Speaker amps for headphones
Jan 13, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #3,766 of 3,871
I thought the elrog'd tu8600S brought elekit up to pass/arc stack level. I was wrong. Unfortunately the sonic difference between elekit with elrogs and the pass + arc stack is bigger than the difference between he9 and the elekit.

Soundstage becomes comically big with unbelievable air between instruments. Incredible layering more transparency. Large increase in microdynamics. Microdetail elevated. Pass/arc truly intoxicating sound. 2 main problems as I said before: 1. noise (not as bad on hd650 but annoying with hd800S). 2. the stack gets too hot.. very hard to use in summer (winter is fine).

I don't know if ill find a head amp that can do what the stack does while being very low noise and not having as much head production.

(posted in audio gd he thread but copied here for reference)

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #3,767 of 3,871
I feel some here might appreciate this amazing combination of gear

DB44EAAF-8931-4D56-A255-69911FA097EC.jpeg

Also, if anyone can suggest a nice audio rack solution for all this big equipment.... that would be nice :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #3,768 of 3,871
I'm a dude with monoblock AHB2's driving his headphones, but I hopped on the train to crazytown years ago...
Are you still running this setup? Wondering how you compare a single ahb2 VS dual mono? Thanks for any info. :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #3,769 of 3,871
Are you still running this setup? Wondering how you compare a single ahb2 VS dual mono? Thanks for any info. :)
I'd be interested as well, if there is any noticeable difference with headphones.

Except for true channel separation it's hard to imagine any difference

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #3,770 of 3,871

I actually sold off my monoblock AHB2's a year ago when I was laid off :worried:

I have since obtained new employment and got myself an SPL s800 amp which I'm just as happy with. The Benchmarks were cleaner and "blacker", but the s800 has more thump and fun to it. It also matches all my other SPL gear, and after a certain point getting some matching aesthetics is also important lol.

As for single vs dual AHB2's, honestly it's a poor return for the money. There's a tiny smidge of improvement, but for that kind of money, well... I just recently tried out the RAAL HSA-1b with my HE-6 and it blew me away. If I had speakers could use the power, then yeah sure go get dual AHB2's. But once we're into the 4k territory, the Raal is potentially my new favourite (still too early to call it a win).

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,771 of 3,871
Hello,

I have a curiosity... is a strange one but bare with me because I a strange guy. 🤣

Recently I buy a pair of Hifiman HE6SE v2, it was a open box one from Hifiman. Of course Murphy is my best mate so after 2 days left driver go tits up on me and had to send them back to Hifiman for repair.

Speaking with some friends they tell me that HE6SE is close to Susvara like 85-90% Susvara. For those who had or listened both headphones what is your opinion on that? I google a little but is hard to know for sure because people listen them on 1 watt amps and EQ mostly HE6SE.

I try EQ adds quantity but not quality in bass region so is no go for me. This is the reason that I ask here, to find out from someone who drives them properly. 🤘

Next curiosity I drive them with Topping D30/A30 Pro stack. I am 96% that I need more power any recommendations? I don't have a big buget I will probably sell A30 and get something else max $1k.

I want to try power amp but D30 doesn't have pre amp, so I will need to add one or change the dac too. ifi Pro iCAN Signature seems a good choice.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #3,772 of 3,871
Hello,

I have a curiosity... is a strange one but bare with me because I a strange guy. 🤣

Recently I buy a pair of Hifiman HE6SE v2, it was a open box one from Hifiman. Of course Murphy is my best mate so after 2 days left driver go tits up on me and had to send them back to Hifiman for repair.

Speaking with some friends they tell me that HE6SE is close to Susvara like 85-90% Susvara. For those who had or listened both headphones what is your opinion on that? I google a little but is hard to know for sure because people listen them on 1 watt amps and EQ mostly HE6SE.

I try EQ adds quantity but not quality in bass region so is no go for me. This is the reason that I ask here, to find out from someone who drives them properly. 🤘

Next curiosity I drive them with Topping D30/A30 Pro stack. I am 96% that I need more power any recommendations? I don't have a big buget I will probably sell A30 and get something else max $1k.

I want to try power amp but D30 doesn't have pre amp, so I will need to add one or change the dac too. ifi Pro iCAN Signature seems a good choice.
i got both. more like 40 percent susvara. not even close. the original is even better. i got all of them. i ran them.of speaker taps.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,773 of 3,871
Anyone else here run 2 parasound zamp v3's in mono? Currently in transit and will arrive tomorrow and was curious on what gain setting i should use for them. They are going to power my He-6 4screw.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,774 of 3,871
such as SOLUPEAK ST42, which I have. Its two knobs allow easily choosing from 8 different input/output combinations.
mine arrived on Wednesday, unfortunately, first experience is rather off-putting: it's a solid build, knobs have a nice feel to them, but the device is leaking signal. even with the source selection knob in 'Off' position, there is low, but audible sound in both 'Amp A' and 'Amp B' outputs. with source selected, the amp of choice on the right side will play at a normal volume, but the de-selected amp will also have (a much lower) sound. moreover, the sound coming out of the active amp is mashed together - I bought the device to A/B Feliks Echo against SW51+, sat down to it, and was completely baffled, as they sounded almost the same to me. then a discovered the leakage issue. playing SW51+ off the DAC directly made a huge difference.

strange, this, as there seem to be plenty of happy customers. wrote to the seller on Friday, will report back.

