SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #601 of 1,054
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #602 of 1,054
I read where a certain batch did not have the last step treatment that ”cures” the lettering and these got past QA.

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #603 of 1,054
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #604 of 1,054
I find it interesting:
I contacted SPL and was told some units were cleaned with a wrong cleaner during production (after anodizing the front panels). Hopefully they realized this problem soon enough and only a small percentage of Phonitor x/xe were affected.
Still....It's a QC issue that negatively affects the brand. Let's hope that it was a hiccup that has been resolved.

Also, as we're all aware. Most companies outsource various parts of the production. Enclosures are often sourced from manufacturer who specializes in such a product. Their source is possibly local due to logistics. So QC should be easily addressed with one phone call.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #606 of 1,054
Well I’m stoked, picked up an absolutely mint Phonitor 2 locally. Kinda wanted the XE originally but couldn’t pass up this deal. My HD800S have never sounded so good. Looking forward to spending time with it this weekend to really get a sense of it but so far I’m quite pleased.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #607 of 1,054
playing around with a new SPL.. shocking how light it is. I guess i'm just used to things with huge power supplies in them
1624053906944.png

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #608 of 1,054
playing around with a new SPL.. shocking how light it is. I guess i'm just used to things with huge power supplies in them
1624053906944.png
That's a tight fit.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #609 of 1,054
yeah. very busy looking too. I'm in the process of changing it up now.
I have a woo wa22 coming next week too and i'm not clear where that is going either... also why i'm going to have 3 headphone amps are my desk... hrmm.. but these aren't the questions audiophiles ask themselves.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #610 of 1,054
yeah. very busy looking too. I'm in the process of changing it up now.
I have a woo wa22 coming next week too and i'm not clear where that is going either... also why i'm going to have 3 headphone amps are my desk... hrmm.. but these aren't the questions audiophiles ask themselves.
No, asking those kind of questions would be silly. :wink:
And it's nice to have at least one of each, SS and tube amp to cover the basis. How do you like your Prima Luna amp? Raven Audio makes similar amps. Someone asked for advice regarding those two and I really do not have an opinion on it. Heard Prima Luna at show conditions long ago and it sounded pretty good for the money. I would imagine that they have improved on their designs since the last time I've heard them...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #611 of 1,054
The PrimaLuna is amazing. I'd strongly suggest anyone looking at AMP/PRE/or intergrated to take a peak at them.
The EVO 400 with KT150s can do 80+ watt per channel so can power most speakers (unless you are blasting them)
If only for headphones the EVO 300 is nice because you can use KT170s.. yummy. (they work in the 400, but just can't fit)

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #612 of 1,054
The PrimaLuna is amazing. I'd strongly suggest anyone looking at AMP/PRE/or intergrated to take a peak at them.
The EVO 400 with KT150s can do 80+ watt per channel so can power most speakers (unless you are blasting them)
If only for headphones the EVO 300 is nice because you can use KT170s.. yummy. (they work in the 400, but just can't fit)
Sometimes I long for auto-bias and remote control for my personal tube gear. And thanks. It seems that Prima Luna haven’t lost a beat.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #613 of 1,054
I was going to get a second EVO 300 just for headphones, but they are just so huge. That is why i got the WA22 (coming next week) it is smaller and full balanced.

ok, updated the nearfield. I moved the other PL back to the floor speakers and i'll use the SPL as the PRE... and my dark audiophile secret. shhh.. one of my fav amps in the schiit vidar. (also my cheapest amp.)
But nothing else will fit under my desk. I did try 2 schiit aegir monoblocks.. but my desktop speaker flipped them into protection. (maybe to much 4ohm demand?)
1624067706944.png

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #614 of 1,054
I'm interested in Beyer and Senn pairings :relaxed:
I own the Phonitor x + dac768xs and use it exclusively along beyerdynamic headphones (T1.2, T5.3, DT 880 600 Ohm, DT 770 250 Ohm). The Phonitor is simply outstanding and helping the highend headphones perform way, waaaaaay above their price tag. Fed with the right source (I am a vinyl guy, with a very high end turntable) it gets absurdly real and authentic, like you had "mini guitars" or "mini Elvis" next to or IN your ears. I use the Phonitor x as pre amp in the system as well, and its RCA outs go to the Feliks Audio Euforia, what a combination! I personally like the T1 best on the Feliks and the T5 with the SPL. Merely unbelievable.

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #615 of 1,054
I was going to get a second EVO 300 just for headphones, but they are just so huge. That is why i got the WA22 (coming next week) it is smaller and full balanced.

ok, updated the nearfield. I moved the other PL back to the floor speakers and i'll use the SPL as the PRE... and my dark audiophile secret. shhh.. one of my fav amps in the schiit vidar. (also my cheapest amp.)
But nothing else will fit under my desk. I did try 2 schiit aegir monoblocks.. but my desktop speaker flipped them into protection. (maybe to much 4ohm demand?)
1624067706944.png
I haven’t tried Phonitor2 as a dedicated preamp yet. I would assume that it doesn’t get in the way of sound much.
40 wpc is nothing to sneeze at…… Those speakers must be very demanding or drop to 2 Ohms or even lower. In that case, yeah, I can see some amps having trouble driving them.
Very nice setup btw.

Fed with the right source (I am a vinyl guy, with a very high end turntable) it gets absurdly real and authentic, like you had "mini guitars" or "mini Elvis" next to or IN your ears.
Vinyl is still alive and kicking harder then ever (at least in my lifetime). Best emotional experiences are hidden in the groove. But there’s place for any and all formats. Great job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back