SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #992 of 1,054
@xtr4, what in detail do you mean with sound signature?
I meant that the XE sounds exactly like the source you plug into it. It doesn't add or remove anything from the source signature. So it'll sound exactly like the Hugo2 or Holo May or RME, as if you're plugging it directly into them.

Some amps, for example, the Violetric V2xx series, they might add a bit of warmth or soften the top end.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #994 of 1,054
I now had some further readings here and my choice is coming down to 2-3 DAC-Amp combis:

Violectric 380/590 or Phonitor XE/DAC

Are here any comparisons available between the Violectric and the Phonitor sound signature? In particular the 380 and the XE are roughly in the same money ballpark.

Is a 590 the around 1k USD/EUR worth? What exactly are the main relevant differences?

My headphones are AB1266, however I might test other headphones later.

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #995 of 1,054
There are giant Violectric threads here on the forums and many, many fans. Fried's stuff is worth price paid.

Build quality on the Vios is better than Phonitor. Support is good from both companies.

It comes down mostly to what I wrote above. If one amp or dac was better than all others in a given price range, nobody would buy anything but that. There are too many other considerations and what sounds best is still a personal decision.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #996 of 1,054
The Phonitor 2 does not seem happy with low impedance dynamics. I don't run any planars off mine, I use a V280 (desktop rig) or Master 19 (big rig) over XLR.
Oh yes. Sony MDR M1ST is ruined on Phonitor 2. Neumann NDH30 made me nearly cry "Feeling Good - Nina Simone" and I could not stand that song any more because I have heard it too much.

Edit: I thought a little bit about how harsh RUINED is, and I would say it is fine. Some songs really shine with bass and mids. Treble not sure. Limits get too obvious, which I already knew with the M1ST. It is the back of the headphone reflects or is feelable somewhat.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #997 of 1,054
Hi guys. I need some advices. SPL Phonitor SE is about $1k Australia dollars now in Australia. Do you think this deal is a bargain or not? What is the difference between SPL Phonitor E and SE model. I see that the SE does not support XLR headphone output? Whats else? My main headphones are Sennheiser HD650 and Denon D9200. I am thinking about purchase Sennheiser HD800s in the near future. Thank you for your opinions.

Edit so from the pictures on the web I see that the SE version is the cut off the E version like now XLR input and output. SE is about RCA and 6.3mm headphone output only. They said that the SE It has the same audio signal amplification as its bigger brothers Phonitor x and Phonitor xe. With the optional DA converter, it can also play from digital sources. Plus only 2 matrix presets.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #998 of 1,054
I wish they had left the Preamp function on the XE instead of (what appears) removing it for another headphone jack and maybe one other source input. I think that was a real misstep. Does anyone know of any other reason they took that functionality out? Did they think it sounded better without the preamp?

On a side note, I don't remember if I posted this, but the guy who repaired my XE said the SPL stuff is very stable and solid and they almost never get or hear of problems with them. I think one of the guys over at Headphones.com said the same thing. My confusion over the rate of problem units was from (I believe) an unclear statement by the repair place when they were discussing the repair queue with me.

I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 running into my XE into Senn 800 right now and the sound is really great. Clean, clear, spacious, relaxed with an analogue sound. Everything just sounds "right". The timbre is spot on as well. Zero complaints.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,000 of 1,054
about the SPL .... SE, I can only point you into the direction where you should find some info about impedance sound change. It seems like SPL or just the Phonitor 2 really want more high impedance headphones. Or in other words.... 70+ ohms maybe. IEMs is a no-go I would say especially when there are better IEM-centric amps.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,003 of 1,054
Going back and forth between the qutest/anni stack vs phonitor xe with the 768 dac. Anyone heard both? Headphone would be dca stealth.
I have a maybe really stupid question. What is the Anni stack?

I've heard the Phonitor X with built in DAC. I wasn't blown away. I thought it was serviceable and pleasant sounding and that was about it. Nothing special at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back