Spent So Much Money and Still Disappointed
Feb 16, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #16 of 186
Also check the quality of the files you are listening to. If they are low rez (<128K) mp3 then you are not going to hear the full range of your headphones. Try listening to a flac version (or higher rez mp3 (320)) of the same tunes see if that makes a difference.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #17 of 186

Quote:
Honestly, don't get sucked into the head-fi state of mind. Buy some adequate headphones like the XB500s, buy any good mp3 player, and download more music. Some people here will act like the most minute change in sound signature has changed their whole outlook on music. Overreaction over the smallest thing is pretty common here, and many are convinced that almost inaudible details are worth a $200 upgrade. Truth is, the biggest step up is the step from crappy earbuds to headphones of decent quality (around the $100 range). Diminishing returns is very much in effect in these forums. Reality is, you really don't notice the difference unless you are constantly A/Bing. But what kind of normal human being really does that? Spend less time A/Bing, and spend more time listening to music. Just being real.

That's true to a certain point. A decent mid-fi headphone may get you say 90-95% of what a pair of hi-fi phones would, lets say. But if you step up, if you decide to step up, you won't just have 5 or 10% to go. Once you get to a set of headphones that need some power, amp time. Once you get an amp, it will show you how crappy your source really is, lol. From there its a mess of cables, and hell that $100 set really won't suffice, moar money please. Power cords, power conditioners... at some point it stops, then you switch headphones and it starts again. So is it worth it? Maybe. That last 10%, 5%, or even 2% the numbers seem low but they can go so far in reproducing emotion, in really getting you into the moment. But if you are sitting in front of a computer all day, and your attention will be elsewhere, this might not fit your listening habits anyway.

My vote goes for the ATH-ESW9A. They do everything well, can do it all well straight out of a mp3 player. Also their midrange isn't thin like the D2000. Though the Denon will hit much harder, the thing just has a massive low end to it, if that's your thing.  

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #18 of 186
Price Tags are not the most important factor, the worst thing you can do is pay upwards of half a grand or even more for headphones when your ears will be more than happy with mid range gear.  I just purchased the Fischer Audio FA 011 for $180 and I had just come away from the Hifiman HE500 at $700.  I enjoy the sound of the FA-11 more.   Death to balanced sound, I say.  Keep it fun, not dry and boring! :D

The HD 598 was my favorite sub $700 headphones until today.  I wouldn't go back to the HD 598 even if you paid me, so long as I have the Fischer Audio FA011 near by and available to use.  It is everything the HD 598 should have been, much more bass quality and quantity, smooth mids, great soundstage for this price, very light but a bit clampy, very easy to drive and does not require amping.  Sounds fantastic right out of my J3 or Fiio E10, so if I had to recommend something sub $200, there is no question this is it. 

The FA011 + E10 combo is awesome, any cheaper dac or amp will suffice.

-Mike

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 186

Quote:
That's true to a certain point. A decent mid-fi headphone may get you say 90-95% of what a pair of hi-fi phones would, lets say. But if you step up, if you decide to step up, you won't just have 5 or 10% to go. Once you get to a set of headphones that need some power, amp time. Once you get an amp, it will show you how crappy your source really is, lol. From there its a mess of cables, and hell that $100 set really won't suffice, moar money please. Power cords, power conditioners... at some point it stops, then you switch headphones and it starts again. So is it worth it? Maybe. That last 10%, 5%, or even 2% the numbers seem low but they can go so far in reproducing emotion, in really getting you into the moment. But if you are sitting in front of a computer all day, and your attention will be elsewhere, this might not fit your listening habits anyway.

My vote goes for the ATH-ESW9A. They do everything well, can do it all well straight out of a mp3 player. Also their midrange isn't thin like the D2000. Though the Denon will hit much harder, the thing just has a massive low end to it, if that's your thing.  

That's my point. If it takes headphones to make a track more emotional, you need to listen to a different track. I won't dispute that there might be a 5% upgrade in "audio romanticism", but It is never worth it. Radioheads "Creep" will be just as emotional on a set of Bose as on a set of Grados. If you don't think so, you need to spend less time analyzing differences in the frequency spectrum, and listen to the music. If you listen to half of Okerville River's "Black Sheep Boy" on some D7000s, and the other half on some D2000s, within a few minutes you'll forget all about the D7000s. You'll get lost in the music. And that's like a $500 difference. Worth it? Definitely not.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 186
That's nothing more than your opinion so why are you saying it like it's a fact? 

