SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #496 of 1,050
Hi All,

Anyone have experience with SPL support? Do they generally late or ignore in replying any queries? Sent query for getting some assistance with warranty support and no reply for a week?

Is this their general support time frame? Supposed to high end product yet their support has been utterly disappointing.....

Purchased brand new in Nov, in Jan lettering started come off, and now 3 weeks without my amp...... trying to get some answer from SPL without any reply...
Did you use their support ticket query? https://support.spl.audio
Personally, I generally got quick replies albeit within a week's timeframe.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #497 of 1,050
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #498 of 1,050
Can anyone here confirm/deny that balanced output of Phonitor E has superior sound presentation than from single-ended? I just read from one review that this is the case with Phonitor XE.
Currently I'm getting Phonitor SE, but would think about stepping up the game, if balanced is worth it.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #499 of 1,050
Can anyone here confirm/deny that balanced output of Phonitor E has superior sound presentation than from single-ended? I just read from one review that this is the case with Phonitor XE.
Currently I'm getting Phonitor SE, but would think about stepping up the game, if balanced is worth it.

Thanks!
Which reviewer?

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #501 of 1,050
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #504 of 1,050
Mar 9, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #508 of 1,050
Mar 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #509 of 1,050
The only issue I see might be with driving HE-6 through SE output, which are extremely inefficient. I didn't see any real comparison between SE vs XLR. Also, he's not 100% correct. Phonitor 2 can be run balanced. It is clearly explained in manual/brochure. I've also confirmed this with SPL support. So there you go.
How can Phonitor 2 be run balanced when it is unbalanced?

XLR output of the Phonitor X should generally be inferior to the SE output as the Phonitor 2/X/XE or whatever is unbalanced. It can create some kind of distortion though that some people seem to find pleasing, similar to that of tubes.

Thats what the guy who build this thing told me.

Personally also i wouldn't run something like a HE-6 from the Phonitor. I think it's already at it's limit with my HD250 Linear 600 ohm.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #510 of 1,050
How can Phonitor 2 be run balanced when it is unbalanced?

XLR output of the Phonitor X should generally be inferior to the SE output as the Phonitor 2/X/XE or whatever is unbalanced. It can create some kind of distortion though that some people seem to find pleasing, similar to that of tubes.

Thats what the guy who build this thing told me.

Personally also i wouldn't run something like a HE-6 from the Phonitor. I think it's already at it's limit with my HD250 Linear 600 ohm.
I never understood the notion of using balance with not true balanced design. But what do I know.
According to ASR all that matters is numbers. What constitutes to get those numbers is irrelevant. SMH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back