RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #436 of 1,832
No, Stellaris has no pre-amp feature, though I don't know whether Donald would/could add that as an option as I did not ask when I purchased. I know he can add speaker outs, so it stands to reason you could have line out added. Anyway, the way I see my setup now, I have a really solid TOTL tube route OR a really solid TOTL solid state route. I wouldn't personally have any use case for a "middle of the road" tube pre into solid state route, though I can certainly understand why someone else might. Fwiw, I found Schiit Valhalla to be a really excellent tube pre.
One man's "middle of the road" is another man's "best of both worlds"... :relaxed:

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #438 of 1,832
Yes, the new ones, particularly the Immanis have a much fuller sound and the bass is more extended. If you search this thread for posts written by simorag you’ll get the best reports so far about the Immanis because he took ownership last weekend. The only caveat is that his time with the CA-1a was with the VM-1a and it‘s clear that this combination has a fuller-bodied sound than we get with the CA-1a and HSA-1b combination. This means some of his references are based on his time with the VM-1a and not the HSA.
the hsa-1b is actual a really nice amp that does a good job with planars as well...good amp to own

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #439 of 1,832
I feel like I have to chip in and share some short and general impressions of the headphones since I had the pleasure to try them out at the Heidelberg Headphone Show. First of all, the Immanis and Magna are superbly made, and the fit and feel are great. I had no issues at all with the clamping of the pads/headband or with having glasses on which is great. Material choice is excellent. Nailed it in terms of comfort and usability. The interface-stand is solid and heavy and follows the same design language as the headphones with the wooden elements and black color scheme.
2024-03-04-235225_003.jpeg

Now to the sound, I did try both headphones on the HSA-1C and on the Feliks Envy. I can't remember which cable I had on which headphone but there was one that was better sounding than the other, according to Aleks. Therefore, read my impressions as having the less good-sounding one. With that in mind and the usual show conditions caveat, people talking loud, the playlist, etc...
2024-03-04-235225_002.jpeg

In general, I like both headphones but If you would choose one it would be the Magna, and with the Envy. Somehow the amp really paired well (with both headphones) and turned on the emotive characteristics of the headphone. I could just crank up the volume and there would be an even increase across the frequency range. The Immanis while having a clearer presentation by a few percent, had a small bump in the upper treble region that was a bit sharp to my ears (at times). Both headphones exhibit a buttery smooth presentation. The bass region is well-defined. It is hitting just as I like it. The closest comparison to the bass texture would be a really good e-stat headphone. The midrange was excellent as well but I felt like a lot of ambient noise from people around me disturbed my assessment.
The image on both headphones felt very spacious and airy, an excellent presentation. Once again it reminds me of traits that electrostatic headphones have.

2024-03-04-235225_004.jpeg

The HSA-1C, while great with both headphones, didn't present the same "wow" and refinement as the Envy. Bear in mind, the size and the type of amps. I feel like tube amps and solid-state should not be compared head to head as they vastly differ in design, usability, price, and maintenance. The HSA-1C was also fed by a source with a cheap toy-looking 3.5mm adapter splitter which I felt could (read: most likely) impact the SQ.

My final verdict is that both headphones are solid contenders for that top 5 spot. If you are out looking for creme de la creme in terms of SQ. These headphones should be high up on your list. I have to confess, I was a little skeptical beforehand thinking they would just sound "great", but these were GREAT! Well done @Aleksandar R. and the rest of the RAAL team!

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #440 of 1,832
No, Stellaris has no pre-amp feature….
While no official feature, one can use male to male XLR cables to output the 8 ohm from the front and input it into another amp.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #441 of 1,832
I feel like I have to chip in and share some short and general impressions of the headphones since I had the pleasure to try them out at the Heidelberg Headphone Show. First of all, the Immanis and Magna are superbly made, and the fit and feel are great. I had no issues at all with the clamping of the pads/headband or with having glasses on which is great. Material choice is excellent. Nailed it in terms of comfort and usability. The interface-stand is solid and heavy and follows the same design language as the headphones with the wooden elements and black color scheme.

