SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #451 of 1,050
I think you have to use one of the jumper setting I think it’s 4 to use the cross feed. Not sure.
I have a Phonitor 2. Here is a quote from the manual:

“Phonitor Matrix activation for the XLR outputs
With DIP switch 5 the Phonitor Matrix can be activated for the XLR outputs on the rear. This is useful if you want to connect a balanced headphone to the XLR outputs.
DIP switch 5: ON = The Phonitor Matrix is activated for the XLR outputs.”

there are only two DIP switches on the XE. Neither relates to the XLR out on the rear of the unit:

DIP switches
With the DIP switches (21) on the bottom of the unit the following settings can be chosen:
Level increase of the headphone output
By using the DIP switch 1 you can increase the level of the headphone outputs to better feed power-hungry headphones.
DIP switch 1: ON = The headphone output is boosted to +22 dB.
RCA input sensitivity
With DIP switch 2 you can change the sensitivity of RCA input.
DIP switch 2: ON = The analog RCA input sensitivity is changed from -10dBV (HiFi level) to 0dBu (Studio level).”

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #452 of 1,050
I have a Phonitor 2. Here is a quote from the manual:

“Phonitor Matrix activation for the XLR outputs
With DIP switch 5 the Phonitor Matrix can be activated for the XLR outputs on the rear. This is useful if you want to connect a balanced headphone to the XLR outputs.
DIP switch 5: ON = The Phonitor Matrix is activated for the XLR outputs.”

there are only two DIP switches on the XE. Neither relates to the XLR out on the rear of the unit:

DIP switches
With the DIP switches (21) on the bottom of the unit the following settings can be chosen:
Level increase of the headphone output
By using the DIP switch 1 you can increase the level of the headphone outputs to better feed power-hungry headphones.
DIP switch 1: ON = The headphone output is boosted to +22 dB.
RCA input sensitivity
With DIP switch 2 you can change the sensitivity of RCA input.
DIP switch 2: ON = The analog RCA input sensitivity is changed from -10dBV (HiFi level) to 0dBu (Studio level).”
Well I have the 2, and they come with 5 switches, I didn’t realize that the X only had 2.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #454 of 1,050
Can anyone with an XE confirm - does the crossfeed/matrix setting work on both the front and rear headphone outputs? An earlier post mentioned something about the matrix function only working on the front outputs...I'd want to use the rear outputs to reduce cable clutter. Thx!
I own an XE and can confirm that the matrix function works on both the front and rear headphone outputs.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #455 of 1,050
Thanks for the input. One more question - I've seen some disturbing reports that the silkscreen text on the faceplate has faded or rubbed off from some models. Does this defect affect all Phonitor models? Or are some models immune from it? That's probably the main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #458 of 1,050
Thanks for the input. One more question - I've seen some disturbing reports that the silkscreen text on the faceplate has faded or rubbed off from some models. Does this defect affect all Phonitor models? Or are some models immune from it? That's probably the main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger :frowning2:

Some people this has happened to, I have the X and have not had that problem. I usually pay attention to only really rubbing the switch and not the faceplate with my finger.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #459 of 1,050
SPL told me this wouldn't be a problem for recently made units.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #460 of 1,050
SPL told me this wouldn't be a problem for recently made units.
Thanks, good to know! Looks like for most places that sell them it ships directly from manufacturer; hopefully that means it's more likely to get a newer one and not one that sat in a warehouse for 3 years :)

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #461 of 1,050
No worries. My unit was manufactured only 4 months prior and it wasn't even shipped directly from SPL.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #462 of 1,050
Hello tomwoo, out of curiosity can you comment on differences between the Mojo and the DAC768?

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #463 of 1,050
Hi someone can help... I am starting on speaker setup , first speaker and wanted to confirm if I can use Phonitor X as a pre amp for any power amp and not just powered spekaer? Currently using integrated but would like to try dedicated power amp instead.
On the back of amp, it says Speaker output and wanted to confirm....attaching photo of the Phonitor
Thanks.
20210115_214725.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #464 of 1,050
Hi someone can help... I am starting on speaker setup , first speaker and wanted to confirm if I can use Phonitor X as a pre amp for any power amp and not just powered spekaer? Currently using integrated but would like to try dedicated power amp instead.
On the back of amp, it says Speaker output and wanted to confirm....attaching photo of the Phonitor
Thanks.20210115_214725.jpg

yes you can go from the speaker outs to a power amp, making the phonitor a pre-amp in that setup

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #465 of 1,050
Awesome thanks for the quick reply :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back