SPL Phonitor, new reference amp?
May 15, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #166 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Phonitor crossfeed really get the sound out of your head and out in front of you?

No, It's still just a crossfeed in it's principles.

Quote:

but does it produce a less closed-in feeling?

YES, that's what it does better than all other crossfeed implementations.

Try before buy.

May 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #167 of 198
Quote:

I know it's been asked before, but I would love to hear from more owners:

Does the Phonitor crossfeed really get the sound out of your head and out in front of you? I mean, I know it should help with imaging and spacial effects, but does it produce a less closed-in feeling or just a less hard left, hard right feeling?

I actually had one on order, but the vendor had a problem and had to cancel it. Now I'm having second thoughts and want to get some more input before I pull the trigger for good.

I have mine now for about 4 weeks and so far I am still impressed of the crossfeed/speaker angle function. The effect is indeed subtle but to me it matters a lot in terms of enjoying the music.
I listen a lot to smal jazz combos and what always bothered me was the reproduction of piano - making me feel like my head was stuck right in front of the piano (e.g. low keys on one side high keys on the other). The Phonitor actually takes both and pushes them angled in front of me - finally somehow piecing together the instrument.
It does not increase the size of the soundstage (and thus the out of head feeling), that still depends on the headphone, however the bigger the headphones inherent soundstage the larger the positive effect of the Phonitor - at least that's my 2 cent so far...
After 4 weeks I clearly would still not want to give away the Phonitors ability in favour of the cheaper Auditor (provided they sound very similar otherwise).

One good thing is that you should be able to very easily give it a try as probably almost every large professional audio shop should be able to order one and offer a half decent return policy.

May 23, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #168 of 198
As I posted before about humming noise from Phonitor. Just got new Edition9 and was concern about hum. I disconected interconect from Phonitor and hum was still there. Than tried Akg 701 and got less hum. 15 years old Optimus PRO60 and less hum. Volume all the way up, no cables, no signal during testing. I have Balanced power transformer and PS AUDIO DUET and dedicated AC line. Hum was there even straight out of wall outlet. My outlet measures 122-123 Volts. Phonitor is made for 600 Ohm headphones and Edition9 is 30 Ohm, AKG701 70 or 80 OHM and Optimus I don't know, but they are very efficient. Please can someone try it. Would like to know if my Phonitor is OK. Thank's. By the way Phonitor sounds best with Edition9 for rock and pop ( really bad and grainy for classical) and out of this world with AKG 701 for classical.

May 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #169 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I posted before about humming noise from Phonitor. Just got new Edition9 and was concern about hum. I disconected interconect from Phonitor and hum was still there. Than tried Akg 701 and got less hum. 15 years old Optimus PRO60 and less hum. Volume all the way up, no cables, no signal during testing. I have Balanced power transformer and PS AUDIO DUET and dedicated AC line. Hum was there even straight out of wall outlet. My outlet measures 122-123 Volts. Phonitor is made for 600 Ohm headphones and Edition9 is 30 Ohm, AKG701 70 or 80 OHM and Optimus I don't know, but they are very efficient. Please can someone try it. Would like to know if my Phonitor is OK. Thank's. By the way Phonitor sounds best with Edition9 for rock and pop ( really bad and grainy for classical) and out of this world with AKG 701 for classical.

I'm confused by the post...Is the hum through the headphones or the amp itself hums? I have never heard hum through phones or the amp itself. I've had mine about eight months now. Right know the Grado HP-2's are plugged in and sound marvelous. Other low impedance phones I own (the ed.9, JVC's or Audio Technicas) have never had problems. My Amp is whisper quiet!

May 23, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #170 of 198
Just a very basic question about SPL Phonitor. Do you need to feed the Phonitor directly from a DAC through XLR or will it work properly from a RCA out of an "standard" Cd player with an unbalanced RCA>XLR cable? I would like to know if I can hook it directly to my new SACD player. The reason for asking is that professional XLR equipment normally work at +4dBu and "home equipment" only send the signal at -10dBV.
Thanks in advance for the answer.

