SpinFit Eartips Thread - The cheapest audio upgrade
Aug 18, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #376 of 1,133
  I now have Spinfits from both Jaben and the Japanese version which arrived today. A physical test where I squeezed both and rolled them around my fingertips showed that the Japanese version have a much softer and more slippery silicone.

I attached the Japanese version to my Flares. I knew I had problems before I even played any music. The right ear did not feel as if it had sealed properly and playing music proved this. I fiddled around and finally found a balanced posotion but the bass was sadly lacking along with soundstage, clarity etc.

So I then attached them to my IE80s with a similar result. Playing the Asahinho version of Summertime Sadness, the sibilance was bad and bass was woolly and vague. The Valsalva manouevre didn't change the ear pressure in any way indicating a weak seal.

I then put the Jaben Spinfits on the IE80s and everything was fixed. The same went for the Flares.

What puzzles me is the huge difference between two sets of tips that are supposedly almost alike. I wonder, with the softer silicone, do I need one size larger with the Japanese Spinfits or are they so slippery that they won't seal in my ears.

What has astonished me is the massive difference made by a change in tips.

So now I spend a bit more money and investigate JVC Spiral Dots and maybe the Ortofon tips.

What a fascinating science this is....

You have motivated me to order a set from Jaben in Bangkok just to check the difference for myself. I also have a problem getting a full seal with the Japan version on some of my iem's. Small price to check it out. I've been using the JVC on some of my iem's and it is a reliable seal but they are a bit bass heavy and don't have the 3D soundstage of the Japan spinfits. Maybe the Jaben version are the answer? I will soon find out.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #378 of 1,133
:blink: lol how many variants isthere within the same nozzle category?!?
I got the ones from Dopaminer; white stem grey dome; and my favorite for the looks sold by EarWerkz, smoky dark dome with red stem. :D

Ps: I'm looking towards starting a collection of tips. Gonna add Ortofon at the London CanJam. Now to find a good source for JVC Spiral Dots. :wink:

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #379 of 1,133
blink.gif
lol how many variants isthere within the same nozzle category?!?
I got the ones from Dopaminer; white stem grey dome; and my favorite for the looks sold by EarWerkz, smoky dark dome with red stem.
biggrin.gif

Ps: I'm looking towards starting a collection of tips. Gonna add Ortofon at the London CanJam. Now to find a good source for JVC Spiral Dots.
wink.gif

There are no variants. Jaben's ones are not "genuine" spinfits.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #380 of 1,133
Ps: I'm looking towards starting a collection of tips. Gonna add Ortofon at the London CanJam. Now to find a good source for JVC Spiral Dots.
wink.gif

Dopaminer told me he has Spiral Dots as well when I got my spin-fits.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #381 of 1,133

There are no variants. Jaben's ones are not "genuine" spinfits.

Clearly there are variants or more correctly, different versions, as the newer SpinFits actually rotate 360 degree while older versions didn't.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #384 of 1,133
The packaging on the Spinfits I got from Jaben suggest otherwise.

Perhaps I was too quick to speak.

Every time I have purchased tips from Jaben (Sennheiser IE8 tips, sony tips, UE tips), they have not been genuine tips that are supplied with the earphones.

Apologies.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #385 of 1,133

Clearly there are variants or more correctly, different versions, as the newer SpinFits actually rotate 360 degree while older versions didn't.

Got mine from Japan less than 2 months ago and they do not rotate 360. If they made any change it must be very recent. I will be getting the Jaben version soon but I doubt they rotate 360. We shall see.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #386 of 1,133
Genuine or not, i believe it is depend on different batch and who they OEM to, all of them are from same factory anyway, maybe in the process of manufacturing, spec has been changed due to different requirement.

At this moment Jaben has the proper packaging (Latest), you can see first page first post, i have updated the package picture from Jaben FB page.

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #388 of 1,133
There is obviously some confusion about what Spinfits can and cannot do.  They are called `SPINfits`, and people have mentioned they `rotate 360 degrees` but in fact they are a single compound silicon structure made of two fused parts : the bell and the soundtube.  

The bell section does not rotate on the sound tube.  If you try to rotate it, it will rip.  

There is a flexible joint in the design which allows the bell section to bend towards 360 degrees, around the axis of the sound tube.  That is it.  

This has all been covered before, including this video : 

The flexibility seen in the first few seconds of this video is all you should expect.  Expecting more and complaining about it is illogical. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #390 of 1,133
Seems I am mistaken then. I was left with the impression that the white dome rotates on top of the coloured tube. Since mine doesn't, I thought there is now a revised version that actually does.

I guess it would've been more accurate if they said it flexes around the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back