SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #617 of 1,049
It was super ez to add the remote control to the volume. That was great.
I didn't notice when i order it but am loving(!!!) the fact that this unit has trigger out!!
yes, even if you have stuff (likely an amp) that doesn't support a trigger you can still use it.

You can get something like this:
1624109045424.png

I'm going to connect that to the Schiit Vidar so it shuts off when i shut off the Phonitor.

oh.. the Vidar. It was better in my memory that what i'm hearing :) The flabby bass which i used to love.. now just felts off. But it is fine for now. I have a stack of schiit amp (at one point i was using them for my HT. Each speaker had a schiit monoblock. But in the end.. that was a lot of heat and power - so... they are filling up limit NYC apt storage. ie, under the sofa.)

UPDATE: It doesn't seem to be working (the trigger that is) - i wonder if they did something funky. 12v triggers should be generic.
I opened a ticket with them.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #618 of 1,049
Hi, I want to buy phonitor x 2nd hand, but the owner doesn’t know the unit comes with which dac, 192 or 768xs, how do you check?
He said he bought it early 2020
Get serial number and email SPL. You should get an answer in a day or two. That was my experience as far as communication goes.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #619 of 1,049
It was super ez to add the remote control to the volume. That was great.
I am using some Topping basic remote with my Phonitor2. Works great. Very handy. I might have to swap ladder attenuator in my vintage pre for something more modern (like Khozmo). Since pre and amps need a refresh, I might ask the guy to put that in.
Phonitor2 sure has bunch of handy features. But what you guys thing about single ended connector’s quality? I think they could have spend few more cents on those to be honest with you.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #620 of 1,049
Hi, I want to buy phonitor x 2nd hand, but the owner doesn’t know the unit comes with which dac, 192 or 768xs, how do you check?
He said he bought it early 2020
Whatever it is might i suggest picking up something else :)
Hey, it nice that it is there, but neither are great dacs. If you aren't looking to spend a bunch of money.. maybe check out a mid level schiit dac. (or a fancy R2R dac (multi bit.. ladder.. all the same.)

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #621 of 1,049
I haven’t tried Phonitor2 as a dedicated preamp yet. I would assume that it doesn’t get in the way of sound much.
40 wpc is nothing to sneeze at…… Those speakers must be very demanding or drop to 2 Ohms or even lower.

it wasn't the speakers or the amp it was crappy Audioquest junk.
Not only do they just lie and make up science. They make super costly stuff with likely little diff form less costly quality interconnect/cables - but i've find they actively make stuff worse.
I disconnect anything with the pointless battery pack crap on it too. They almost always add extra hum/noise to my loop.
(I never really drank the coolaid.. but "what if am i'm missing something" does eat in my brain. I have $1000s of of cables... hell i have a lot of cables that are $1000 each (yes, i'm a dummy) - zero diff.
The reason the amps were going into over volt was because of the AQ speaker cables (i testing two of them. Robinhood and rocket 88 - both of them did it.)
You know what doesn't? Bluejeans... *sigh*
Blue jean cables are great but aren't pretty .. and jewelry is important :)
Wireworld cables speaks to me for some reason and don't make things worse at least :) - but i'm sick of spending this much on speaker cable when the BJ ones do the job.

also FU power conditioner ... i know you aren't doing jack and just taking up space!

ok.. sorry about the rant! :)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #622 of 1,049
OK, so I've got a handful of hours on my Phonitor 2. I had really wanted the XE, but a local deal on the 2 was too tempting, and the 2 does everything I need it to. Mine was made in 2020, and original owner had just bought it a couple months back but had rearranged their setup and was no longer using it. Wow, talk about a black background; clean, transparent, those are the words that immediately come to mind with this amp. I love the crossfeed implementation on this, and if you don't overdo your settings it can be left on without worry for all your music. The remote functionality is very nice to have. I can see this becoming my most used headamp, wish I had gotten one sooner!

0FAvpbO.jpg

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #623 of 1,049
it wasn't the speakers or the amp it was crappy Audioquest junk.
Not only do they just lie and make up science. They make super costly stuff with likely little diff form less costly quality interconnect/cables - but i've find they actively make stuff worse.
I disconnect anything with the pointless battery pack crap on it too. They almost always add extra hum/noise to my loop.
(I never really drank the coolaid.. but "what if am i'm missing something" does eat in my brain. I have $1000s of of cables... hell i have a lot of cables that are $1000 each (yes, i'm a dummy) - zero diff.
The reason the amps were going into over volt was because of the AQ speaker cables (i testing two of them. Robinhood and rocket 88 - both of them did it.)
You know what doesn't? Bluejeans... *sigh*
Blue jean cables are great but aren't pretty .. and jewelry is important :)
Wireworld cables speaks to me for some reason and don't make things worse at least :) - but i'm sick of spending this much on speaker cable when the BJ ones do the job.

also FU power conditioner ... i know you aren't doing jack and just taking up space!

ok.. sorry about the rant! :)
No worries. Been there, done that….. for years. Best cable is no cable. And since no such a thing exists, we should thrive for cable that gets away from signal path as much as possible. Easier said than done, I know. Cables that do add their own signature are simply a “tuning” devices for those of us with fat wallets and OCD problems. With that being said, I don’t advocate for anyone to go to their nearest hardware store and purchase 25c per foot lamp cord. Quality copper, connectors, isolation/shielding does matter. Spending little fortune on cables is counterproductive in achieving meaningful improvements. Upgrading components, room acoustics (in case of speaker setup) or dedicated electric line with 20 amp breaker (in regards to your conditioners rant) give far better results. So yeah, I am kind of with you on that topic.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #624 of 1,049
OK, so I've got a handful of hours on my Phonitor 2. I had really wanted the XE, but a local deal on the 2 was too tempting, and the 2 does everything I need it to. Mine was made in 2020, and original owner had just bought it a couple months back but had rearranged their setup and was no longer using it. Wow, talk about a black background; clean, transparent, those are the words that immediately come to mind with this amp. I love the crossfeed implementation on this, and if you don't overdo your settings it can be left on without worry for all your music. The remote functionality is very nice to have. I can see this becoming my most used headamp, wish I had gotten one sooner!

