Spirit Torino Valkyria
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #961 of 1,000
Very early impressions:
Subbass problem of the Pulsar is completely fixed.
Even better dynamics and more bass than the Pulsar, it seems like a bit of sacrifice in the initial perceived clarity was made.
Voices are softer, less aggressive, more laid-back than on the Pulsar which comes across more aggressive.
So: A noticable and big step up from the Pulsar in my opinion.

I will check out this headphone in more detail over the next days and then post a bigger review with comparisons.
I really really like it and i'm super happy that i got this rarity on the used market so quickly.

I don't want to send it in in the very near future, maybe i can deal with the cable, i got a nice Spirit Torino headphone stand with it, and can use that to curl it up a bit.
Oh, the cable is also stiffer than the Pulsar cable, which is way softer.

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #962 of 1,000
This headphone is in my head. I need to audition it one day. Hmmm. I am not sure I would like to part with my 1266, but I could not and would not want to afford both. The V would have to wow me int the first three minutes. We will see 😊
It took me a couple weeks to truly appreciate all the Valkyria has to offer. Since then, I've been reaching for it much more frequently than I've been reaching for the 1266. I wouldn't necessarily say it's better (or worse), but I've definitely been reaching for it more.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #963 of 1,000
These are made for piano, yesterday I was at a concert (first row), and as I went back home I wanted an extra dose of Gaspard de la Nuit. Well, it was almost a seamless experience what I got from the Valkyria ... truly amazing.

20240321_195457-01.jpeg

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #964 of 1,000
Very early impressions:
Subbass problem of the Pulsar is completely fixed.
Even better dynamics and more bass than the Pulsar, it seems like a bit of sacrifice in the initial perceived clarity was made.
Voices are softer, less aggressive, more laid-back than on the Pulsar which comes across more aggressive.
So: A noticable and big step up from the Pulsar in my opinion.

I will check out this headphone in more detail over the next days and then post a bigger review with comparisons.
I really really like it and i'm super happy that i got this rarity on the used market so quickly.

I don't want to send it in in the very near future, maybe i can deal with the cable, i got a nice Spirit Torino headphone stand with it, and can use that to curl it up a bit.
Oh, the cable is also stiffer than the Pulsar cable, which is way softer.
Sorry to ask, but I am confused: which headphone do you compare here to the Pulsar ? Is it the valkaria ?

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #965 of 1,000
Sorry to ask, but I am confused: which headphone do you compare here to the Pulsar ? Is it the valkaria ?
No, to the Valkyria. What's a valkaria? :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #966 of 1,000
These are made for piano, yesterday I was at a concert (first row), and as I went back home I wanted an extra dose of Gaspard de la Nuit. Well, it was almost a seamless experience what I got from the Valkyria ... truly amazing.

20240321_195457-01.jpeg
I am completely not up to date in the headphone world is my impression :). I realize from your singnature that with the Immanis there is a new kid on the block. Have you written about the differences between the V and the Immanis and could me point towards it? Thank you.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #967 of 1,000
I am completely not up to date in the headphone world is my impression :). I realize from your singnature that with the Immanis there is a new kid on the block. Have you written about the differences between the V and the Immanis and could me point towards it? Thank you.

Only a rather cryptic en passant hint here (and in some side notes on subsequent posts on the same thread), for now.

I confirm Immanis and Valkyria define a very different take on music listening. They strike - in me - totally different aural and emotional strings, where the Valkyria is more visceral and dense, and the Immanis is more intellectual and open. Both are immensely rewarding due to their own merits.

Therefore, at a high level, there is a large chunk of music where I enjoy both, and some situations where I clearly prefer one vs. the other (e.g. Valkyria with piano and Immanis with electronica).

I will go in more detail about this sometime in the future :)

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #968 of 1,000
Great thanks.
When you say you like Immamis for electronica, how does it compare to 1266?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #969 of 1,000
Great thanks.
When you say you like Immamis for electronica, how does it compare to 1266?

After some EQ, the Immanis is the only headphone I have experienced that can compete and even surpass - on certain aspects - the 1266 for electronica.

The 1266 sub-bass has more slam and subwoofer-like air motion interaction with your skull, but Immanis goes similarly deep and, EQ'ed, provide subsonic rumble as well, while maintaining a sense of speed and resolution within the sub-bass octave which is simply unmatched in my experience.

Placement of objects in 3D space is even more scuplted with the RAAL, thanks to a transparency and feeling of music being projected in a free, open space which is second only to the SR1 in terms of out-of-the-head effect. Soundstage size is similar to the Abyss (i.e. huge) whereas the presentation of sounds centered in the upper bass / lower midrange region are slightly more forward (which I like).

Lightning fast transients make synthetic sounds occurring in the midrange, and even more apparently in the treble region, just startling, eerily popping out of nowhere in an exhilarating fashion. It is a technical wonder to behold, just as the 1266 is in its own way.

Now, back on topic, I need to prepare for next week's concert imbued into one of the pinnacle achievements of our species ... with the help of the Valkyria. And, what a glorious ride it is going to be :wink:

1711132812914.png

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #970 of 1,000
Today is a sad day for piano lovers, as Maurizio Pollini, one of the most remarkable musical figures of the last half century, passed away at age 82.

He started as a Chopin virtuoso, and later on applied his talents on a wide repertoire, including contemporary.

We are lucky he left a substantial heritage on recordings, and I am deeply attached to his late Beethoven sonatas, especially the mighty Hammerklavier.

1711213351068.png

R.I.P. maestro and thank you :sweat:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #971 of 1,000
Today is a sad day for piano lovers, as Maurizio Pollini, one of the most remarkable musical figures of the last half century, passed away at age 82.

He started as a Chopin virtuoso, and later on applied his talents on a wide repertoire, including contemporary.

We are lucky he left a substantial heritage on recordings, and I am deeply attached to his late Beethoven sonatas, especially the mighty Hammerklavier.

1711213351068.png

Sad day indeed :pensive:. One of the greatest. RIP.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #972 of 1,000
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #973 of 1,000

1711213351068.png

Yes, a very sad day.

Attachments

• Beethoven.jpg
    Beethoven.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Etudes.jpg
    Etudes.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SchubertSchumann.jpg
    SchubertSchumann.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #975 of 1,000
We must not forget about another great Italian pianist, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli.
Most famous for his Debussy, Schumann, Ravel, Rachmaninov, he also left excellent recordings of Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin...

Michelangeli.jpg

Michelangeli2.jpg

Michelangeli3.jpg

And now Italian Spirit Torino, with their VALKYRIA TITANIUM headphones, to fully enjoy the music recorded by Pollini, Michelangeli and other legendary masters of the piano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back