Speaker amps for headphones
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #3,436 of 3,871
Any idea what is the cause of the buzzing?

If you can't find the cause, are you going to get the items replaced, or just live with it?

I think it would drive me crazy haha

I was thinking it was just power supply noise inherent within the amp. It's low enough in level that it's only noticeable with complete silence (i.e. no music playing). I did do a little bit of listening and it certainly sounded great. I have to admit though that I've done 95+% of my listening with the Susvara since I received the XA25. it's just so seductive.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3,437 of 3,871
Any idea what is the cause of the buzzing?

If you can't find the cause, are you going to get the items replaced, or just live with it?

I think it would drive me crazy haha
There are many sources of noise inside an amp. The more sensitive your load, the more audible they become. Again, if you're hearing quiescent noise from whatever you're driving a headphone with, then you either need an amp with less gain or a lower noise floor. Or you can try and train your mind to not notice (good luck with that). :)

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,438 of 3,871
I picked up a Primaluna Prologue Premium amp and wanted to try this out to drive headphones. Do I just need to put a resistor in parallel on the binding posts to get close to 8 ohms? It looks like with 300 ohm HPs an 8.2 gets me pretty much spot on and for a 60 ohm HP, a 10 ohm resistor. Any tradeoffs with going with a 25 watt resistor vs. a 10 watt? The Primaluna output impedence from the 4 and 8 ohm taps matches the load (i.e. output impedance on 4 ohm taps is approximately 4 ohms and approximately 8 ohms on the 8 ohm tap); does that make any difference at all?

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #3,441 of 3,871

Thanks for thread. I hadn't read that one, but had read a the first 25 pages or so of this thread. I do see the concerns mentioned as not having a sufficient load on the tube amp with higher impedance headphones, using too low a wattage for resistors (e.g. the hifiman box), and the gain/volume. To address the load issue, that's why I was asking about the 10 ohm resistor in parallel; for the wattage, that's why I was asking about 10 or 25 watt resistors, and regarding the gain/volume issue, I will have a pre-amp (pass labs XP-15) fronting the tube amp which I have already been successfully using with even higher powered solid state amp so I know I can control the gain/volume.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #3,442 of 3,871
So these arrived.

Redemption.jpg

The Susvaras have scaled into a superior headphone now than on my Cayin tube preamp and Roksan K3 power amp. Immediately evident are more details, sound stage, and last but certainly not the least, dynamic slam.

Also, damn quiet on my Susvara and on my dynamic drivers (well, I have mostly planars, and only the Auteur as dynamic driver, and I suppose the HD 650, if you want to count that).

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,443 of 3,871
So these arrived.

Redemption.jpg

The Susvaras have scaled into a superior headphone now than on my Cayin tube preamp and Roksan K3 power amp. Immediately evident are more details, sound stage, and last but certainly not the least, dynamic slam.

Also, damn quiet on my Susvara and on my dynamic drivers (well, I have mostly planars, and only the Auteur as dynamic driver, and I suppose the HD 650, if you want to count that).

That's looking good and probably sounding great! So glad you received both the units. Give it some more headtime and report back!

So funny, we're like head-fi twins. I even have the same headphone stand and we'll both have May DACs soon.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,446 of 3,871
So these arrived.

Redemption.jpg

Beautiful stack! Wish I could hear how that sounds. The only thing I would change out is the wooden stand.. It needs a silver Rooms Audio Line stand to complete the look! Again, congrats man. Simply awesome. Is that end game?

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #3,447 of 3,871
Beautiful stack! Wish I could hear how that sounds. The only thing I would change out is the wooden stand.. It needs a silver Rooms Audio Line stand to complete the look! Again, congrats man. Simply awesome. Is that end game?

Glad you asked, Roasty.

I hope this is end game.

I recently had a chance to audition the WA33, and the Susvara sounds better on the XA25 and XP12, so yeah, I can't imagine any other way of lavishing my Susvaras, haha.

As for the stand, I know where you are coming from, but the stand also goes well with my desk, which has a similar texture and color (I usually keep the stand on my desk anyway, not perched up on top of the pre amp, :)).

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #3,448 of 3,871
So these arrived.

Redemption.jpg

I don't even have a Susvara but this looks amazing. Do you use any Power conditioning and Power cables?
This would be the only "next step" I could imagine.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #3,449 of 3,871
I picked up a Primaluna Prologue Premium amp and wanted to try this out to drive headphones. Do I just need to put a resistor in parallel on the binding posts to get close to 8 ohms? It looks like with 300 ohm HPs an 8.2 gets me pretty much spot on and for a 60 ohm HP, a 10 ohm resistor. Any tradeoffs with going with a 25 watt resistor vs. a 10 watt? The Primaluna output impedence from the 4 and 8 ohm taps matches the load (i.e. output impedance on 4 ohm taps is approximately 4 ohms and approximately 8 ohms on the 8 ohm tap); does that make any difference at all?
Doesn't the primaluna have an headphone out?
Afaik that one uses the exact same circuit with an additional resistor in between, so Essentially what you're trying to do yourself from the speaker taps

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #3,450 of 3,871
I don't even have a Susvara but this looks amazing. Do you use any Power conditioning and Power cables?
This would be the only "next step" I could imagine.
Save the money, if you live anywhere in the western world your utility power is already fine. Another one of those fields where a problem is invented to allow for a solution to be sold. You can measure electrical anomalies that are inaudible which means there is no need to try and correct them for audible reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back