Quote:
If you listen to half of Okerville River's "Black Sheep Boy" on some D7000s, and the other half on some D2000s, within a few minutes you'll forget all about the D7000s. You'll get lost in the music. And that's like a $500 difference. Worth it? Definitely not.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 186

Quote:
That's my point. If it takes headphones to make a track more emotional, you need to listen to a different track. I won't dispute that there might be a 5% upgrade in "audio romanticism", but It is never worth it. Radioheads "Creep" will be just as emotional on a set of Bose as on a set of Grados. If you don't think so, you need to spend less time analyzing differences in the frequency spectrum, and listen to the music. If you listen to half of Okerville River's "Black Sheep Boy" on some D7000s, and the other half on some D2000s, within a few minutes you'll forget all about the D7000s. You'll get lost in the music. And that's like a $500 difference. Worth it? Definitely not.

My point was more that the 5% turns into another 100%, as you step up the ladder you have to upgrade other components so you don't hear them in your system, so they don't hold you back. I don't know about radiohead, obviously some music is just emotional, some tracks are just emotional tracks. But some have a bit more subtlety to them, and while you may hear most of it with a mid-fi system, when you hear it on a higher end system your impression is always: Wow, is this the same music I had heard before? Whether it's worth $500 or not, depends on your priorities. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #23 of 186

Quote:

My point was more that the 5% turns into another 100%, as you step up the ladder you have to upgrade other components so you don't hear them in your system, so they don't hold you back. I don't know about radiohead, obviously some music is just emotional, some tracks are just emotional tracks. But some have a bit more subtlety to them, and while you may hear most of it with a mid-fi system, when you hear it on a higher end system your impression is always: Wow, is this the same music I had heard before? Whether it's worth $500 or not, depends on your priorities. 

I know where you're coming from. But for me, the wow moments occurred mostly when I first upgraded. I agree with you though. Difference in opinions and priorities is all it is. I prefer to be content with my headphones, and demand more from my music.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #24 of 186
you will like the denon ah-d2000 if you liked the beats and hated the senns.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #25 of 186
In my experience, the difference between solid mid fi headphones (headphones that 'punch' worth $200-300) and a higher end headphone (HE-500, Miracle) is actually quite dramatic. Mid fi headphones sound great, but hifi headphones really emphasize the little things, which together, make the experience so much more enjoyable. Obviously there are very heavy diminishing returns, but in my opinion, it is totally worth it. Of course, one would prefer a mid-fi headphone that is more in line with their personal listening preferences over just any high end phone, but a high end HP in-line with your listening preferences is truly a spectacular thing to behold. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #26 of 186
Well said Kanashimu. Those are exactly my feelings. Finding the sound signature you like and improving upon it can truly lead you to your audio nirvana.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #28 of 186
I really don't understand why everyone gets carried away with recommending new headphones, when the correct order to proceed is to get the source up to standard. Sure the OP could use better headphones, and I recommend getting better ones too, but I stand by my guns that different models of DAC/headphone amp combos are what should be recommended in the first instance.
Garbage in = garbage out.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #29 of 186
I feel that if you are going to be listening to a song you might as well listen to it from higher quality equipment.
Not if you are going to be eating Ramen Noodles for a month.
Definitely not if you are borrowing for audio gear.

Fortunately there is a lot of great sounding equipment available inexpensively, especially if you consider the DIY route.

OP, I suggest auditioning a D2000 with a FiiO E10.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #30 of 186

Quote:
I really don't understand why everyone gets carried away with recommending new headphones, when the correct order to proceed is to get the source up to standard. Sure the OP could use better headphones, and I recommend getting better ones too, but I stand by my guns that different models of DAC/headphone amp combos are what should be recommended in the first instance.
Garbage in = garbage out.

But that also explains a lot - let's say someone listens to Rihanna instead of Rachmaninoff.

Totally different Head-Fi paths - one stops at a nice pop savvy headphone and that's that,
 there are few if any gains to be had from great source gear and/or higher tier phones because

'It's simply not on the record' 
smile.gif

The other great myth is this obsession with bit rates and extraction into FLAC or WAV 
 - again, tells us nothing about the original mastering quality of the individual's track/s.

Nothing wrong with Rihanna but the bloke who digs his Rachmaninoff for example has
 a lot more gains ahead of him if he pursues nicer source gear, amplification and transducers.

All about the music as already mentioned ~ pity it's not all mastered equally in terms
 of resolution and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back