Now to the sound, I did try both headphones on the HSA-1C and on the Feliks Envy. I can't remember which cable I had on which headphone but there was one that was better sounding than the other, according to Aleks. Therefore, read my impressions as having the less good-sounding one. With that in mind and the usual show conditions caveat, people talking loud, the playlist, etc...

In general, I like both headphones but If you would choose one it would be the Magna, and with the Envy. Somehow the amp really paired well (with both headphones) and turned on the emotive characteristics of the headphone. I could just crank up the volume and there would be an even increase across the frequency range. The Immanis while having a clearer presentation by a few percent, had a small bump in the upper treble region that was a bit sharp to my ears (at times). Both headphones exhibit a buttery smooth presentation. The bass region is well-defined. It is hitting just as I like it. The closest comparison to the bass texture would be a really good e-stat headphone. The midrange was excellent as well but I felt like a lot of ambient noise from people around me disturbed my assessment.
The image on both headphones felt very spacious and airy, an excellent presentation. Once again it reminds me of traits that electrostatic headphones have.

The HSA-1C, while great with both headphones, didn't present the same "wow" and refinement as the Envy. Bear in mind, the size and the type of amps. I feel like tube amps and solid-state should not be compared head to head as they vastly differ in design, usability, price, and maintenance. The HSA-1C was also fed by a source with a cheap toy-looking 3.5mm adapter splitter which I felt could (read: most likely) impact the SQ.

My final verdict is that both headphones are solid contenders for that top 5 spot. If you are out looking for creme de la creme in terms of SQ. These headphones should be high up on your list. I have to confess, I was a little skeptical beforehand thinking they would just sound "great", but these were GREAT! Well done @Aleksandar R. and the rest of the RAAL team!
good to hear the envy was your favorite with the new HP's...initially there were reports that the envy would not drive raal HP's but it now does appear that was incorrect...my envy does a great job with my CA-1a and SR-1a....although the VM-1a is still the first choice

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #442 of 1,832

Great impressions from someone who knows a thing or two about amps! ( @Dukei made my CFA3!). Thanks for the intel. . .

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #443 of 1,832
It's crazy there's already so many of you on the waitlist to buy and only like three people have heard it, you guys are animals! I'll personally be waiting until at least I can demo at CanJam, ideally a home demo, I'm falling so far behind!

@simorag I would love to hear more about your impressions of the Immanis vs the X9000. The X9000 is perhaps my favorite headphone.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #444 of 1,832

@Dukei, too bad we haven't been speaking, I'd love to talk amps with you!
I hope we meet again!

Thank you very much for the compliments!

Yeah, it was a rush to finish thing for the show so we've had the same cable adapters on both players/amps, so not just on HSA.

The players were A&K SP3000 and SE300.
I was trying to keep the smoother sounding SE300 on HSA, and SP3000 on Envy, to reduce the contrast between the sound of SET and Solid State.
When going over the Interface, headphone cables were the standard Satis cable on Magna and STAR-8 on Immanis. When going direct from HSA, without the Interface, the cable was SAEQ's founder personal cable.

Anyhow, it would help me for future presentations if you could remember on which amp/player you felt a small bump in treble region?

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #445 of 1,832
@Aleksandar R.
Hi Alex, this has most probably already been written somewhere in this thread... but I'll ask regardless since I'm lazy.

I'd still be able to use my TI-1B-> SC2 setup with the Immanis/Magna? Also noticed you mentioned the Satis cable?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #446 of 1,832
It's crazy there's already so many of you on the waitlist to buy and only like three people have heard it, you guys are animals! I'll personally be waiting until at least I can demo at CanJam, ideally a home demo, I'm falling so far behind!

@simorag I would love to hear more about your impressions of the Immanis vs the X9000. The X9000 is perhaps my favorite headphone.

I am liking the X9000 very much, they are providing something like a scaled-down version of the experience I had with the HE 1, in that everything I play with them sounds smooth, beautiful, organic. They share with the HE 1 a bass presentation which is a bit on the loose side, which adds oomph and warmth to the general presentation, but lack ultimate speed and resolution.

