Speaker amps for headphones
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,086 of 3,871
  Just want to let you guys know that I am loving my F5 + HE-6 during these winter nights! I want to share the joy, so I have a slot open for someone that would like a F5 amp. PM me for details. I also have a very nice integrated amp for sale that is ready to ship too :)
beerchug.gif

I cant wait for my F5 
eek.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,088 of 3,871
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2,090 of 3,871
I posted this somewhere else and got no response. Maybe I'll have better luck here:

Is anyone using speaker outputs (with attenuation of course) for headphones? I have a pair of vintage distribution boxes from a recording studio (similar to Furman HR-2) for using something like a 50 watt amp to run several sets of cans. Anybody doing anything like this? If so whats your setup?

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,091 of 3,871
You came to the right place sir. Rob. Help please

Al. D

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,092 of 3,871
This entire thread is about using speaker amps for headphones.

Those distribution boxes can be a bit funny. Most are probably some sort of L-pad arrangement (and I'd assume pot after the pad, but who knows). Some might be mono. They're typically meant for tapping a headphone line from between the amp and stage monitor. No way to tell for sure without cracking the thing open and looking at the guts.

If it's all you've got, then work with it (you have a spare, so it doesn't hurt to open one up).

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2,093 of 3,871
This entire thread is about using speaker amps for headphones.

haha... Yes, I gathered that from the title. I was lazy and did a copy/paste from my other post. I have Lou Gehrig's (ALS) and I type with a mouse via on-screen keyboard. I tend to keep my posts brief and to the point. I have a friend who will be digging in and cleaning these boxes for me. I'll report on my findings and testing soon I hope.

I found nothing on the net about these.

Here's a pic:

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,094 of 3,871

He's an engineer in the sense a janitor is a sanitation engineer?

:D

"Oh, that's too loud!" 
biggrin.gif

Where did i hear that?:)

The T1 and the HD800 can be used side by side, but none with the HE-6. I guess I'll get the RobinetteBox as the first step and i just use the HE-6 with speaker amp for the time being until i make up my mind.

Happy New Year
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,095 of 3,871
haha... Yes, I gathered that from the title. I was lazy and did a copy/paste from my other post. I have Lou Gehrig's (ALS) and I type with a mouse via on-screen keyboard. I tend to keep my posts brief and to the point. I have a friend who will be digging in and cleaning these boxes for me. I'll report on my findings and testing soon I hope.

I found nothing on the net about these.

Here's a pic:

Yes, boxes like these are purpose built to use with small power power amps like a Bryston 2B-LP (a 50 Watt per channel amp) and higher impedance headphones.

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2,096 of 3,871
Use your speaker amp for a your headphones. Just use some more attenuation for the t1 or hd800

I have the HDVD800. And when compared to my KRELL KAV 400 xi. It's seems to bright
I like the krell better. But if you want all the detail of the best recording. Then the HDVD800 is it.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,098 of 3,871
Thanks . I think that most amps are good for the headphone use. I would buy one that has a good review as a speaker amp . It must have a low noise floor. It does not need to be rated more than 50 watts at 8 ohms, but can be more. I think that class a or a/ b is a must as well. If you go for a tube amp, keep in mind tube rolling as an option .

And above all do. NYC get a 20+ old amp unless you can fixit your self. Hope this helps .

Al. D

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,099 of 3,871
I've been eyeing the NAD D3020 lately. Great form factor, functionality, the right power range... and I just read that Hypex had a hand in its development which is very promising.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,100 of 3,871
  I've been eyeing the NAD D3020 lately. Great form factor, functionality, the right power range... and I just read that Hypex had a hand in its development which is very promising.

Have you personally heard/used any Hypex stuff by chance? I am interested in a couple of their offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back