SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #632 of 1,049
You can use any IR remote. I use the remote that came with my Rockna Wavedream.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #634 of 1,049
No worries. Someone gave me amp/hp Stax Lambda set for free since they were defective*. Turned out, that balance/volume (same knob two rings, on Stax amp) was shifted to one channel only. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #635 of 1,049
RE: getting the trigger to work with normal stuff (not just SPL's amps.)

To get the Phonitor X to trigger other devices you need to bridge a resistor. (It is outputting a non-slandered voltage for a trigger. Phonitor x normally has less that 100mA out at trigger 12V output.)
1627227364254.png

1627227316474.png

1627227390200.png

In the end i didn't need to solder anything. I just stuck the wire in and then taped it down.
If that didn't work i was going to try to draw a trace, but the wire/tape worked so i didn't try anything else. (The tape really wasn't needed either.)

Now when i turn on the Phonitor the Niles AC-3 turns on/off Schiit Aegirs monoblocks going to my desktop speakers.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #636 of 1,049
Wouldn't something like THIS work?

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #637 of 1,049
there are tons of options to GET triggered, but something has to send the trigger. By default SPL sends a non standard trigger signal. The thing you linked to would respond to a trigger to turn on and off power plugs. Options like that are nice for amps that don't have built in triggers (like my amps) - but that unit is costly compared to other options. IMO all amps should come in a trigger. Almost anything used in a home theater will have input in. Processer and AVRs have trigger outs.

So for me, when i turn on the Phonitor X, the amps turn on too. (and when i turn the Phonitor off, the amps shut off.)

The issue here was SPL non-standard implementation

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #638 of 1,049
It says that it can be triggered by both dc voltage and audio signal (rca). Internally adjustable. Manuals here

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #639 of 1,049
Also, wouldn't something like THIS suffice? Easy and no additional WiFi/Bluetooth interference to deal with.

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #640 of 1,049
nope. That isn't a trigger. The point is when a source turns on the amps are triggered and turned on (and off when the unit turns off.) People can do whatever they want. I was using a surge protector and was turning everyone on and off. That wasn't useful to me. I just wanted to the trigger to work like a normal trigger and the mod does that.
again, this is very normal common stuff. SPL just changed it a bit to only work with their amps. If someone wants to change it back to normal they can do the simple mod.

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #641 of 1,049
nope. That isn't a trigger. The point is when a source turns on the amps are triggered and turned on (and off when the unit turns off.) People can do whatever they want. I was using a surge protector and was turning everyone on and off. That wasn't useful to me. I just wanted to the trigger to work like a normal trigger and the mod does that.
again, this is very normal common stuff. SPL just changed it a bit to only work with their amps. If someone wants to change it back to normal they can do the simple mod.
Ok. Does it void warranty? I could be wrong but any modification is usually sufficient reason to refuse warranty service. If SPL confirms this mod as "safe", I would have nothing against it. Hope it makes reasonable case for being cautious with such mods.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #642 of 1,049
I hear a small noise/click every time my Phonitor xe (with DAC module) switches between PCM and DSD format songs. Is this normal? I don't hear any noise during PCM sample rate switch.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #643 of 1,049
I hear a small noise/click every time my Phonitor xe (with DAC module) switches between PCM and DSD format songs. Is this normal? I don't hear any noise during PCM sample rate switch.
The noise was less noticeable when I used my battery-powered MacBook as an endpoint for Roon. The SQ also improved a little compared to directly connecting xe to my Roon core miniPC via USB. I guess transport does make a difference...

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #644 of 1,049
It’s just a guess but, I believe majority of SPL owners opt out from build-in DAC option hence lock of responses to your question. With external DACs I didn’t find any issues whatsoever. Source matters. And today there are pretty good and inexpensive options outside of PC ecosystem.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #645 of 1,049
It’s just a guess but, I believe majority of SPL owners opt out from build-in DAC option hence lock of responses to your question. With external DACs I didn’t find any issues whatsoever. Source matters. And today there are pretty good and inexpensive options outside of PC ecosystem.
Perhaps the built-in DAC is not as good as some of the standalone DACs...But the chance is I need to spend much more to get a DAC that works well with xe. I chose to trust the engineers from SPL :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back