RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
May 14, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #1,831 of 1,979
At their time I was a fan of Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, Hendrix, Doors, Santana, Cream, BTO, BOC, CCR, Al Di Meola, Keith Jarrett and the whole ECM bunch, lots of Classical music, …
When I was a young kid and the Beatles were huge, I was put off by the insane hype.
Years later, when I actually listened to the White Album, I realized that the hype was real and the Beatles were in a league of their own both musically and lyrically.

I am happy to see that you have listed many other wonderful artists of the era.
I have lost track of who has an Immanis at this point?
If you do, I'm glad to see an the nice assortment of genres that sound great with these Raal hp.

May 14, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #1,832 of 1,979
That’s a great list but I think you’ll find The Beatles preceded all of them by quite a few years and without The Beatles the world of modern music would have been very different. Except of course for the lots of Classical music bit which preceded The Beatles by a couple of years.
Probably I‘m just a few years too young …

However, I know almost everything about Beatles history, where they came from and how they made their way into becoming popular.
There was music before the Beatles and what they did didn’t come out of the blue.

I even worked with Tony Sheridan for some years, recorded the last unreleased Paul McCartney / Tony Sheridan composition “Tell Me If You Can” in Abbey Road Studio 2.
http://www.tony-sheridan.info/Tell me if you can.pdf
In fact the song was recorded 3 times before, but due to copyright problems those versions were not released in the public then.

Had long talks with Tony about his time with the Beatles in Hamburg - Beatles were “his” backing band at Star-Club Hamburg and other occasions.

Google “Chantal - Tony Sheridan” and you will find a collection of IMO nice recordings, created by people who are very into Beatles, with interesting arrangements that shine a new light on their compositions.

Listen on Raal headphones 🤣

“Chantal - Beatles Strictly Instrumental” I’d reccomend for a very different twist on Beatles:
https://chantal-shop.de/epages/ccb3...b88f-43fb-b17f-8494c3fd3815/Products/31RaJ3Br

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,833 of 1,979
@Aleksandar R. I just wanted to say congratulations on the monumental achievement that is/are the RAAL 1995 Immanis headphones. I suspect the lucky few that currently own them are afraid to publicly state what you probably already know. I'll just leave it there:)

You've accomplished something truly remarkable here and I both congratulate and thank you. I only hope they bring you and your partners commensurate financial success.

May 15, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #1,834 of 1,979
@Aleksandar R. I just wanted to say congratulations on the monumental achievement that is/are the RAAL 1995 Immanis headphones. I suspect the lucky few that currently own them are afraid to publicly state what you probably already know. I'll just leave it there:)

You've accomplished something truly remarkable here and I both congratulate and thank you. I only hope they bring you and your partners commensurate financial success.

So have you got yours already? I lost track who got theirs already and who didn't, the only person I know who actually has it is Simorags

May 15, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #1,835 of 1,979
Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #1,836 of 1,979
Yes, I've had mine for a little over a week now. A couple of others here in North America have received them as well. In addition to @simorag, @Hiker816 posted some excellent impressions as well: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-1995-immanis.971583/post-18115563
Yes I've seen that, the post you linked though didn't quite have impressions on it other than a few problems with sibilance or boom/bloominess
With your previous post (before the one I'm replying to right now), care to elaborate, or is that upcoming? :D I still have 6 more days until I get to hear them.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #1,838 of 1,979
Yes I've seen that, the post you linked though didn't quite have impressions on it other than a few problems with sibilance or boom/bloominess
With your previous post (before the one I'm replying to right now), care to elaborate, or is that upcoming? :D I still have 6 more days until I get to hear them.

I would rather not elaborate and just leave it there, unless there are any specific questions you have. You'll find out in 6 days:).

May 15, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,839 of 1,979
I would rather not elaborate and just leave it there, unless there are any specific questions you have. You'll find out in 6 days:).
I'll be hearing it from a very high-end setup, including Aries Cerat Ithaka... and if you haven't noticed I've already ordered my Immanis pair a while ago.
So I don't know what they sound like or how they will sound from my system, but from the different impressions I've got sort of an idea for sure and I'm liking it.

You know, reading reviews on gear that you're getting while waiting is therapeutical :)

I'll be bringing my Caldera to that Open Day thing here at the dealer @byrdparis so I could at least figure out both differences of headphones and system, and btw, I went for Caldera instead of Susvara for several reasons, I felt like it was at least close enough to Susvara, as well as some reviewers claiming that and I did have a chance to hear Susvara and still not regretting my choice. Also driver fails is not a myth on Susvara.

May 15, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,840 of 1,979
Just to clarify, I was only noticing some issues driving the Immanis with the Zahl through the interface. No issues off the VM1a, or direct off the HSA-1b. So it's the Zahl, not the Immanis. And, after more experimentation, the issue with the Zahl is limited to distortion-heavy tracks (e.g., certain metal tracks) and only in the mid-bass to lower-mids range. It seems to enhance the distortion & boom that's already captured in the recording, making dissonance sound more dissonant. "Clean" music is no issue at all.

