SPL Phonitor, new reference amp?
May 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #151 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should be able to pass comment on this in the next few days, fingers crossed
normal_smile .gif

have had the phonitor for just under a few weeks now, havent had quite the time to spend with it as i would like because i am in the process of moving house.

but nevertheless i have had some quality time here and there to way up my feelings toward it with the other amps i currently have.

baring in mind, that the only decent headphone i have at the moment is the AKG K1000. which IMO isnt an ideal testbed to compare an amp with TRS jack. whilst its 120 volt technology allows plenty of juice and headroom with normal phones, it doesnt drive the k1000s to anywhere near their potential

i currently have in my chain: benchmark dac1 pre (with hpa2 internal amp), firestone audio 'big joe' power amp, which is dedicated to driving my k1000s and of course the phonitor.

i would have liked by now to have gotten hold of my long standing order, the grado ps1000's to give me more variety and also normalcy in testing the amp. but as i say i am only able to compare all at this point with the akgs.

here in order of how well the akg k1000s sound is as following;

• firestone audio big joe
  • spl phonitor
  • dac1 pre's hpa2
yep, the cheapest box of the lot sounds a whole lot better and fuller with the k1000s and doesnt sound like its thinning out and struggling.

considering i bought the phonitor to be a swiss army knife of amps, i did think that it would at the very least drive the k1000's better than the little 'big joe' amp, which is dozens of times cheaper (just goes to show that price point doesnt indicate performance, at least not in all applications!)

but as a caveat to that, i would assume, that was i driving a more 'normal' headphone then it would shine with those and would then jump to the top of the performance table for driving normal headphones. this is where i lay my hope and am sure it will be so.

my dac1 pre's hpa2 amp, drives the k1000's via TRS with even less authority than the phonitor, this is even with the hpa2 internal gain maxed out.

again, this isnt an ideal test due to the strange beast that is the k1000, but nevertheless is reflective of their performance with these and may be of help/interest to anyone thinking of aquiring the k1000s and wondering what to use to power.

the phonitor's spatial/crossfeed options on the front panel are comprehensive for sure, albeit with very subtle results, so dont buy into this hoping for dramatically apparent sound alterations. although i did use the crossfeed and the center option to slightly take the harsh fatigue off of tracks for amore speaker-like experience.

if its just the pure power of the 120v rail technology you are after, then please consider SPL's other amp which uses the same technology but without all the switches and dials, the Auditor. And at half the price will suit you better if you arent into playing with toggle witches constantly.

Now, comparing the phonitor to the dac1 pre hpa2 is as follows;

the phonitors sound is more 3 dimensional, more layered and a fuller, more powerful sound. i always admired the much maligned HPA2 amp as a very clean and precise to the point sound signature, not bloated in anyway and always delivering a very pure and unafected sound. this remains the case IMO, and wont be appreciated by bassheads and thick soupy sound signature seekers

the phonitor takes the title over the hpa2, for the reasons above, it manages to be have all the core attributes of the hpa2, clean, detailed and pure, but packs around it a more fuller bodied sound without going over the top into a thick sluggish sound. it has more dimensionality to it, appears to have more ceiling space for attenuator travel and has a deep quality to its bass reproduction. its a very industrial and utilitarian amp in its design and its sound, it pretty much plays what you feed it with very little alteration on its way out.

basically, i am now in the situation where, i will have to keep the big joe power amp to run my k1000's.

and use the DAC1 now, solely as my dac, and pipe out to the phonitor for all 'normal' headphone work (just as soon as i get some normal headphones) - i have a few cheap dynamics left but as they are so affected and non neutral to begin with it seems pointless trying to work out what is changing or doing what to which headphone.

i will write a few more ramblings on the phonitors performance when i get my ps1000 and after that, the hd 800.

later.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #152 of 198
I think it would be better to start your own thread, when you ready of course, but thanks for sharing anyway. How much SPL cost? Its like EUR 1700 up here, I believe...

May 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #153 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it would be better to start your own thread, when you ready of course, but thanks for sharing anyway. How much SPL cost? Its like EUR 1700 up here, I believe...

yeah, usually would, but previous talk in this thread, i said i would report back and someone was waiting to hear, so put it here so they see it.

thomann.de @1299 euro free worldwide del
smile_phones.gif

May 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #154 of 198
Cool, so its lowered quite a bit, nice...or maybe I just mistaking about it...Hopefully PS1000 and HD800 will be released soon, so we can all enjoy the mega fiesta up here
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, usually would, but previous talk in this thread, i said i would report back and someone was waiting to hear, so put it here so they see it.

thomann.de @1299 euro free worldwide del
smile_phones.gif

May 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #156 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quaddy, how does your other phones match up with the SPL? Big improvement over DAC1? As for the K1000, tough one, SET valve power amp?

sleepyone, thats the point
tongue.gif
i havent got any other phones at this point (any worthy ones anyway...) - as i mentioned above.

but with k1000, the phonitor is a lot better than the dac1 driving those yes, way more headroom with the pot.

also, the big joe amp is fine for me and my k1000s - this has proved that, i am not interested at this time in aquiring any other amp for those, but never say never
evil_smiley.gif

as i say, the spl will be fine for the other phones coming my way, ps1k and hd800.

May 13, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #157 of 198
Measurements are up SPLs Website and they show what i already guessed in an earlier post here. It measures slightly better than the phonitor:

Auditor:

Frequency Response: ‹5 Hz to ›200 kHz (-3 dB)
Crosstalk: -84 dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,001 % (@ 1kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)

Phonitor:

Frequency Response: ‹10Hz to ›200kHz (-3dB)
Crosstalk: -67dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,005% (@ 1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)

Testing the K1000 is a waste of time as this only tells 1 thing, how well the k1000 works with an amp (it wasnt designed for). Common misconception about the k1000 around here is that it needs a "powerful" amp to sound "full". Sorry but that's BS. I've heard less powerful amps driving them worlds better than big irons. Its either a good match or not, but "power" isnt the deciding factor.

May 14, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #160 of 198
Phonitor was delivered today. Had to make xlr cables for my Sony XA-5400ES. Phonitor sounds better with AKG701 then Project SE2 I have used with audioquest Lapis Hyperlitz (silver) rca.Home made Mogami xlr is not getting best out of it, have to get better cables. Edition9 is coming next week, should work even better together.

May 14, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #162 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phonitors S/N ratio is lower then The Project Headbox SE2. With test cd I can hear little hiss at high volume, but my cables are not good quality.

It could also be noise from your sony. Disconnect the cables and try again. If it's gone, it came from your source.

May 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #163 of 198
Given the unique design of the K-1000 - - small speakers that can be adjusted to float free of the listener's ears, is it possible that it isn't an ideal choice to test the Phonitor's crossfeed circuits?

It would be interesting to see if there was any difference in the crossfeed effect with the K-1000's "earspeakers" extended to the max as compared to when they're right next to the ears.

May 15, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #164 of 198
I know it's been asked before, but I would love to hear from more owners:

Does the Phonitor crossfeed really get the sound out of your head and out in front of you? I mean, I know it should help with imaging and spacial effects, but does it produce a less closed-in feeling or just a less hard left, hard right feeling?

I actually had one on order, but the vendor had a problem and had to cancel it. Now I'm having second thoughts and want to get some more input before I pull the trigger for good.

May 15, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #165 of 198
Also, the sample files will crossfeed on and off posted earlier in this thread do not seem to be hosted at that link anymore. Does anyone have them that could make them available again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back