Spent So Much Money and Still Disappointed
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

thund3rstruck

New Head-Fier
Hoping someone here can make a reasonable suggestion. I have spent hundreds of dollars on headphones over the last few years based on so many "these are the best headphones I have ever heard" recommendations and have been consistently disappointed. Last year I bought a set of Ear Force X41s and a while before that I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 515.

Both these headphones were suppossed to be "amazing" and "revolutionary" according to CNET and amazon. I found them both to be extremely underwhelming. I was ready to give up on headphones when I stepped into a Best Buy and heard a set of Dre Beats and they knocked my socks off! Unfortunately, I have read a ton of reviews online of people bashing those headphones so I have dropped them off the list.

I sit at a computer all day long with a pair of headphones on, plugged into a laptop headphone jack (right now my Sennheiser 515). I want to be blown away by bass and audio clarity (not loud just quality musical depth). I listen to everything from Rap (Eminem, Onyx, etc) to Metal (Megadeth, Slayer) to Classical (The String Quartet, Trans-Siberian Orchestra).

Can someone recommend a headphone/amp combo in the $200-$300 range that will blow me away?

There are so many options out there and I will get absolutely enraged if I get yet another pair of headphones that can't generate decent bass and sound tinny.

Right now I'm considering the Sennheiser 598 and the Sony MDR-XB1000 Extra Bass Headphones. No idea what so ever on amps, never even heard of using an amp with headphones before so I was looking at the FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black)

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 186
Don't listen to CNET, trust me just stay as far away as possible from them. You DO NOT want the Senn HD598, that's probably the opposite of what you need. I've heard good things about the XB1000, but never actually heard it myself so I can't recommend it. My choice would be the Ultrasone PRO 750. Great bass, sound clarity, and amazing with metal and rap.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 186
I sit at a computer all day long with a pair of headphones on, plugged into a laptop headphone jack...

but not all head phone jack are all the same... My dell vostro 1500 the sound quality is rubbish (muffled mid range) and lacks power but my work laptop a HP Elitebook 8530w has excellent sound quality and will drive my headphones to ear damaging volumes.

To sort out my Vostro I've just ordered an usb/dac head phone amp (ibasso D7) maybe this something that you should look into.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 186
Nuforce uDAC2 ($130) + Denon D2000 ($240).

A bit out of your price range, but if you can make it work you will not be disappointed.

These pieces have great synergy, I preferred this setup over my D2000 + Xonar STX hands down.

I also think the D2000 outperform their price point.  Also have lots of potential for upgrades with Lawton mods/recables down the road.  They can go from a starter piece of gear to a fully modded LA2000 top-shelf can.  There's a reason it's always been on Headroom's Top 10 list.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 186
Why don't you just get the headphones that blew you away?

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 186
I think that before purchasing new headphones, the issue to address is the headphone jack of your laptop. Which as others have pointed out, means acquiring a DAC/Headphone Amp combo. Try that with the headphones you already own and see how it improves things.
I would think the greatest weakness of your current set-up lies there: average to mediocre DAC and poor components up till the headphone output in your laptop, resulting in that bass-light and tinny sound.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 186
Theres nothing wrong with buying Beats if its your cup of tea. Shop around to see if you can get a good deal, though. Maybe check out monster refurbs.. you might be able to get a Beats Pro for that price. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 186

Sennheiser HD515 - good for one thing.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 186
Honestly, don't get sucked into the head-fi state of mind. Buy some adequate headphones like the XB500s, buy any good mp3 player, and download more music. Some people here will act like the most minute change in sound signature has changed their whole outlook on music. Overreaction over the smallest thing is pretty common here, and many are convinced that almost inaudible details are worth a $200 upgrade. Truth is, the biggest step up is the step from crappy earbuds to headphones of decent quality (around the $100 range). Diminishing returns is very much in effect in these forums. Reality is, you really don't notice the difference unless you are constantly A/Bing. But what kind of normal human being really does that? Spend less time A/Bing, and spend more time listening to music. Just being real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back