Speaking of the HSA-1b, I was REALLY surprised how well it direct drives the Immanis. It's really really good.

More to follow on both topics.

May 15, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #1,841 of 1,979
I'll be hearing it from a very high-end setup, including Aries Cerat Ithaka... and if you haven't noticed I've already ordered my Immanis pair a while ago.
So I don't know what they sound like or how they will sound from my system, but from the different impressions I've got sort of an idea for sure and I'm liking it.
One of the amazing things about the Immanis is they will reward you in this type of setup. Can't wait to read your impressions!

You know, reading reviews on gear that you're getting while waiting is therapeutical :)
I totally get it. I would highly recommend flushing other's opinions and going into your audition with tempered expectations. Spend at least 30 min listening to let your ears adjust, then let the Immanis show you exactly who and what they are. The only problem I see is that you'll be trying them with the dealer and not your own gear. My audition vs trying them on my system resulted in vastly different experiences.

I'll be bringing my Caldera to that Open Day thing here at the dealer @byrdparis so I could at least figure out both differences of headphones and system, and btw, I went for Caldera instead of Susvara for several reasons, I felt like it was at least close enough to Susvara, as well as some reviewers claiming that and I did have a chance to hear Susvara and still not regretting my choice. Also driver fails is not a myth on Susvara.
Susvaras are fantastic, but only when amped correctly. Much less so when not. I owned a pair for just shy of two years and know them well. I would echo @MokhaMark 's words on the topic as I think he said it best: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-1995-headphones-magna-and-immanis.971610/post-18119695

"I would be shocked if any fan of Susvara (like me) will be disappointed in the Immanis."

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #1,842 of 1,979
I went for Caldera instead of Susvara for several reasons, I felt like it was at least close enough to Susvara, as well as some reviewers claiming that and I did have a chance to hear Susvara and still not regretting my choice.
Caldera is an amazing headphone, but it really isn't much like Susvara at all. They are very different headphones, not really comparable in any way other than that they are both planar magnetic and expensive.

May 16, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #1,843 of 1,979
"I would be shocked if any fan of Susvara (like me) will be disappointed in the Immanis."
GoldenSound wasn't a big fan of Immanis (Though he did say they are good, just not for the price) and he's a fan of Susvara's. Vitaliy from Flux Lab Acoustics also didn't seem to be super hyped (Said they are interesting headphones but that's about it) about it, and he likes X9000 better than Susvara

One of the amazing things about the Immanis is they will reward you in this type of setup. Can't wait to read your impressions!
Will definitely write a few words about it, I'll be there for a whole day 10am to 8pm, maybe a bit less most likely, but definitely for more than half an hour :p

Caldera is an amazing headphone, but it really isn't much like Susvara at all. They are very different headphones, not really comparable in any way other than that they are both planar magnetic and expensive.
My experience with Susvara is from an inferior setup, though a tube amp, I think Cayin HA3 with iFi DAC, I didn't feel that it was lacking, from the same setup both headphones side by side (Caldera) were different in presentation but similar in performance, maybe Susvara was a bit ahead, it had a bit of a more articulate/ethereal sound, while Caldera was cleaner and more natural. From my current setup it's obviously better than Susvara on that other setup with really great stage and imaging (On better recordings) and great texture and bass that feels like it is actually produced by the instruments playing instead of the tube bloom that was from that other setup.

May 16, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #1,844 of 1,979
I am a big fan of Susvara and knew these were the hp for me from the first track I listened to. I liked my ZMF VO but they were up for sale the next day. I found the detail and clarity of the Sus to be way better than the VO. Bought new 2.5 years ago and I have had 0 issues. I do store them in a Pelican case and hope to keep them once I get the Immanis.

I understand Golden Sound is not a Sus fan but loves the Tungsten DS. I have the DS and they are good, particularly at their cost, but not up to the Sus level IMO. I may not have GS ears or following, but I know what I prefer.
When I get the Immanis I will see what may go up for sale......... DS, LCD-5 (getting almost 0 time right now) or my beloved Sus!

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #1,845 of 1,979
I understand Golden Sound is not a Sus fan but loves the Tungsten DS. I have the DS and they are good, particularly at their cost, but not up to the Sus level IMO. I may not have GS ears or following, but I know what I prefer.
When I get the Immanis I will see what may go up for sale......... DS, LCD-5 (getting almost 0 time right now) or my beloved Sus!
While I sometimes hear things the way GS does, I've also reached very different conclusions on some gear. He panned the Valkyria if I remember correctly. But that HP kicks-a$$ to my ears. Having owned the Immanis for about a week, I struggle to avoid concluding that anyone who isn't blown away is just crazy. Like anyone who doesn't like pineapple on pizza is crazy. But that's my problem. I just need to learn to accept that some people have terrible taste different but perfectly valid opinions. :ksc75smile: (Tongue planted firmly in cheek on this--before anyone gets offended. Except Immanis is amazing--serious about that part)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back