0FAvpbO.jpg
Agree. Resolution, black background, cleanness (but not %100 analytical) are strengths of Phonitor2. And I also enjoy Matrix if it’s applied within reasonable scope of reality. It also works with vast number of headphones. From high impedance dynamic drivers to low impedance planars. Glad to hear you like it. It’s a really nice amp IMO.

Edit added Q: tell me more about that Black ICE box.
(Nevermind. I looked into their entire line. I just wasn’t aware Fosgate designs stuff for used to be Jolida/Black Ice now.)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #625 of 1,049
dedicated electric line with 20 amp breaker
That was my covid project. (well.. i guess trying to get covid? because i had workers come in the apt? Maybe a poor choice now that i look back.)
I ran 2x 20amp dedicated lines behind my TV/media center/blah blah area. another 20amp to my desktop (nearfiled.)
The project with all the smashing, painting and labor... was cheaper that the worthless AQ power filters I threw out after the lines were installed.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #626 of 1,049
That was my covid project. (well.. i guess trying to get covid? because i had workers come in the apt? Maybe a poor choice now that i look back.)
I ran 2x 20amp dedicated lines behind my TV/media center/blah blah area. another 20amp to my desktop (nearfiled.)
The project with all the smashing, painting and labor... was cheaper that the worthless AQ power filters I threw out after the lines were installed.
Well, in that case, power conditioning is probably waste of money. Better ones, might work to certain degree with digital components. And even then, its a hit or miss outcome. Turntable's power supply or speed controller might benefit from more uniformed sine wave. Surprisingly, power coming into our homes is relatively stable and waveform distortion is rather associated with equipment we run in our homes and electric work quality. Most components are designed to work within certain degree or variables. Poorly designed (outdated) electric grid, could cause current drop and raise harmonic distortion. That last part is probably where this "black background" we all refere to, can be an issue. Again, mostly affecting components working in digital domain. Stable current and less pollution could be beneficial to above mentioned turntable's speed stability and perhaps, very sensitive and finicky photostages.
I am not electrician but that's my basic knowledge on that subject.
Personally, I use inexpensive means of protection for my tv, routers, modems, streaming devices. It says that it does some basic conditioning function but I couldn't care less (common and differential mode filters. Claims lowering noise by 20+dB). I also own non current limiting power conditioning thingy. Someone I once knew designed it and tried to make some sort of income out of it. Does it work? Subconsciously, I want to believe it. Does it really work? Who knows..... My TT DC motor, speed box, phonostage and dac/streamer are the only things connected to it. Amps are always plugged directly to the wall.
Another point I would like to make is this. Those new LED lights, dimmers, computers, modems/routers and alike is always an issue if run on same AC line. Those are probably the biggest offenders. IMO of cause.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #627 of 1,049
@FYFL ah.. didn't notice you are in NYC too. There is pretty good power here in NYC (unless like, my fokes, you are in a brownstone that has 150+ year old wiring.) Also requiring internal wiring to be grounded to the metal sleeve of the run is helpful too. (costly... but fixes a bunch of issues.)
I'm in Dumbo and there is a sub station like 4 blocks away too. There are new power lines in the street too as they are building a monster building across from my apt building and almost everything in the ground is being replaced. (power, water, internet lines.. ugh.. it has been a disruptive 2 years as they build that thing.)
... the down side is when they start to fill the building up the always packed York st subway stop is going to be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #628 of 1,049
@FYFL ah.. didn't notice you are in NYC too. There is pretty good power here in NYC (unless like, my fokes, you are in a brownstone that has 150+ year old wiring.) Also requiring internal wiring to be grounded to the metal sleeve of the run is helpful too. (costly... but fixes a bunch of issues.)
I'm in Dumbo and there is a sub station like 4 blocks away too. There are new power lines in the street too as they are building a monster building across from my apt building and almost ANYTHING in the ground is being replaced. (power, water, internet lines.. ugh.. it has been a disruptive 2 years as they build that thing.)
... the down side is when they start to fill the building up the always packed York st subway stop is going to be a nightmare.
We’re almost neighbors (Greenpoint). Yup, I know a thing or two about old house problems. 100 years old house we live in, was given a face lift to meet today’s standards. I am actually in the process of upgrading my main electric power panels. Those are for other parts of the house but it still should help stabilize demand for power hungry appliances and such. Power “conditioning” is simply no substitution or a bandaid for poor/insufficient power delivery.

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #629 of 1,049
So, since I ended up with a Phonitor 2 instead of the originally planned XE and I'd like to be able to use the balanced connection. The 2 has an ability to run balanced only from the rear dual XLR jacks, though SPL doesn't give much info on suggested connection. Am I right in assuming that you should be able to use a Y adapter to take the dual 3-pin rear XLR jacks and allow connection with a single 4-pin XLR headphone jack? I'm late to the game and just now playing around with balanced cables (yay!) so forgive my ignorance. Is something like the attached pic the way to go? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.13.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.13.43 AM.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #630 of 1,049
Depends what you want. You could use XLR adapter or have custom cables made for any particular headphones.
Maybe someone can chime in and
correct me, but. I'm not even sure if Phonitor2 is a true balanced design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back