May 23, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #171 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_BVB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a very basic question about SPL Phonitor. Do you need to feed the Phonitor directly from a DAC through XLR or will it work properly from a RCA out of an "standard" Cd player with an unbalanced RCA>XLR cable? I would like to know if I can hook it directly to my new SACD player. The reason for asking is that professional XLR equipment normally work at +4dBu and "home equipment" only send the signal at -10dBV.
Thanks in advance for the answer.

you can use unbalanced cable as you suggest, XLR to RCA or alike, i am going in via a dac, but coming out to a power amp via XLR to RCA

shouldnt be a problem feeding your cd in direct AFAIK as there is plenty of variance and headroom/scope on the dial for low and high inputs, especially with the DIM -20db switch

May 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #172 of 198
Yes, the Phonitor accepts single end input via a RCA - XLR patch cable.

Here is what SPL said in the manual :

Phonitor%20XLR%20pin%20config.jpg

I would assume the same applies also to the Auditor.

Hope this helps.

F. Lo

May 23, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #173 of 198
Thanks for your kind answer Quaddy.
I think the Phonitor is my next buy (I'm using GS Solo at the moment in my Hi-FI and Beresford TC-7520 on the computer and, even when I am very pleased, I want to have the "crossfed experience".
:)

May 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #174 of 198
Quote:

Have you tried the ground lift switch in the back of the Phonitor? Normally humming noises are due to two factors: either the equipment is not properly insulated (grounded) or there are interferences in the power supply (not a problem in your case). The only other explanation I can think of is your unit been defective.
Yours

May 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #175 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_BVB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the ground lift switch in the back of the Phonitor? Normally humming noises are due to two factors: either the equipment is not properly insulated (grounded) or there are interferences in the power supply (not a problem in your case). The only other explanation I can think of is your unit been defective.
Yours

+1. No noise/hum on my phonitor whatsoever. However i didnt have any headphones with 30 Ohm lying around, just an ATH-A2000x (42 Ohm) and an ESW10jpn (45 Ohm).

May 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #176 of 198
I was thinking about that hum from the Phonitor and Editon 9 and it is probable the circuit board in Edition 9 that is causing the hum. Switching the ground lift button on made the hum much louder with Edition 9. With AKG 701 and volume on the Phonitor all the way up there is no hum, with ground lift on I can hear little hum but less then with Edition 9 and no ground lift. It is definitely Edition 9 and Phonitor synergy problem. My other headamp Project Headbox SE2 is totaly dead quiet with all my headphones. I opened the Project Headbox and is just integrated circuit with 1/8 inch thick metal case that make it feel more solid. It is a great little amp with excellent SQ little on the bright side. Phonitor is all analog and really good, solid SQ. It is probably excellent with Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics. I will wait for 09 CanJam reviews of HD 800 and then I mayby get them. Note: All testing done with cd player in pause or cable disconected from Phonitor and volume all the way up.

May 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #177 of 198
Guitar center have cheap chinese rca to xlr adapters, I did take it apart and it is conected as the diagram from Phonitor manual in the post above. Cardas and BAT makes good ones ( musicdirect.com ).

May 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #178 of 198
Question please for achristilaw. How does your Edition 9 and Dt 990 600OHM compare? I searched the Head-Fi and no results. Does Dt 990 have more bass or deeper bass. I think DT 990 600OHM might be excellent with Phonitor, with deep bass and high treble they could be good for low volume listening.

May 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #179 of 198
Quote:

I was thinking about that hum from the Phonitor and Editon 9 and it is probable the circuit board in Edition 9 that is causing the hum. Switching the ground lift button on made the hum much louder with Edition 9.

I have just tried my Edition 9 with my Phonitor and there is no hum or hiss. The background is totally black.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back