Special song to test headphone soundstage?
Jun 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #46 of 63
Here are a few more that have some pretty broad sound-stage - both are live recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIXE6YO-vA&list=PL2D713B92AB26667C&index=5

The link above is actually to an HD video mated to the binaural audio that I recorded. It's Indian-fusion music, and comes from a series of videos that were posted (all shot by Michigan Music Monthly) of the band Sumkali. It's interesting to listen to this versus listening and watching. I think there are seven or so excerpts from the concert, and all feature binaural audio.

Also, here's a link to an ensemble show that I recorded a while back. This was done in a small theater (seats about 90) with the mannequin head placed at stage center, facing the musicians. All of the performers were seated in an arc in front of the mannequin - maybe 12 feet or so away (approx 3.5 m). If I had to guess, I would say the total arc length was about 25 feet. As the set progresses, you will hear performers appear at hard left or right, but you will also hear the performers seated closer to the centerline; also, listen for harmony parts being sung by others either close to the performer, or on the opposite side of the stage.

The first set features originals whereas the second set features covers of Joni Mitchell tunes.

Lastly, listen for the rains during part of the performance - pretty cool in the headphones:

https://archive.org/details/CappsDonohoeIannaceJackAndKristLiveAtTheTrinityHouseTheater

Mark
PS: If you like this, you can download the show in flac and other formats (you'll see the download links on the page)

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #47 of 63
  Any decently recorded binaural recordings will do very well in soundstage and imaging. They are great for testing out the spacial capabilities of headphones, since they are designed for headphone listening (by using omni-directional mics and such).

As someone who does a lot of binaural recording, I'd have to agree - in principle. Todd's dead-on right though when he says that binaural is designed with headphones in mind (or to put it another way, binaural really requires headphones to render the correct spatial elements of the recording).

Having said that though, a binaural recording made in a super-reverberant space (i.e. not at all suitable for music) would sound 'accurate', but there would be very little left to right definition due to the boundary conditions in which the recording was made (even though it would be binaural). Thankfully, such recordings are generally only used as part of research efforts, so most of the binaural stuff that you find will almost always have been recorded in conditions more suitable to music...so there's that.

I post a lot of stuff up on soundcloud (immersifi), but there are also others who post binaural stuff up on soundcloud (but DON'T use the soundcloud player as it transcodes down to 128 kbps ...the horror...so, download the files).

One cautionary note though...when I say 'binaural' I am explicitly referring to those recordings made using a mannequin head microphone with artificial ears (or microphones inserted into a person's ears). Regrettably, there are many people out there who continue to call variations on spaced-pair microphones 'binaural', when in fact this is not the case. Just to be clear, I am not knocking some of the good spatial attributes of some of these ersatz / quasi binaural recordings - I'm simply making the point with regard to technical accuracy.

I really should write more about the whole HRTF side of binaural, and may do so in a post sometime soon, as it's really important to understand the role that the median HRTF plays in binaural recording - it's kind of the keystone to the arch that is binaural methodology.

Anyway, you can persue soundcloud for more binaural stuff if you like - if you check the immersifi page, you can look at some of those whom I follow, and vice versa, and you'll find a lot of binaural available.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #48 of 63
Here's a new post...part binaural, and part stereo...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644595/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread/210#post_10624258

Enjoy,

Mark
ADDED: Here is the link for the files in 320 kbps mp3: https://soundcloud.com/immersifi/sets/the-pioneer-high-school-symphony-band-320-kbps-mp3-when-downloaded

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #49 of 63
Just found a new one... Rocky Mountain Way, by Joe Walsh.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #50 of 63
A few selections:

Long Distance Love - Little Feat (The Last Record Album)

Get Outside - Robert Palmer (Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley)

The Goodbye Look - Donald Fagen (The Nightfly)

Shining Moon - Tab Benoit (Nice and Warm)

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (Grace)

How Can I Be Sure - Shelby Lynne (Just a Little Lovin')

Lilac Wine - Jeff Beck (featuring Imelda May) (Emotion and Commotion)

Shadows in the Rain - The POlice (Zenyatta Mondatta)

I'd suggest, if at all possible to audition these from the original CD / great-condition vinyl rather than the re-mastered versions.

