

Alas, mine is in the hospital. Wish it a full and speedy recovery! :D

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #923 of 1,049
I went through 22 pages and then towards the end of the thread. Very helpful information. As I was also considering the Toppings A90 D, this comment on the SPL was very helpful.
the Phonitor XE is what I have and it is in my opinion an upgrade, it has more power, versatility, “darker/deeper”? Backgrounds better imaging etc.... . Both are excellent at not coloring the sound, though the Phonitor in my opinion is just better. Also, after having both, I did notice the Phonitor was not fatiguing over time
I agree the Phonitor xe is a terrific amp. After many amps and phones over many years, I think the HD800S and Phonitor xe is the best combination out there for classical music. (I use a Marantz SA10 as a digital source.) But I would say generally that it makes more sense to assess combinations - rather than particular phones or amps in isolation. Combinations here, I think, are much more critical than with loudspeakers and speaker amps. It seems musical interests are also pretty important - I'm not sure listeners to different kinds of music are really looking for the same things when it comes to playback.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #924 of 1,049
Going on 2 years. On standby 24/7, used daily. No issues. Still not looking for a replacement.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #930 of 1,049
I found the XE manual, and I was incorrect. I guess the VU meter change is only on the X model. I thought it was just a preamp removal, but I guess they swapped the whole dip panel.
There is a front panel switch for VU meter level on the Phonitor 2. It has three positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back