Sparkle & Atrio can now be used in the same sentence...
Mar 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #46 of 133
Give them a few more days of burn in. I had never really believed that dynamics would need this much time but I'm a believer now. I'm sure there's some brain burn in too but these have definitely changed a lot over the course of 80+ hours.

The timbre remains great and the bass quantity did grow some. The best part about that is low volume listening. The Westone W3 is the only other IEM I've had that allows for great dynamic range at lower volumes.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #47 of 133
I just listened to my Atrios MG7 for the first time today (no burn in). This thing sounds great. They are definitely warm phones but i won't say very warm. I hear the bass (it's goes very low and is well textured) but it's not overpowering. I am using the double flange silicone sleeves that came with the Atrios and I do get a good fit with them....Thank God. My Phonak Perfect Bass Earphones sounds anemic next to the Atrios. The Atrios are way more exciting to listen to. In fact i'm going to sell off the Phonak's. I have untrained ears but very good hearing and so far hasn't experienced any of the problems/imperfections mentioned in the previous posts. One more thing is I can listen at extremely low volumes. Half of the volume of what i used to listen to with the Phonaks. With the Atrios I can feel the bass and with the Phonaks i could only hear it. I think i finally found my earphone that i've been after in the Atrios.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #48 of 133
Mines are on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More comparisons please W3 vs. Atrio?

beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #49 of 133
Can anyone explain why, on eCOST website, the black Atrio M5 is listed for 179.99 while the blue one is 119.99? Both have the same descriptions stating they have the new MG7 drivers.

Also, how's 120 dollars a discount from the TF10s? They were gonig for under $100 just a few months ago

EDIT

The blue one, even though right under the link it says features the new MG7 driver, under specifications they still have the MG5pro dynamic drivers. Very confusing. Anyone can verify?

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #50 of 133
Somebody tried the Atrios with Sony Hybrids? Do the fit?

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #51 of 133
Here are my NEW Atrios in all their glory:

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #53 of 133

Quote:
Mines are on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More comparisons please W3 vs. Atrio?

beerchug.gif

I have both and did some side by side comparing this morning.

The W3 has better clarity and instrument separation.  While the new M5 has better timbre and instruments sound more realistic.  The W3 mids are more forward to me (I do not find the W3 mids even close to recessed like some do) and can handle songs with upper mid peaks better than the M5.  I also find the treble out of the W3 to be better than the M5.  It is clearer and has more sparkle.

The M5 has more sub bass than the W3.  Bass guitars and kick drums sounds more realistic with the M5.  In complex, fast drumming songs the W3 is far superior because of it's clarity and separation.  In slower/acoustic songs the M5 is superior in the bass guitar and drum presentations.  They sound amazingly real!  The W3 soundstage is much wider and the M5 seems to put you closer to the stage.

Both have excellent low volume listening.  What I mean by this is that you can still enjoy the dynamic range of both at low volumes.  Most IEM's suffer in dynamic range at low volume; mainly having bass response suffer.  The W3 is the best low volume IEM I've ever heard, with the M5 being a close second.

I think these 2 IEM's are a very good compliment to each other.  They each seem to excel where the other is slightly deficient.  I'm glad to have both but would be happy with either.  If I had to choose one, it would be the W3 for better low volume listening and a more comfortable/stable fit.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #54 of 133

Quote:
Can anyone explain why, on eCOST website, the black Atrio M5 is listed for 179.99 while the blue one is 119.99? Both have the same descriptions stating they have the new MG7 drivers.

Also, how's 120 dollars a discount from the TF10s? They were gonig for under $100 just a few months ago

EDIT

The blue one, even though right under the link it says features the new MG7 driver, under specifications they still have the MG5pro dynamic drivers. Very confusing. Anyone can verify?

Those blue ones may indeed be the old v2.  I would call eCost before ordering.  In fact for $10 more I'd get the special edition instead.  It's definitely the new one.  I like the chocolate color better than the blue and maybe the case is better.  I'm not a fan of the normal case; it's really big and thin.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #55 of 133
Almost +30h burn in through the weekend and it's definitly helping taming the sharpness in the upper mids. Not quite perfect yet, but I'm more optimistic.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #56 of 133
After burning then in for another 20+ hours this weekend, I'm afraid the upper mid harshness is not gone.  In fact, I decided to take a frequency sweep of the Atrios to see if I could find anything amiss.  What I found was surprising, but it definitely confirms my suspicions...there is a 9db peak at 5 kHz as well as a 5 db peak at 2kHz.  Now my headphone jig...thingy... was not set up as well as it could, and I have a few ideas to improve the seal and get a better bottom end measurement.  I used a parametric eq to tame the peaks and it sounds much better. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #57 of 133
Ha, figured out the 5 kHz peak - EQ-ed it down of 5db, but the harshness was still there. The problem is, that further EQ down suffers in clarity - I hoped the burn in would help here more.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #58 of 133
Sadly I don't think burn in is going to help...I've over 80 hours on mine and the peak is still there.  Not quite as bad as it was when I first got them, but still very audible.  Once I get my headphone adepter rig thingy up and working I will post some graphs of their response. I will say that I didn't notice any reduction in detail when I eqed the peaks out.  To me it just fixed the response to make it more listenable, but the detail is still there...just not as in your face.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #59 of 133
People ordering from Ecost is a red flag sometimes they have in stock when it's not.

I just went thru a process of getting money back, arguing a bit and punching somebody thru the phone. 

It is highly recommended you call to make sure it's in stock.

Their quite drunk in their daily routines of updating. 
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #60 of 133

Quote:
People ordering from Ecost is a red flag sometimes they have in stock when it's not.

I just went thru a process of getting money back, arguing a bit and punching somebody thru the phone. 

It is highly recommended you call to make sure it's in stock.

Their quite drunk in their daily routines of updating. 
cool.gif

Sorry you had that frustrating experience Confispect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back