The Immanis is cooler, has a significantly bigger (both width and depth) soundstage, way better impact and snappier transient response. Bass reach is similar, but resolution and nuances on the sub-bass are more articulated. Instrument separation is another area where Immanis is the superior headphone.

Vocals, especially female, are more seductive with the X9000, and they also benefit (subjectively) by a slightly more forward presentation. Midrange body and texture are a very strong suit of the X9000.

The sense of drive, propulsion, rhythm has a bit too much poise for my tastes, whereas the Immanis really excels in delivering pulse energy to the music. Quick jazz, electronica are a rollercoaster with the Immanis, while the X9000 relaxed pace does not convey the same toe-tapping, exhilarating feel.

Overall, the X9000 (also due to their unsurpassed comfort) are more suitable for very long listening sessions of generally calm, emotionally charged music, especially acoustic and vocals.

Note that all this is with the SRM-T700S amp, I am aware that there are much better alternatives which may change the X9000 presentation significantly, but I have no chance of trying a T2 here unfortunately ...

All of the comparisons are valid but I specifically asked simorag about the Valkyria because it’s there in the photograph and as far as I know it’s the only other phone he now has in his possession. All other comparisons will be based on recent or distant memories and will be less accurate.

The Immanis has various objective advantages over the Valkyria, like sub-bass extension, a much cleaner bass, wider soundstage, transparency to name a few.

However, as usual with the Valkyria, I feel that analytical comparisons fail to deliver, so I will resort to a (perhaps even less useful) figurative approach. Also, the following is related to the music I like and listen more, i.e. classical, jazz, acoustic in general.

Listening through the Valkyria is like an embrace with my mother, I don't need to think, I am not checking if her body is fit, don't care if her hair are a little scruffy: I just close my eyes and the emotion comes naturally, unfiltered, embedded by affection. I feel home, secure, and given her age, somewhat concerned and moved about her frailties.

With the Immanis - at least at this early stage - is more like the first date with a potential new girlfiend. Everything is electrifying, you are excited by the will of making a good impression and - at the same time - by the risk of doing or saying something stupid (and, yes, it will happen), there is a sense of continuous discovery that keeps you going (although not everyting goes as you expected).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #447 of 1,832
I hope we meet again!

Yeah, it was a rush to finish thing for the show so we've had the same cable adapters on both players/amps, so not just on HSA.

I was trying to keep the smoother sounding SE300 on HSA, and SP3000 on Envy, to reduce the contrast between the sound of SET and Solid State.
When going over the Interface, headphone cables were the standard Satis cable on Magna and STAR-8 on Immanis. When going direct from HSA, without the Interface, the cable was SAEQ's founder personal cable.

