SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 16, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #466 of 1,050
I can confirm too - this is how I use mine. See signature below :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #467 of 1,050
I can confirm too - this is how I use mine. See signature below :)
Thanks once again :) my kit is no where close to your amazing gear BTW r u using 12v trigger as well?

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #468 of 1,050
Hello tomwoo, out of curiosity can you comment on differences between the Mojo and the DAC768?
I haven't directly compared mojo and DAC768 yet. For that I need to obtain a RCA cable... But out of xe my Utopias sound much better than mojo, which I think is more suitable for driving IEMs.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #469 of 1,050
I haven't directly compared mojo and DAC768 yet. For that I need to obtain a RCA cable... But out of xe my Utopias sound much better than mojo, which I think is more suitable for driving IEMs.
Yeah, totally agree with your assessment on the Mojo, but IMO the tonality is spot on and it works much better against many other comparable low-cost devices as a DAC, I just wanted to see whether the 768 was on par or better than the Mojo in this regard because my unit doesn’t have the module and I’m contemplating about adding it to the mix.

On the same note, I’m under the impression that the Phonitor XE carries a different version of the DAC768 than all the other Phonitor models (something about 120V technology low pass filters), can anyone confirm and / or comment?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #470 of 1,050
THE SPL PHONITOR XE REVIEW at The Headphoneer had this write-up explaining the DAC768 situation so I've quoted it here:

The DAC768 and DAC768xs

If you want a built-in DAC for your Phonitor, the Phonitor xe comes with SPL´s DAC768, the Phonitor x, and Phonitor e are equipped with the “light-version” DAC768xs. Both DACs are built around the same “Velvetsound” AK4490EQ DAC chip and have an identical digital stage. They handle the same formats and sample rates.

The most visible difference is that the 768xs lacks the AES input, but the most significant difference lies in the analog stage that follows the DAC chip. The “maxed out version” DAC 768 has an analog stage that is equipped with SPL’s 120V Rail Amplifier, SPL’s “Profi-series” components, and Styroflex capacitors. The analog section of the DAC768xs (the “light version”) is less sophisticated, and also less power consuming.

The latter is an important reason why only the xe comes with the best DAC. According to SPL, the DAC768 is drawing too much power to be used with the Phonitor e and x. The Phonitor e has a smaller power supply than the Phonitor xe, whilst the Phonitor x has the same power supply, but needs that extra power for the preamplifier output. I guess SPL could have chosen to make it impossible to use the pre-amp and the headphone outputs at the same time, but they have not done that. It is also a matter of real estate: Previously, the e and the x came with a different DAC module called the DAC192, so the 768xs DAC is designed to take its place. The lack of an AES input is also a matter of saving real estate.

Edit: I have an XE that I bought used which includes the DAC768 but I've only tested that it works but haven't had much reason to actually use it. I use the DAC in my Sabaj D5 which is balanced out over to the Phonitor XE which I really enjoy using together.

I often look at the Phonitor X and it's features versus the XE and wonder if I'd prefer the X better. Might be a "grass is always greener" scenario though.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #471 of 1,050
For me the Phonitor X was a no brainer because I can attach my desktop monitors, plus I got a really tempting price offer for my particular piece. The subject of standalone vs integrated DAC is more nuanced in the lower price range: e.g. I’ve auditioned the Questyle CMA600i on a hi-end stereo system (we’re talking Avalon speakers and MSB gear) and it really stands out against other DACs at the price range up to 1.5 a 2K. Normally I’d expect any integrated DAC to be more like a convenience rather than a standout option, but I was tempted by the analog stage SPL offers on the 768. Pity that the X can only take the 768xs, I guess that puts the lid on any thought of buying into the DAC option.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #472 of 1,050
For me the Phonitor X was a no brainer because I can attach my desktop monitors, plus I got a really tempting price offer for my particular piece. The subject of standalone vs integrated DAC is more nuanced in the lower price range: e.g. I’ve auditioned the Questyle CMA600i on a hi-end stereo system (we’re talking Avalon speakers and MSB gear) and it really stands out against other DACs at the price range up to 1.5 a 2K. Normally I’d expect any integrated DAC to be more like a convenience rather than a standout option, but I was tempted by the analog stage SPL offers on the 768. Pity that the X can only take the 768xs, I guess that puts the lid on any thought of buying into the DAC option.
I opted for build-in DAC because I didn't have desktop DAC and using battery powered mojo wasn't very covinient. If I had a DAC probably I would choose the DAC-less version. But now I'm totally satisfied with my xe :gs1000smile:

