SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #646 of 1,043
Anyone have compared the phonitor SE and phonitor X, is there any difference in sound quality? Thinking of getting the SE because of its small form factor compared to the X/XE..

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #647 of 1,043
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or not but……
I was contemplating an option to use pre-outs on my Phonitor2 to drive more power demanding headphones (such as HE6-SE V2). So I reached out to SPL (again) with few questions in that regard. Response was very prompt on all occasions I might add.
First, I wanted to know if both XLRs and 6.3mm are active at the same time after rerouting the power (via dip switches) to XLRs out? A - no they are not. Once in XLR pre-out mode, its headphone 6.3mm output jack is disabled.
Question 2 was regarding power gain when going through XLR pre-outs. A- 6dB.
SPL is kind of a sensitive instrument and due to many reports of various issues, I always want to make sure with manufacturer regarding safe way about operational changes that could either void warranty or cause some issues. I also asked about adapter (double 3pin to 4pin) and it’s pretty straightforward. I was advised to contact distributor for assistance. Good ppl to deal with. Definitely adds value to ownership.
Hope it helps and apologies if those issues where already mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #649 of 1,043
I purchased a new Phonitor e at a generous discount which arrive yesterday. Generally very happy with the sound. My only slight dissapointment is that I don't find the matrix presets to be to my taste. While the change in stereo balance is nice, it also affects the tonal balance. Not enjoying this so much with orchestral music through my Focal Clear OGs. Maybe my ears/brain just need some time to adjust.

Other users have done a far better job than I could of describing the sound. The real purpose of this post is to relate that the digital coax input on the inbuilt 768xs DAC is buggered. Has anyone else had this problem? The retailer has been great and they're arranging to send out a replacement unit, so no complaints there.
Congrats on your new Phonitor e. I'm sure it sounds fantastic. BTW isn't Phonitor e already discontinued?

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #651 of 1,043
Discontinued? Yep. That's why I got a generous discount. IMO the best time to buy is when a model has recently been replaced, in this case by the slightly-less-feature-rich Phonitor SE.
I would prefer e too, for the balanced output :)

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #652 of 1,043
I purchased a new Phonitor e at a generous discount which arrive yesterday. Generally very happy with the sound. My only slight dissapointment is that I don't find the matrix presets to be to my taste. While the change in stereo balance is nice, it also affects the tonal balance. Not enjoying this so much with orchestral music through my Focal Clear OGs. Maybe my ears/brain just need some time to adjust.

Other users have done a far better job than I could of describing the sound. The real purpose of this post is to relate that the digital coax input on the inbuilt 768xs DAC is buggered. Has anyone else had this problem? The retailer has been great and they're arranging to send out a replacement unit, so no complaints there.
Congrats on your purchase, and I am pleased to hear that the retailer is addressing your damaged unit.

Re the matrix, when I listen to classical music, I invariably switch the matrix off. Where the matrix does come into its own, is when I listen to those older jazz records with very artificial all left or all right mixing. I find the matrix makes these albums much more listenable.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #654 of 1,043
Hi all, I'll have to have a good read through this thread. I've been looking at the Phonitor X as for my use case I think it could be quite beneficial. In my studio, I am currently using an Audient ID44 interface which is powering Focal Shape 50 monitors & my Focal Clear OG headphones. Whilst this does a great job with the monitors, due to it's high impedance, it's not really suited for the Clear.
I was thinking of the Phonitor X to drive both my monitors and headphones with the advantages being that I can tweak the balance (I have stronger hearing on the right side) and use the matrix for mixing.

Any thoughts?

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #655 of 1,043
I guess Phonitor X is the only option in SPL lineup that combines headphone amp and pre-amp?