Anyhow, it would help me for future presentations if you could remember on which amp/player you felt a small bump in treble region?
Hi Alex, I can add something to this that I did not mention in my first feedback. I brought my own SP3000 with me to the show and all my listening was done using the HSA-1c. I stayed with the 1c because I have the 1b at home and that will be the amp I first use when I get my Immanis. Thomas usually has the Envy at the headphone.shop and so I can hear this anytime I make an appointment, which I plan to do when my Immanis arrives. During my time listening to the phones on Saturday I also experienced this “small bump in the treble region” three times. I can therefore tell you with 100% certainty that it was on the HSA-1c. I cannot tell you with 100% certainty with which headphone I experienced this. I’m 90% sure it was with Immanis but I didn’t write any notes etc., but can offer a fairly confident ‘probably’ that it was Immanis. I didn’t say anything previously because I’d mentally attributed this to the volume at which I was listening. At home with the CA-1a my comfortable listening level is at 7 clicks on the volume; I’ve said it before but it‘s known that the Holo May is rather ‘hot’ and has no capacity for volume attenuation so that’s my comfortable listening level. Based on your statements earlier in thread I’m expecting to be listening at just 4 or 5 clicks when I get the Immanis (hence our discussions about XLR v RCA and passive volume attenuators). At the show on Saturday I had to set the volume on the 1c to 11 or 12 clicks to try to minimise the ‘constant invasion of noise’ from the show. I was listening at a louder volume than I would at home but of course this is not a direct comparison because home is the Holo May and I was using my SP3000 at the show. Who knows what impact the “50 cent” 3.5mm to RCA adaptor had on the sound? I may have some insight into this after Wednesday as I’ve ordered 3 different ones from Amazon, 2 unknown brand Chinese and 1 somewhat more expensive Audioquest.
I experienced similar reaction when I first had the SR and CA at home Sept 2022. I started out with my then DAP, the SP2000, but was not happy and so got the RME DAC from Amazon. The overall sound was much better but did occasionally go too hot for me in the treble region. Last May the Holo May arrived and made a big difference to the overall more-lifelike sound quality and somewhere in there came the convolution filters from Mitch. The nett result being none of these ‘hot’ experiences with my system at home.
Standard problem solving technique is not only to ask when did the problem happen but also to ask when did that same problem not happen. For me, the amplifier, the cables, the SP3000, the 3.5mm to RCA adaptor, the music playlist, remained constant throughout my listening session. The only significant change was that some of my listening was on the Immanis and some, but not so much time, was on the Magna. I’m not 100% sure but it’s probable that this ‘small bump in the treble region’ was only experienced on the Immanis.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #448 of 1,832
In general, I like both headphones but If you would choose one it would be the Magna, and with the Envy. Somehow the amp really paired well (with both headphones) and turned on the emotive characteristics of the headphone. I could just crank up the volume and there would be an even increase across the frequency range. The Immanis while having a clearer presentation by a few percent, had a small bump in the upper treble region that was a bit sharp to my ears (at times).
Could be a different cable.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #449 of 1,832
I hope we meet again!

Further to my first response I’d also like to add that I have a similar experience with the ZMF Caldera. The Caldera has been a big hit for ZMF and most people enjoy it in its ’standard’ form but there are some who have a negative reaction to something in the high frequencies, and yes I am one of them. To help with this Zach introduced the Mantle Mesh to ‘mask’ some of the high frequency content, and also the Caldera Thick Pad which some users say they prefer and that it does solve the high frequency ‘problem’. So, I know I have this sensitivity to high frequencies that most of you do not have, but Danny has also told us he’ll be sending the new phones to Mitch as soon as the first wave of orders is cleared and many of us do know what impact the convolution filters have. We also know that some of the VM-1a users prefer the SR and CA without the filters i.e. with a nice warm, big sounding tube amp there is little or no need for EQ or other ‘corrections’ our ears and brains might need.
I’ll definitely be investigating the Bypass Cap Mod that can be done to the HSA-1b. Alex has recommended this and Danny published a video of how to do it. This may or may not push the HSA to better synergy with the Immanis but I guess I’ll find out.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #450 of 1,832
Further to my first response I’d also like to add that I have a similar experience with the ZMF Caldera. The Caldera has been a big hit for ZMF and most people enjoy it in its ’standard’ form but there are some who have a negative reaction to something in the high frequencies, and yes I am one of them. To help with this Zach introduced the Mantle Mesh to ‘mask’ some of the high frequency content, and also the Caldera Thick Pad which some users say they prefer and that it does solve the high frequency ‘problem’. So, I know I have this sensitivity to high frequencies that most of you do not have, but Danny has also told us he’ll be sending the new phones to Mitch as soon as the first wave of orders is cleared and many of us do know what impact the convolution filters have. We also know that some of the VM-1a users prefer the SR and CA without the filters i.e. with a nice warm, big sounding tube amp there is little or no need for EQ or other ‘corrections’ our ears and brains might need.
I’ll definitely be investigating the Bypass Cap Mod that can be done to the HSA-1b. Alex has recommended this and Danny published a video of how to do it. This may or may not push the HSA to better synergy with the Immanis but I guess I’ll find out.
A warm DAC helped me with the SR1a and CA-1a in some setups (such as the Musetec 005 DAC). With the VM-1a I like the hot Benchmark DAC3B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back