SpinFit Eartips Thread - The cheapest audio upgrade
Mar 25, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #137 of 1,133
  @H20Fidelity Can you tell me what size stock tips do you use with your GR07? 

Hi,

I use the largest size stock GR07 tips (which I believe have a purple stem)

And the SpinFit tips I use (or have here) are also (L) Large in size. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #138 of 1,133
I am back on the spinfits! I went off them as they were really showing the ropiness of my z5 during burn in. But now after a day or two more I switched back and they work great. As from my play time the Z5 soundstage is more closed in (engaging) and imo bass where it needs to be finally. Also just insanely more comfortable than the stock sony tips. 

These iems are basically quite similar in tonality and bass to the HD650. Which is awesome! 

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #140 of 1,133
  @H20Fidelity Thanks! I'm trying to figure out which size would fit me, I'm using Med. (blue) hybrid on my GR07, but can't get deeper insertion actually. Maybe I should order one pair small and one pair mid.

I think you should be ok with medium SpinFit as they tend to form to your canal.

As for the extra reach they will certainly accommodate that purpose.

I tried SpinFit tips on Fidue A83 earlier today, not sure what I personally think. While the comfort and fit was great it was overly rich in the mids almost 'too detailed' if that makes sense. Like the presentation didn't become brighter / colder but vocals were overly heightened. It was a fun ride for about 15 minutes, vocals were fairly magnified but I really needed to drop back to Spiral Dot tips and add a touch a warmth they provide / smoothness. I wouldn't call the A83 / SpinFit 'grainy or harsh' just very strong, potent. If this was because the nozzle had shaped to my ear canal then it does what's intended. Of course, YMMV. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #142 of 1,133
  Have anyone had any experience with using these on the Shure SE535?

I've used them with my 846. You have to use the trick posted elsewhere putting the center plastic sleeve from one of your Comply tips or the Westone Star Tips first because the shaft is too small without it. It is a simple fix and works to put all the larger diameter tips on your Shure. The spinfits work just fine. Due to the longer shaft on the Shure you may find the insertion depth good for you or it may be too much. Depends on your ears. The spinfits don't like to be shoved up too far into your ear canal. At least that was my experience.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #143 of 1,133
  I've used them with my 846. You have to use the trick posted elsewhere putting the center plastic sleeve from one of your Comply tips or the Westone Star Tips first because the shaft is too small without it. It is a simple fix and works to put all the larger diameter tips on your Shure. The spinfits work just fine. Due to the longer shaft on the Shure you may find the insertion depth good for you or it may be too much. Depends on your ears. The spinfits don't like to be shoved up too far into your ear canal. At least that was my experience.

Could you link me to where I can find one of those Westone Star Tips? Oh, and does the foam comply tips work with the 535? Thanks!

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #144 of 1,133

Could you link me to where I can find one of those Westone Star Tips? Oh, and does the foam comply tips work with the 535? Thanks!

In this case Ebay is you friend. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWestone+Star+tips.TRS0&_nkw=Westone+Star+tips&ghostText=&_sacat=0

There are Comply tips made for your Shure. Just use their size chart on their web site. If you are just using the center post as I describe so that you can use spinfits then you want the T100 series any size SML will do for that as the post are all the same. You should have some Comply tips that came with your Shure. Just pick a size you would never use and take out the center posts. Place that on the Shure first then the spinfits will fit over that no problem.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #145 of 1,133
  In this case Ebay is you friend. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWestone+Star+tips.TRS0&_nkw=Westone+Star+tips&ghostText=&_sacat=0

There are Comply tips made for your Shure. Just use their size chart on their web site. If you are just using the center post as I describe so that you can use spinfits then you want the T500 series any size SML will do for that as the post are all the same. You should have some Comply tips that came with your Shure. Just pick a size you would never use and take out the center posts. Place that on the Shure first then the spinfits will fit over that no problem.

Awesome! Thanks!

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #146 of 1,133

There are Comply tips made for your Shure. Just use their size chart on their web site. If you are just using the center post as I describe so that you can use spinfits then you want the T100 series any size SML will do for that as the post are all the same. You should have some Comply tips that came with your Shure. Just pick a size you would never use and take out the center posts. Place that on the Shure first then the spinfits will fit over that no problem.

Or, you can get the Westone or Comply tips through me, with the Spinfits.  There are shops here that sell every tip on the planet, I think . . .   

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #147 of 1,133
Someone asked me in the PMs for this so I thought I would post it for everyone.  I don`t know how useful it is, but it was kind of fun.  These are the large, medium and small Spinfits compared to some other tips. 

