SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Mar 9, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #511 of 1,050
I never understood the notion of using balance with not true balanced design. But what do I know.
According to ASR all that matters is numbers. What constitutes to get those numbers is irrelevant. SMH
There is none. It was only build in because hifi people like XLR outs.

I wonder why Amir says it's a balanced headphone amp? Is everything that includes XLR balanced for him?

Apart from that i have the absolute opposite experience from listening with it. I think it favors low to medium high impedance headphone while it doesn't feel happy with high impedance cans. Increasing the gain over 0dB creates massive distortion.

It's time for me to buy a Topping L30, A50S or A90 and see what it's all about.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #513 of 1,050
Mar 10, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #514 of 1,050
Its a chifi lobby if you ask me. If measurements they care about were the only spectrum responsible for musical enjoyment, everyone would be doing it. No tube amps would exist and tube mics would be thing of the past. Ridiculous cult imo.

I use L30 for testing stuff on my basement bench. Not bad for money. Got its own issues. Including QC.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #515 of 1,050
I asked Amir if he used the 0 dB settings or the +12 dB/+22 dB/+24 dB settings.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nitor-x-review-dac-headphone-amp.21114/page-6

Post #104

If measurement was done in boost mode i'm not surprised by this result. I think it should measure much better in 0 dB standard gain fed by a 2V SE input signal and using SE output.

If test was already done in 0dB i'd be surprised.
Apparently measurements of the Phonitor XE variant have been done recently with much better results.

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-spl-phonitor-xe-headphoneamp/

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #516 of 1,050
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #517 of 1,050
Its a chifi lobby if you ask me. If measurements they care about were the only spectrum responsible for musical enjoyment, everyone would be doing it. No tube amps would exist and tube mics would be thing of the past. Ridiculous cult imo.

I use L30 for testing stuff on my basement bench. Not bad for money. Got its own issues. Including QC.
Honestly i have no problems with measurements but i have a problem when a 100% sciencebased website calls an unbalanced amp with balanced outputs balanced and nobody in the whole comment section cares about it. Meanwhile Amir obviously didn't even take time to look at the manual and see there are different gains.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #518 of 1,050
I couldn't care less about measurements. If measurements were that important all those companies making headphone amps would go bankrupt except Topping.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #520 of 1,050
How much better is it?

It seems like he used XLR In & Outputs + high gain too. I'd really love to see a test in normal gain with SE inputs and outputs.
I couldn't tell if he used high gain or not but the XE headphone SINAD output of 111 is extremely good and matched what Amir had for the pre-amp output (Amir had around 100 for the headphone output SINAD of the X). The dynamic range measurement was over 132db which differed from Amir's measurement of 104db.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #521 of 1,050
I couldn't care less about measurements. If measurements were that important all those companies making headphone amps would go bankrupt except Topping.
If topping’s L30 wasn’t blowing headphones up, maybe. Again, music creators don’t count zeros, neither should we. What we hear is the ultimate test and out enjoyment is an ultimate testament to product credibility.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #522 of 1,050
I asked Amir if he used the 0 dB settings or the +12 dB/+22 dB/+24 dB settings.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nitor-x-review-dac-headphone-amp.21114/page-6

Post #104

If measurement was done in boost mode i'm not surprised by this result. I think it should measure much better in 0 dB standard gain fed by a 2V SE input signal and using SE output.

If test was already done in 0dB i'd be surprised.
Looks like he tested it with the +12 db boost - dip switch 2 turned on.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #524 of 1,050
That means the test is totally useless unless you plan to use it in boost mode. If you plan to use it in boost mode for harder to drive cans i can confirm the measurements and say you should rather look for another amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back