Spent So Much Money and Still Disappointed
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #91 of 186
Quote:
Yea, so I'm confused why so many people recommended the Denon 2Ks? These phones don't have much bass at all. Sure the overall sound is great, but I already had Sennheiser HD 515s (which also don't have any bass) which also sound fine, other than having no bass --which is the entire point of my wanting a new set.

That's strange. My pair had a very noticeable amount of bass, and it did not take an audiophile to hear it. Is it like that out of all possible sources you could listen to it from (amped or not, "nice" or not)?

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #92 of 186

Quote:
Not sure if you read earlier but if you contacted them by phone you could have haggled (bring them down on the price) to around $200+ dollars. That is a big savings over $330.00. I got my Denon 5000 cans for $399.00 when they were on sale at amazon. Just FYI.

Last week's J & R price--no haggling; only mentioning the Head-Fi deal--$210 shipped.  See post #2231 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/2220

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #93 of 186

Quote:
Yea, so I'm confused why so many people recommended the Denon 2Ks? These phones don't have much bass at all. Sure the overall sound is great, but I already had Sennheiser HD 515s (which also don't have any bass) which also sound fine, other than having no bass --which is the entire point of my wanting a new set.

The wife would absolutely kill me if I spent any more money on this so perhaps in a few years I can re-continue my search for a pair of headphones that can actually produce some bass.

I do appreciate everyone's help though! Thanks again!

Cheers!

Playback:

1. FLAC
  2. 320Kbps MP3
  3. Fiio E7 Portable DAC/Amp
  4. Input: Windows 7 x64 (AlienWare M14x)
  5. Input: Creative Zen X-Fi MP3 Player

Just return them to Amazon and get the Sony XB model. It's clear that you're placing much higher value on the bass than an overall balanced sound, so just get the cans that are designed for exactly what you want. Amazon has a very good return/refund policy.

Also, I know it's frustrating when you spend money and don't get what you're after, but there aren't many of us who get lucky enough to find our favorite headphones on the first shot. Sometimes it takes a little time, and there are plenty of ways to sell headphones and gear that weren't quite up to par in terms of your preferences. But if you really love music and you want to find as close to the perfect pair of headphones for you as possible, then you just need to try and be patient until you find it.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #94 of 186
I'm not sure what to tell you then. My Denons 5000s have tons of bass. It was actually too much before I did the mod. What are you using to drive it? I mean if you don't find the Denons to have bass at all then I'm not sure what you could get. Maybe get a pair of subwoofers and use it as a headphone lol :p

Quote:

The wife would absolutely kill me if I spent any more money on this so perhaps in a few years I can re-continue my search for a pair of headphones that can actually produce some bass.

I do appreciate everyone's help though! Thanks again!

Cheers!

Playback:

1. FLAC
  2. 320Kbps MP3
  3. Fiio E7 Portable DAC/Amp
  4. Input: Windows 7 x64 (AlienWare M14x)
  5. Input: Creative Zen X-Fi MP3 Player

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #95 of 186

D2000s have no bass? What?

They have a lot of bass, it just isn't boomy, sloppy, run-over-your-mids bass that is common with most mainstream retail cans. If you just want BOOM BOOM BOOM buy a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580s.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #96 of 186

Quote:
D2000s have no bass? What?
They have a lot of bass, it just isn't boomy, sloppy, run-over-your-mids bass that is common with most mainstream retail cans. If you just want BOOM BOOM BOOM buy a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580s.

I find the D2000 with more BOOMBOOM than the Ultrasone's THUMPTHUMP.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #97 of 186

Quote:

I find the D2000 with more BOOMBOOM than the Ultrasone's THUMPTHUMP.

Yea that's probably because of the HFI-580 more "rounder" peaky bass than D2000's more even/flat bass in the whole range. Deep bass is slower and less punchy so if you roll-off deep bass frequencies a little it leads to punchier, harder hitting bass. XB700 vs AKG K518 DJs are also good examples of this.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #99 of 186

Quote:
Just return them to Amazon and get the Sony XB model. It's clear that you're placing much higher value on the bass than an overall balanced sound, so just get the cans that are designed for exactly what you want. Amazon has a very good return/refund policy.

Also, I know it's frustrating when you spend money and don't get what you're after, but there aren't many of us who get lucky enough to find our favorite headphones on the first shot. Sometimes it takes a little time, and there are plenty of ways to sell headphones and gear that weren't quite up to par in terms of your preferences. But if you really love music and you want to find as close to the perfect pair of headphones for you as possible, then you just need to try and be patient until you find it.