Happy Listening,

Mark

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #52 of 63
GOMEZ - from the album "In Our Gun"

Pretty much any track (great for headphones), but some personal favorites...

"Rex Kramer"

"Shot Shot"

"Detroit Swing 66"

"In Our Gun"

This really is a fine-sounding record.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #54 of 63
Just discovered "Zimbabwe" by New Navy. Great test song for imaging and soundstage, sounds sublime on Fidelis X2s. (plus I'd love to revive this thread and get some new music recommendations)!

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #57 of 63
Hi and sorry to jump in with a weird question about soundstage with HPs.
I have listened to many binaural tracks on Youtube.
While i can even perceive the sound behind me i have never been able to perceive the sound placed in front of me.
I will try to explain.
When the sound goes from R to L passing in front of me i actually see it going through my head.
Some evenings ago i was watching an interview on Youtube.
For the 1st time i have clearly perceived the sound frontally coming from the tv screen !
This has been a surprise because i have never thought it were possible.
The source of the sound could be located without big effort on the front.
Like it usally happen with a good stereo speakers system.
Not sharp as with speakers ... a little diffused but still on the front, 2-3 meters ahead of me.
I would like to add that the sensation of sound coming from the front made the listening very natural even if the quality of the recording was very low.
Unfortunately i have lost the link to the interview.

My final question is:   have you ever experienced a sound placed frontally with HPs ?

Until now i have only been able to get the sound out of my head ... and it is already a lot honestly.
I am using a akg k501 for most of my listenings.
but never ever on the front (interview above mentioned aside).
And this makes the experience much less than natural ... what a pity.
Thanks a lot again.
Kind regards,  gino

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #58 of 63
  For the 1st time i have clearly perceived the sound frontally coming from the tv screen !
This has been a surprise because i have never thought it were possible.
In a word the sound had depth of soundstage.

My final question is:   have you ever experienced a sound placed frontally with HPs ?

Some headphones do it better than others.  

Though there can be too much of a good thing since depending on certain factors the same headphone that makes sounds enjoyable far away might make sounds you want in your face less immersive.

See the following from a "what should I get for movies" thread.

Plenty of times I've watched a movie with the DT990 and then took them off because I thought the voice of the person talking was coming from the TV, and the TV was supposed to be muted.  It was muted, of course.

Quote:
I already have the dt990 and the xonar st, and after some serious testing and tweaks I can assure you guys this combo is amazing, Im using a tweaked DH3 config with the help of a real JBL PB12 (sub) near me for the feeling of the lows... wow, I totally forgot that I was wearing headphones!!! But not only that, the sound wasn't coming from inside my head, or the virtual DH speakers... Nope... The sound was inside the movie screen!!!! Omg, Ive never experienced something like this before, on one scene there was some sparks on the scenery and the sound was right there!!! Inside the movie, it was weird but amazing at the same time. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #59 of 63
Some headphones do it better than others.  

Hi and thanks a lot indeed for the very valuable advice.   In my case i am using a akg k501 with a Schiit Magni 2 headphone amp.
As i said it has been a quite unique experience.  The voice of the speaker was clearly coming from the tv screen in front of me.  Usually sound is quite out of my head but around ... for sure not in front of me.
I will listen more carefully anyway.
Though there can be too much of a good thing since depending on certain factors the same headphone that makes sounds enjoyable far away might make sounds you want in your face less immersive.

Priority for me is sound out of the head. In this regards akg are quite ok.  I have also a k701 and the effect is similar. So i guess the position of the drivers count a lot. 
With Grado no soundstage at all that i remember. Other qualities anyway.
See the following from a "what should I get for movies" thread.    Plenty of times I've watched a movie with the DT990 and then took them off
because I thought the voice of the person talking was coming from the TV, and the TV was supposed to be muted. It was muted, of course.  

I will read it carefully for sure starting this evening.   I have also a dt990 250 ohm ... i have put it away when i received the k501.
I have clearly to take it out again. 

May i ask you which amp were you using with the dt990 when you experienced that sensation ?

But i think that i have now some needs really similar to those of video gamers.   I am becoming obsessed by 3D sound with HPs.
I am aware that the best implementation are extremely expensive however.
Thanks a lot again for the very helpful reply.
Regards,  gino 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back