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #473 of 1,050
Thanks once again :) my kit is no where close to your amazing gear BTW r u using 12v trigger as well?
Haha, very good question, yes it's an Emotiva ET-3. I'll update my signature 😁

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #474 of 1,050
Can anyone link me the difference between the Phonitor 2 and the X? I guess this has already been discussed.

Because i always only see what they cut off from the phonitor 2 and not what they added.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #475 of 1,050
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread.

Just as an update- I continue to be a big lover of my Phonitor X. I've upgraded my DAC to a Chord qutest. This has been a big upgrade to the standard internal DAC192 that my Phonitor X came with. I'm also running a Woo Audio WA6-SE via the RCA outs of the Phonitor X. In this configuration, per the users manual Phonitor X runs as a slave out to the Woo Audio WA6-SE. It totally bypasses the volume pot circuit and runs a ultra clean signal out using the amps impressive voltage rails. I've done listening experiments and I hear no difference between running my WA6-SE directly for the Chord qutest vs. running it through the Phonitor X! In this configuration Phonitor X acts as a preamp. Actually, with Phonitor X in the system adds, weight and dynamics to the signal. No doubt about it! I get the best of both worlds, solid-state via the Phonitor X and a high quality tube amp via the WA6-SE.

This is just a reminder that this amp to me has to be considered one of the best amps, not only for it's resolution and transparency but as for it's flexibility in being able to be the centerpiece for a very high quality system.

Just my report from the wild...
I was combing through this thread as I’m interested in Phonitor X amplifier/preamp. I’m not huge SS enthusiast but some headphones undeniably need a little more current than my tube amp can provide. After trying some cheap chi-fi hyped offerings I decided to invest in something more robust and well regarded. Phonitor X looks like a good product and it has some very interesting features that might appeal to me (like Matrix).

My setup would probably look similar to what you described in your post. Having X run as a pre and use it as an alternative to tube amp on occasion that calls for it.
I have two questions.
One, is Matrix still pleasantly coming through your tube amp and second question, have you tried using tube amp as a preamp feeding Phonitor X? If so, what did you find? Thanks.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #476 of 1,050
Can anyone link me the difference between the Phonitor 2 and the X? I guess this has already been discussed.

Because i always only see what they cut off from the phonitor 2 and not what they added.
Okay i know it know. Had a very nice talk with the technician of SPL who told me much about the relation of hifi and studio and the nonsense of balanced in hifi. Very interesting.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #477 of 1,050
Even with so much care I have put into my Phonitor X lettering started come off already. Bought this last Nov...
20210123_151159.jpg

Very disapointing but at least it will be fixed under warranty...

Now have to live with borrowed SMSL SP200,......
Until it is fixed...

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #478 of 1,050
Even with so much care I have put into my Phonitor X lettering started come off already. Bought this last Nov...
20210123_151159.jpg
Very disapointing but at least it will be fixed under warranty...

Now have to live with borrowed SMSL SP200,......
Until it is fixed...
I'm sorry to hear that...
I got my xe last Nov too. So far the lettering is still intact. Fingers crossed! :fingers_crossed:

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #479 of 1,050
I'm sorry to hear that...
I got my xe last Nov too. So far the lettering is still intact. Fingers crossed! :fingers_crossed:
Hope yours are OK .. at least it is covered under warranty and what I heard I they replace with new front panel...may be improved one? :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #480 of 1,050
Hope yours are OK .. at least it is covered under warranty and what I heard I they replace with new front panel...may be improved one? :)
SPL said it was because wrong cleaning agent was used on some units. The replacement front panel should be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back