There are a lot of replies here so I'm just going to pick one.

I bought the headphones from Amazon, but not from Amazon (it was an Amazon partner) and I just checked the return policy. Returns are only accepted if the product is defective once the box has been open.

Also, this isn't my first time buying headphones --refer to the title of the post.

really, its not that big a deal. The headphones are ok, definitely not worth $350 and not much better than my Sennheisers (that I paid $49 for) but hey now I know that audiophiles have a different definition of bass than I do. To me bass is the knock, boom, punch, and kick similar to the subwoofers in my car. And these headphones don't have any bass. Songs that absolutely rattle my windows on my home and car stereo have no impact in these headphones. I even put on a few bass CDs and you'd never know they were bass CDs since there wasn't any bass. Oh well, live and learn.

Ultimately, yea I should have bought the Beats but again, totally my responsibility. One thing is for sure though, I won't be buying headphones based on Internet reviews anymore! :)

Thanks again everyone for your time and effort!

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #101 of 186

Quote:

I bought the headphones from Amazon, but not from Amazon (it was an Amazon partner) and I just checked the return policy. Returns are only accepted if the product is defective once the box has been open.

I went through this once with Amazon on a pair of shoes. Long story short you bought the headphones from Amazon. Amazon is the entity that marketed the product, Amazon is the one you contacted to make the purchase, Amazon is the one that billed you, and Amazon is the one that collected the funds. There is a chance you will have to pay  return shipping and a restocking fee, but if you make your case to customer service they should facilitate a return. Like I said in a previous post I was underwhelmed by the d2000's personally. I didnt like their overall signature. For me it was more about the recessed mids than the bass, and I thought they weren't very PRaTty. I did however find them extremely comfortable, and I could tell why they have a strong reputation as a great all arounder.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #102 of 186
Again, it's really not that big a deal. After all, they are great headphones, they're just not what I was expecting (or wanting).

Now using an amp, that my friends was an outstanding recommendation! I just hooked up that FiiO E-7 DAC/Amp to my Logitech Z2300 computer sound system and holy cow! The bass is so deep that its making the hair on the back of my neck vibrate.

I really had no idea that an amp could make this big a difference... wow... I'm starting to think I should have bought a high end amp and lower end phones (Like the Sony XBs)

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #103 of 186
Quote:
really, its not that big a deal. The headphones are ok, definitely not worth $350 and not much better than my Sennheisers (that I paid $49 for) but hey now I know that audiophiles have a different definition of bass than I do. To me bass is the knock, boom, punch, and kick similar to the subwoofers in my car. And these headphones don't have any bass. Songs that absolutely rattle my windows on my home and car stereo have no impact in these headphones. I even put on a few bass CDs and you'd never know they were bass CDs since there wasn't any bass. Oh well, live and learn.

You can't really imitate the feeling of a subwoofer in headphones without dramatically blowing up the bass to the point where it crowds out the rest of the sound spectrum. Even then, you will never get the same punch as a subwoofer. Still, my D2000s would beat me upside the head with bass, and had a noticeable amount of bass even compared with headphones like the Beats Pro. 

Strangely enough, I've heard some people recently complaining about their new D2000 purchases and a lack of bass. Makes me wonder if something is going on with the headphones themselves...

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #104 of 186
Quote:

You can't really imitate the feeling of a subwoofer in headphones without dramatically blowing up the bass to the point where it crowds out the rest of the sound spectrum. Even then, you will never get the same punch as a subwoofer. Still, my D2000s would beat me upside the head with bass, and had a noticeable amount of bass even compared with headphones like the Beats Pro. 

Strangely enough, I've heard some people recently complaining about their new D2000 purchases and a lack of bass. Makes me wonder if something is going on with the headphones themselves...

Having had denon d2k for over a year i can confidentally say the bass is the aspect most affected by DACs.
Depending on the amp depends highly on the bass response and level.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #105 of 186

Quote:
I really had no idea that an amp could make this big a difference... wow... I'm starting to think I should have bought a high end amp and lower end phones (Like the Sony XBs)

The E7 + Sony MDR-XB700 is what I have, and with my EQ settings I'm very happy with my setup. The bass is amazing, and I do get the feeling of having a subwoofer on my head :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back