Speaker amps for headphones
Feb 24, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,122 of 3,871
I talked about this in the HiFiMAN HE-1000 thread just a couple days ago and the follow up response was "I respect your opinion, but using a speaker amp with headphones is just about the worst thing you could do ... Paying for watts, not quality ... Distortion ... Headphone amps are better for headphones ... Using no amp at all is best ..."

I'm not saying there's only 1 way to go, but I've been rather impressed with the 5-6 speaker amps I've used with headphones, now. And I completely plan on trying my 4-5 pairs of headphones all on various speaker amps and headphone amps because I now know that both can offer up some pretty great stuff.

That would entirely depend on the amp. I doubt many here with a good home speaker system would tolerate the so called distortion that joker is on about.

Or in other words, he drank the cool aid.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #3,123 of 3,871
I talked about this in the HiFiMAN HE-1000 thread just a couple days ago and the follow up response was "I respect your opinion, but using a speaker amp with headphones is just about the worst thing you could do ... Paying for watts, not quality ... Distortion ... Headphone amps are better for headphones ... Using no amp at all is best ..."

I'm not saying there's only 1 way to go, but I've been rather impressed with the 5-6 speaker amps I've used with headphones, now. And I completely plan on trying my 4-5 pairs of headphones all on various speaker amps and headphone amps because I now know that both can offer up some pretty great stuff.

That's obviously someone who has never heard headphones out of a great (vintage in my case) speaker amp.  My 40 year old Pioneer Spec system sounds amazing both out of the headphone out as well as from the speaker taps (driving my HE-6). 

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,124 of 3,871
I can imagine that  some headphone amp will sound better  with my HE-400 than out of the headphone out of my Sansui AU-7700, but i bet that with  these magneplanars or my he 400 this  headphone amp WOULD be way costly than my past headphone amp, because this headphone tube  amp (very well regarded here) dont compare  a second to the Sansui...My few hundred dollars Sansui recap included is so good that i dont wish to pay for a slim upgrade , perhaps one thousand dollars and probably way more for a slim diminishing return...

Buy used and vintage amp, if you use planar headphone and forget any headphone amp around one thousand dollars...Last but not least, the greatest upgrade i ever live to listen, cost a few bucks and transform any sound system to a new level...Almost all hype here is only for selling new gear...I possess now  an audiophile system for one thousand dollars, including all pieces, dac, amp, speakers, headphone, bought used or vintage, and modulo some tweaks the resulting system is so good that i have forgot any so called Upgrade for a long time to come...I say all that for the newcomer with few money in his pocket to sparkle some hope for him... inform yourself before spending money 
smile.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,125 of 3,871
Hi everyone just hooked up the 10 ohm 25 watt wire wound resistors to the +ve (signal ) line output from each of my Audionote 300B tube monobloc amps. Wow the HD800 and He560 never sounded so good .. no more hiss from too high gain ... 1 more Appj resistor biz from eBay deliver next week then I can go full balance from my PWD DAC II to my Headphones.. will report back after further tests..
Happy listening everyone

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,126 of 3,871
  I can imagine that  some headphone amp will sound better  with my HE-400 than out of the headphone out of my Sansui AU-7700, but i bet that with  these magneplanars or my he 400 this  headphone amp WOULD be way costly than my past headphone amp, because this headphone tube  amp (very well regarded here) dont compare  a second to the Sansui...My few hundred dollars Sansui recap included is so good that i dont wish to pay for a slim upgrade , perhaps one thousand dollars and probably way more for a slim diminishing return...

Buy used and vintage amp, if you use planar headphone and forget any headphone amp around one thousand dollars...Last but not least, the greatest upgrade i ever live to listen, cost a few bucks and transform any sound system to a new level...Almost all hype here is only for selling new gear...I possess now  an audiophile system for one thousand dollars, including all pieces, dac, amp, speakers, headphone, bought used or vintage, and modulo some tweaks the resulting system is so good that i have forgot any so called Upgrade for a long time to come...I say all that for the newcomer with few money in his pocket to sparkle some hope for him... inform yourself before spending money 
smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-481-A-Tube-Amp-With-All-Fisher-branded-Telefunken-Tubes-/152499668456?hash=item2381b045e8:g:DPIAAOSwCU1Yy1AH

Would that be vintage enough? I'm curious how that sounds.

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #3,127 of 3,871
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-481-A-Tube-Amp-With-All-Fisher-branded-Telefunken-Tubes-/152499668456?hash=item2381b045e8:g:DPIAAOSwCU1Yy1AH

Would that be vintage enough? I'm curious how that sounds.

This tube Fischer amplifier are mythical beast with great sound it seems if you roam reviews on the internet...except the restoration price, and the cost of good tubes will triple  and exceed by far the basic cost of my Sansui....Some Sansui sound very detailed, clean, and tube like... Sansui , because of the ratio quality/cost / versatility are  one  of the most interesting bargain... But if i had money, i will surely try this Fischer...
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #3,128 of 3,871
So, I now drive my HE1000 v2's from the Speaker outputs of McIntosh MHA150 and wow. It's up there with the best setup I've heard yet outside of Orpheus 2

May 27, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,130 of 3,871
Ugh, people are still building that gorram box?
Just make an L-Pad, and get rid of all those switches that can potentially short circuit your amp.

May 27, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #3,133 of 3,871
The robinette box is an L pad

It's an L-pad with the potential to blow your amp and take your headphones with it.

There should never be an adapter that joins your negative binding posts together. Just make a simple L-pad that goes from binding post to XLR4(f). Make sure your headphone has an XLR4(m) plug on it. That's it. No switches. No kludged "ground" that floats between your negatives.

May 27, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #3,134 of 3,871
It's an L-pad with the potential to blow your amp and take your headphones with it.

There should never be an adapter that joins your negative binding posts together. Just make a simple L-pad that goes from binding post to XLR4(f). Make sure your headphone has an XLR4(m) plug on it. That's it. No switches. No kludged "ground" that floats between your negatives.

Basic Speaker Amp to Headphone Adapter - Balanced Output XLR 4-Pin
Of the link I posted above Is exactly what you are saying ! No?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back