SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #436 of 1,054
I connect my LG v40 to my Phonitor all the time and it works great. Any DAP should be fine.

Thanks. That's my original thought. Curious though as I don't read a lot of users going this route. Most I see are with a dedicated DAC in the middle of the chain. Not much options for me to try from where I am so my decisions are mostly blind buys based on reviewers and users feedback.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #437 of 1,054
Hi. Newbie here when it comes to desktop amp and dac setups as I'm more of an IEM guy. I recently received my Empyrean and I've been listening to it with my A&K daps. A lot of people advised me to get a proper desktop setup to maximize the potential of my headphone so I just ordered a Phonitor XE amp yesterday for this purpose.

Now my inexperienced question is, would it sound good if I connect my DAP directly to the Phonitor XE? Do any of you guys do this?
Or should I get a DAC like RME ADI-2 DAC FS to be linked in between my laptop and amp?

Thanks in advance.
I bought my Phonitor xe with the optional built-in DAC768 and enjoy it immensely. However, I also wanted to experience an R2R DAC and recently purchased a Denafrips Venus II. I love both DACs, but, whereas the DAC768 is smooth and revealing, the Venus II's game is on a higher level and creates an emotive visceral connection with the music. The size of the Venus is not much larger than the Phonitor and sits nicely underneath. I have also connected my A&K SP2000 to the Phonitor, but don't find this as convenient as playing music from my iMac.
tempImageu5kGm0.jpg

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #438 of 1,054
Cool setup! Unfortunately, the Denafrips DAC is well above my budget for a DAC. I got the Phonitor XE without the DAC768 option and I was thinking that if I connect the SP2000 direct to the Phonitor XE, I'd be in effect using the built in DAC of the SP2000. Not sure, if I make sense.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #440 of 1,054
Cool setup! Unfortunately, the Denafrips DAC is well above my budget for a DAC. I got the Phonitor XE without the DAC768 option and I was thinking that if I connect the SP2000 direct to the Phonitor XE, I'd be in effect using the built in DAC of the SP2000. Not sure, if I make sense.

I have older SP1000 and I sometimes connect it to Phonitor using balanced line out... it works fine.... if you get AK branded cable, it is cost of a DAC over $1000, but got mine from Ebay for around $150

being a little lazy, I am using Bluetooth remote control. Have both AK remote I used with AK300 and a Fiio one. It seems any Bluetooth remote works

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #441 of 1,054
This is how I connect SP1000 to Phonitor
20201118_183924.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #442 of 1,054
What's the termination on the other end of the SP1000 cable?

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #443 of 1,054
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #444 of 1,054
So, recently I was discussing with a friend some inconsistencies I found regarding the power output of the phonitor X. Perhaps this has been discussed before or if someone has clarifying info it would be much appreciated. On the SPL site there is this information of max power via xlr of 0.7 watts @ 32 ohms.

px.PNG

On other sites we get the max power at 2.7 watts @ 32 ohms (which seems to be what most sites list)

px2.PNG

I do not have much knowledge around the internals of amps so could use some clarification here. I am asking because I have HE6(s) which I typically power from a speaker amp with the Phonitor as pre-amp. However when I drive them via the Phonitor XLR on max gain (dip switches) I can barely tolerate past 9am on the volume dial. I have compared to other amps like the GSX MK2 which I believe is 7 watts @ 50ohms of class A goodness, and they have a harder time powering my he6 than my phonitor does. Can someone please explain this to me? I am assuming this has to do with the Voltair tech, but don't have a clear understanding.

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #445 of 1,054
Hi. Newbie here when it comes to desktop amp and dac setups as I'm more of an IEM guy. I recently received my Empyrean and I've been listening to it with my A&K daps. A lot of people advised me to get a proper desktop setup to maximize the potential of my headphone so I just ordered a Phonitor XE amp yesterday for this purpose.

Now my inexperienced question is, would it sound good if I connect my DAP directly to the Phonitor XE? Do any of you guys do this?
Or should I get a DAC like RME ADI-2 DAC FS to be linked in between my laptop and amp?

Thanks in advance.
Your DAP will be fine, but the RME will be better.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #447 of 1,054
So, recently I was discussing with a friend some inconsistencies I found regarding the power output of the phonitor X. Perhaps this has been discussed before or if someone has clarifying info it would be much appreciated. On the SPL site there is this information of max power via xlr of 0.7 watts @ 32 ohms.

px.PNG

On other sites we get the max power at 2.7 watts @ 32 ohms (which seems to be what most sites list)

px2.PNG

I do not have much knowledge around the internals of amps so could use some clarification here. I am asking because I have HE6(s) which I typically power from a speaker amp with the Phonitor as pre-amp. However when I drive them via the Phonitor XLR on max gain (dip switches) I can barely tolerate past 9am on the volume dial. I have compared to other amps like the GSX MK2 which I believe is 7 watts @ 50ohms of class A goodness, and they have a harder time powering my he6 than my phonitor does. Can someone please explain this to me? I am assuming this has to do with the Voltair tech, but don't have a clear understanding.

Thanks!
In the Phonitor X manual (pg 31), shows the SPL site has flipped the specs in what I'll attribute to input error on the site.

Max. Output power (at +30 dBu @ 1 kHz)
2 x 1 W at 600 Ohm impedance
2 x 2 W at 300 Ohm impedance
2x 3.7 W at 120 Ohm impedance
2x 2.9 W at 47 Ohm impedance
2x 2.7 W at 32 Ohm impedance

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #448 of 1,054
Can anyone with an XE confirm - does the crossfeed/matrix setting work on both the front and rear headphone outputs? An earlier post mentioned something about the matrix function only working on the front outputs...I'd want to use the rear outputs to reduce cable clutter. Thx!

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #449 of 1,054
Can anyone with an XE confirm - does the crossfeed/matrix setting work on both the front and rear headphone outputs? An earlier post mentioned something about the matrix function only working on the front outputs...I'd want to use the rear outputs to reduce cable clutter. Thx!

On the X the crossfeed function only works for the front outputs.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #450 of 1,054
I think you have to use one of the jumper setting I think it’s 4 to use the cross feed. Not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back