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #657 of 1,043
Hi all, I'll have to have a good read through this thread. I've been looking at the Phonitor X as for my use case I think it could be quite beneficial. In my studio, I am currently using an Audient ID44 interface which is powering Focal Shape 50 monitors & my Focal Clear OG headphones. Whilst this does a great job with the monitors, due to it's high impedance, it's not really suited for the Clear.
I was thinking of the Phonitor X to drive both my monitors and headphones with the advantages being that I can tweak the balance (I have stronger hearing on the right side) and use the matrix for mixing.

Any thoughts?
Phonitor 2 had “balance” adjustment as well as other tools to check playback. Balance adj isn't your typical balance knob. From what I can hear and tell, it appears to shift right and left channel image while center image remains the same, sort of speak. It is very subtle change in balance.
It also has pre-amp out/switch.
Matrix also has more option for fine tuning. From more angle choices to center image/vocal shift (auto-manual). What it does is, it compensates for vocal presentation being slightly too forward due to Matrix processing.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #658 of 1,043
Has anybody else noticed a dramatic difference in impact/slam, detail, and staging comparing the balanced out vs. the 1/4in output of their Phonitor XE (or other models)?

Recently purchased the Drop x Senn HD8XX and when I plugged it into the Phonitor XE via 1/4in, it was among the worst headphones I ever heard. This was my first time using the 1/4in on the Phonitor and I didn't have an HD8xx-series balanced cable so I tried the HD8XX in my Lyr 3 and things improved significantly (but I still returned the headphone).

Now I'm digging a bit more into the XLR vs. 1/4in TRS on the Phonitor with other headphones and the difference is significant. Right now I'm using just stereo, no laterality or Matrix.

Testing with both the HiFiman Ananda and DCA Aeon 2 Noire, the XLR has significantly better bass impact (and I think is simply louder in the bass), more detail in the highs, more lifelike vocals, and slightly more instrument separation.

I've tried level matching as much as I can by ear, but that's of course imperfect. I think I'm pretty well level-matched though as the highs do seem louder (and brighter) on the 1/4in than XLR.

My chain is a Bifrost 2 > Lokius > Phonitor XE, all via XLR. Doesn't matter if Lokius is on or off. The difference is bigger with the Ananda than the Noire.

Oct 4, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #659 of 1,043
Even with so much care I have put into my Phonitor X lettering started come off already. Bought this last Nov...
20210123_151159.jpg
Very disapointing but at least it will be fixed under warranty...

Now have to live with borrowed SMSL SP200,......
Until it is fixed...
The lettering issue is real. The 'ON' on my xe started to come off after (nearly) one year usage. I really tried not to touch the letters when switching it on and off. But still...
TBH QC of SPL is really disappointing. I'm afraid this issue affects more than just a small batch of xe/x...

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #660 of 1,043
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or not but……
I was contemplating an option to use pre-outs on my Phonitor2 to drive more power demanding headphones (such as HE6-SE V2). So I reached out to SPL (again) with few questions in that regard. Response was very prompt on all occasions I might add.
First, I wanted to know if both XLRs and 6.3mm are active at the same time after rerouting the power (via dip switches) to XLRs out? A - no they are not. Once in XLR pre-out mode, its headphone 6.3mm output jack is disabled.
Question 2 was regarding power gain when going through XLR pre-outs. A- 6dB.
SPL is kind of a sensitive instrument and due to many reports of various issues, I always want to make sure with manufacturer regarding safe way about operational changes that could either void warranty or cause some issues. I also asked about adapter (double 3pin to 4pin) and it’s pretty straightforward. I was advised to contact distributor for assistance. Good ppl to deal with. Definitely adds value to ownership.
Hope it helps and apologies if those issues where already mentioned somewhere in this thread.
Hi FYFL, do you know if the output via Phonitor 2 rear balanced is the same as Phonitor XE 4 pin XLR? Read a review saying XE XLR output is double the power of its 1/4 jack output. Just wondering if that means XE has double le the circuitry in the amp section compared to Phonitor 2. Did not get a reply from SPL through fb messenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back