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #3,775 of 3,871
Your use case (A/B testing) is more demanding than mine (convenient switching between different endpoints for casual day-to-day listening). If I were you, I'd get a higher-quality switch (presumably more expensive).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #3,776 of 3,871
I’m running my Susvara, HE6SEv2 and soon Veritè Closed from the speaker taps of my Luxman R-117, with a TP-117 preamp. It works really well. Nothing like 160wpc into 8 ohms to drive power hungry cans.

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #3,777 of 3,871
Thoughts on this tube amp being used to drive headphones from speaker taps?

Review(s)

Product site
https://doge.audio/product/doge-10-padc/

Anything that would be concerning to running a 1266 and/or Susvara straight of the speakers taps of this via LQI (Balanced XLR 4 Pin Female to Speaker Taps - Banana Plugs) cable?

Yes I used the Doge 7 Mk3 amp to drive my LCD4. I did not used the speakers taps but a Zynsonix speaker amp to headphone box. Sounds spectacular for OST, hip hop genres.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #3,778 of 3,871
mine arrived on Wednesday, unfortunately, first experience is rather off-putting: it's a solid build, knobs have a nice feel to them, but the device is leaking signal. even with the source selection knob in 'Off' position, there is low, but audible sound in both 'Amp A' and 'Amp B' outputs. with source selected, the amp of choice on the right side will play at a normal volume, but the de-selected amp will also have (a much lower) sound. moreover, the sound coming out of the active amp is mashed together - I bought the device to A/B Feliks Echo against SW51+, sat down to it, and was completely baffled, as they sounded almost the same to me. then a discovered the leakage issue. playing SW51+ off the DAC directly made a huge difference.

strange, this, as there seem to be plenty of happy customers. wrote to the seller on Friday, will report back.

ok, so, first off, the seller on Ali is responsive and trying his best to help. the answers are a bit delayed, but they come. in the end the seller has replaced my unit, and it's much better, good enough in fact for me to keep it.

honestly though, it's not ideal, so I thought I'd put it out there. so, here's how it is.

1. Left knob (source selector) is in 'Off' position, the signal is coming to both input 1 (DAC) and input 2 (TT) - in this situation when 'Amp A' is selected on the right, I can hear both DAC and TT signals, very low, really low - I have to max out the amp to even hear it at all - coming from Amp A, while in Amp B it's dead-quiet. when 'Amp B' is selected on the right, it's pretty much the same situation, but now both signals are in Amp B, while Amp A is quiet.

2. Left knob (source selector) is in '1' position (DAC), with signal coming to both input 1 (DAC) and input 2 (TT). important thing is that in this use-case the signal from TT is not messing with the signal from the DAC - it's only DAC which can be heard, no matter if I max the volume on Amp A or Amp B, the sound from TT does not come through. if 'Amp A' is selected on the right, the amp in question behaves pretty much as expected, producing sound at listening level, clean and nice, but if Amp B is maxed out, it's the same story - very low sound can be heard (again - only from selected source).

3. It's pretty much the same when selecting position '2' on the left, but now with TT in play - again, no signal from DAC to be heard.

in practical terms I think I can live with it. my initial use-case was A/B of the amps, and here I think the picture is a bit sketchy, but now I am past that and intend to use the device to A/B(/C) DACs, so my obvious worry was that there will be a signal creep and overlay from the DACs which will invalidate any testing, but this part seems to be working as intended.

there you have it, I hope it might come handy for some.

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #3,779 of 3,871
hi all,i am not sure if this was discussed before but i am looking for a speaker amp for susvara and i came across benchmark ahb2 and audio gd master 10 mkii as they are similarly priced.anyone knew abt these two? i know they differ a lot in size and.connection might be a bit shy for master 10.

Jun 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #3,780 of 3,871
hi all,i am not sure if this was discussed before but i am looking for a speaker amp for susvara and i came across benchmark ahb2 and audio gd master 10 mkii as they are similarly priced.anyone knew abt these two? i know they differ a lot in size and.connection might be a bit shy for master 10.
AHB2 is still my personal favourite source for the Susvara.

I have other amps I prefer for other headphones, but for the Susvara the AHB2 just seems to work so damn well with it in both power and signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back