On the top row we have the JVC Spiraldots and their 5 sizes
Next are the Ortofons, which as has been mentioned are relatively small
Next, the middle row shows the Spinfits.  The L has a white soundtube, the M and S have red.
The 4th row are Fitear tips.
The bottom row are the Ostry Sibilance-control tips - the blue indicates the 300 series which are the weakest. You can see the metal mesh in the sound tube.   

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #149 of 1,133
  could you please give more explanation for Osty sibilance-control tips, could not Google any info about them, is there any different types?

Sure - it`s actually Ostry, not Osty.  It was my typo above and I`ve fixed it. 

They suddenly appeared here in Tokyo and nobody seems to know much about them.  They are from Ostry, the chinese IEM maker, but as far as I know they are not included with their IEMs.  They are marketed as sibilance-controlling tips, and come in three strengths, called OS100 (blue), OS200(red) and OS300(strongest, black).  They look a lot like Spinfits (translucent white silicon with colored insert) but fit nothing like them.  There`s no flexible joint, the sound tube is completely rigid -cannot collapse because there is a metal ring inside, and there is a metal mesh in there too.  I bought all 9 variations (3 strengths x 3 sizes) I`ve been testing the M size OS200s all morning on both my Dunu DN2K and Fitear Parterre and the results are quite interesting, and kind of confusing. 

First off, I am getting a perfect, effortless seal with both ears, with the M size. They don`t insert as far as Spinfits, but the quality of silicon is such that the seal, for me, is simply perfect.  
Second, for some reason I am hearing a definite increase in detail.  Assuming the metal mesh is there to block certain frequencies (associated with sibilance), I was expecting a loss of detail. 
Third, with the Dunu DN2K, I am losing significant bass frequencies, the low end is rolling right off. I think this is due to the excellent seal and grip of the Ostry tip, its rigid nature, and the weight of the DN2K: The drivers are simply being held at an un-optimized angle by my outer ear canal shape.  If I use my hands to change the angle, the bass returns as clear as ever.  The DN2K do include all those little silicon add-ons to hold it in place, so I am sure I could align them perfectly, but it`s too much of PITA for me to do that, because the DN2K with Spinfits is perfection. 

With the Parterre, there is no loss of bass, I assume because the rigid over-ear cable is holding the drivers where they need to be.  

It is still very early stage of testing these; I will be taking them out today with both IEMs to do some shopping so it`ll put more real-world challenges on them.  
They really are beautifully made.  I didn`t think silicon tips could get more complex but Ostry managed to do it.  

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #150 of 1,133

Sure - it`s actually Ostry, not Osty.  It was my typo above and I`ve fixed it. 

They suddenly appeared here in Tokyo and nobody seems to know much about them.  They are from Ostry, the chinese IEM maker, but as far as I know they are not included with their IEMs.  They are marketed as sibilance-controlling tips, and come in three strengths, called OS100 (blue), OS200(red) and OS300(strongest, black).  They look a lot like Spinfits (translucent white silicon with colored insert) but fit nothing like them.  There`s no flexible joint, the sound tube is completely rigid -cannot collapse because there is a metal ring inside, and there is a metal mesh in there too.  I bought all 9 variations (3 strengths x 3 sizes) I`ve been testing the M size OS200s all morning on both my Dunu DN2K and Fitear Parterre and the results are quite interesting, and kind of confusing. 

First off, I am getting a perfect, effortless seal with both ears, with the M size. They don`t insert as far as Spinfits, but the quality of silicon is such that the seal, for me, is simply perfect.  
Second, for some reason I am hearing a definite increase in detail.  Assuming the metal mesh is there to block certain frequencies (associated with sibilance), I was expecting a loss of detail. 
Third, with the Dunu DN2K, I am losing significant bass frequencies, the low end is rolling right off. I think this is due to the excellent seal and grip of the Ostry tip, its rigid nature, and the weight of the DN2K: The drivers are simply being held at an un-optimized angle by my outer ear canal shape.  If I use my hands to change the angle, the bass returns as clear as ever.  The DN2K do include all those little silicon add-ons to hold it in place, so I am sure I could align them perfectly, but it`s too much of PITA for me to do that, because the DN2K with Spinfits is perfection. 

With the Parterre, there is no loss of bass, I assume because the rigid over-ear cable is holding the drivers where they need to be.  

It is still very early stage of testing these; I will be taking them out today with both IEMs to do some shopping so it`ll put more real-world challenges on them.  
They really are beautifully made.  I didn`t think silicon tips could get more complex but Ostry managed to do it.  

thanks very much, it sounds interesting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back