Spent So Much Money and Still Disappointed
Feb 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #61 of 186

Quote:
Already covered this. All files are either 320Kbps MP3 or FLAC RAW files. Obviously the jack needs an amp, which I don't have (but will soon).

As mentioned in my earlier post, I have narrowed it down to two options. The Sony MDR-XB1000 or the the Denon AHD2000

Thanks everyone for your great feedback! I'll let everyone know what I ultimately decide on.

Let me phrase it differently one more time: maybe using the headphone jack is the weak point, since the DAC and components up till the headphone jack of the laptop could be mediocre, resulting in mediocre sound, no matter how high quality your audio files are, or how good your next headphones will be. So, whatever headphones you get, whatever headphone amp you get, you'd still be feeding them degraded material.
A USB DAC & headphone amp combo + new headphones I would recommend rather than just a headphone amp + new headphones. Headphone out of the laptop to line into the headphone amp might turn into another disappointment. Just trying to be helpful.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #63 of 186

Quote:
Let me phrase it differently one more time: maybe using the headphone jack is the weak point, since the DAC and components up till the headphone jack of the laptop could be mediocre, resulting in mediocre sound, no matter how high quality your audio files are, or how good your next headphones will be. So, whatever headphones you get, whatever headphone amp you get, you'd still be feeding them degraded material.
A USB DAC & headphone amp combo + new headphones I would recommend rather than just a headphone amp + new headphones. Headphone out of the laptop to line into the headphone amp might turn into another disappointment. Just trying to be helpful.

Ah ok, I apologize. You are saying that the laptop headphone jack itself may be insufficient regardless of the headphones or amp. This is the amp I was looking at (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I18GEPQXOLISCT&colid=32LUEN4NVELDC).

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #65 of 186

Quote:
Ah ok, I apologize. You are saying that the laptop headphone jack itself may be insufficient regardless of the headphones or amp. This is the amp I was looking at (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I18GEPQXOLISCT&colid=32LUEN4NVELDC).

You got it my friend. If possible bypass that hunk of junk all together and that may even change your impressions on your current headphones. I'm still giving the ball to the denons though. If you like the beats, hate the senns, you'll most likely love the Denons. What budget are you on if you don't mind me asking for your source?

I highly recommend the O2 reference amp from JDS labs. You can't go wrong with this baby and can either DIY for $100 or pay $150 for an assembled unit. Then you can get a separate DAC (I use the DACPort LX) and combine them. But if you are looking for an all in one solution I highly recommend the Leckerton UHA6 amp. If you wanna skip the upgrade game just go for that as its a great value and amazing performance.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #66 of 186

Quote:
I'm surprised no-one recommended the Sony MDR-XB700. If you loved the Beats, you'll love the XB700 even more, and they're a lot cheaper. I've owned at least a dozen headphones ranging from €50 to €350 and they're by far the ones I prefer. Great bass, and surprisingly wide soundstage. I don't think you can beat their price/quality ratio.

I've got a pair of XB700's they've got loads of bass not very detail mid range but they rock. I was blasting some rage angst the machine through them at insane volumes earlier and they lapped it up. They also very cheap here in UK, they were about £50 so I guess in new world money they would be about the same. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #67 of 186

Quote:

Yes, that what I was trying to say. Well, that is a USB DAC & headphone amp you were looking at! In your required price range, I was thinking of iBasso's D-Zero, but FiiO's E7 is another alternative. Head-Fi reviews on both units or others might help you make your decision on what to get.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #68 of 186
I honestly think that, after being burned by recommendations, you shouldn't come back for more recommendations.

Listen for yourself. There are places where you can audition headphones. At worst, come to a headphone meet. Granted, the stuff there's likely to be high end but it will give you an idea of how good headphones sound. If you don't like it, you can always go elsewhere to get what you want.

Suggestions here are likely to be all over the place as people just recommend what they like. Now I'm not going to recommend anything because clearly what you like is very different from what I like. But I think you should use your ears more. Unless said someone with the suggestions happens to be really, really experienced in the hobby - but then you may not like the gear they like either.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #69 of 186
There are good cheap things out there that will never get the spot light because they cheap.  This is head fi, you are not cool unless you spend a few hundred on interconnects.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #70 of 186

Quote:
I honestly think that, after being burned by recommendations, you shouldn't come back for more recommendations.

That doesn't follow.  He was burned by "bad" recommendations.  That's like saying because someone didn't like a fast food hamburger they were recommended, that they should ignore all recommendations after that.  Any article that says cans like the HD-515 are amazing and revolutionary is suspect.  I suppose if you were comparing them to dollar store headphones or stock earbuds, maybe.  What he needs is good recommendations.  I agree that he should try out some cans if he can, though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #74 of 186

Quote:
There are good cheap things out there that will never get the spot light because they cheap.  This is head fi, you are not cool unless you spend a few hundred on interconnects.

Well, the M50 enjoyed a very extended flavor of the month status.  That was when you could get a pair fairly easily for a 100 dollars or less.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #75 of 186
Hey OP just want to chime in with 2 points:
  1. Getting a DAC/Amp combi unit certainly seems the way to go. E7's known for a good DAC, and a clean (if not terribly powerful) amp.
  2. Given that you seem to like rock, and if you find that bassy headphones aren't your thing--consider Grado headphones. SR60 and SR80 are <$100, not picky about amps, and get a very good rep around here. (A lot of people even got into the headphone hobby because of Grados!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back