Sparkle & Atrio can now be used in the same sentence...
Feb 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 133
I bought one from ecost today with the new MG7 Dynamic Driver. Should be here next week. I can't wait.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #20 of 133
Got mine yesterday. They have been burning in for 17 hours now. At this moment I can't understand how these have a basshead reputation.

They sound very balanced if a little light on bass quantity. The highs were a little sharp out of the box but are sounding quite nice now. Pretty decent sparkle. Mids are not forward or recessed to me and seem a little dry.

However, for me, the tip selection is awful. The hard clear tips sound best as they have the largest opening but they are a little uncomfortable. Why not make these softer? I may have to try modding some fake sony hybrids. I have some olives and they sound decent but not as good as the hard clear tips. The supplied foam tips are terrible and I don't do biflange tips very well.

I'm burning them in with my 2g Nano, which is not so great sounding anyway. For instance all the built in eq's distort badly. I hope when I get these on one of my better players the bass quantity is better.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 133

Quote:
Got mine yesterday. They have been burning in for 17 hours now. At this moment I can't understand how these have a basshead reputation.

They sound very balanced if a little light on bass quantity. The highs were a little sharp out of the box but are sounding quite nice now. Pretty decent sparkle. Mids are not forward or recessed to me and seem a little dry.

However, for me, the tip selection is awful. The hard clear tips sound best as they have the largest opening but they are a little uncomfortable. Why not make these softer? I may have to try modding some fake sony hybrids. I have some olives and they sound decent but not as good as the hard clear tips. The supplied foam tips are terrible and I don't do biflange tips very well.

I'm burning them in with my 2g Nano, which is not so great sounding anyway. For instance all the built in eq's distort badly. I hope when I get these on one of my better players the bass quantity is better.

Yeh i hear those eartips that come with the Atrios are not the best.

Here is a link to eartips thread for the Atrios that might help you:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536912/review-future-sonics-atrios-comparison-between-different-tips 

After reading the thread I ordered the Shure Soft Flex Sleeves Medium Black since my Atrios are black. I chose the Shure Soft Flex Sleeves because they are COMFORTABLE.

I should be receiving my Atrio (MG7) later on this evening via ups.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #22 of 133
Hard-clear tips? I only remember receiving the black double flange tips & foam tips w/ mine. I don't recall any clear ones.

Are you positive you're getting a good seal? These headphones are ANYTHING but bass-light. They're certainally more balanced than previous version Atrios, but still pretty heavy in the bass.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 133
Hard-clear tips? I only remember receiving the black double flange tips & foam tips w/ mine. I don't recall any clear ones.

Are you positive you're getting a good seal? These headphones are ANYTHING but bass-light. They're certainally more balanced than previous version Atrios, but still pretty heavy in the bass.

You're right. The hard clear came from my W3 box. I also have the Shure soft flex. While comfortable the sound hole is small, so they don't sounds a good to me as the hard clear ones. The Sony hybrids have the larger hole and the outside is soft like the Shures.

I'm getting a good seal but have tried multiple positions to make sure. I hear deep sub bass but not getting much impactful mid bass. Maybe that's my issue: expecting more impact. Anyway I'll try with my better/more recent Apple Daps tonight. By that time I'll have 24 hrs burn in on them.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 133
What about the small double flange eartips that came with the Atrios. Did you try those?

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #25 of 133
A bit late to the party, but these Atrios seem to sound different from whatever I own at the moment, and are very reasonably priced too =O

Maybe adding this to me collection in the future if I turn out to like it (not a hard thing, I like most sound sigs) =)

BTW, derailing a little bit down here, but what differences did you perceive the Custom 3 remolded? Its a bit too deep inserting for my ear and a modded Shure Biflange and the SM3 defalt flanges are the only ones I can use it with at the moment, and fitting it with a Shure E2 sleeve cuts extensions at both end severely for my case.

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 133
Just got my Atrios. These iems do look better in person than they do on the computer.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #27 of 133
They have over 24 hrs on them and seem to be getting a little better. Earlier today, while switching tips, I actually experienced sibilance! It was shhh-shing all over the place (I've never experienced sibilance in any of my IEMs before). That's seems to have passed and I also think I've settled on using my olive tips. Tonight the bass was a little tighter and the olives were not absorbing the sparkle and there wasn't any sibilance. So far I still would not call them bass heavy. Throughout this burn in period they have been very balanced. I'll see what another 24 hrs bring.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #28 of 133

Quote:
Just got my Atrios. These iems do look better in person than they do on the computer.

That's nice to hear.  Damn this week is taking forever to go by. . .

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #29 of 133
Quite fun this earphone. Very nice bass indeed. Mine is troubled with some (propably) upper midrange harshness - cymbals are often a bit too "shhhh" than nice "tss" (though no sibilance in vocals). Hope this goes away after more burning in (I bought from second hand and the owner said it was already 50h burn in).

I'm using actually cut down tri-flanges (just the last biggest one) - it's the easiest to use from all of the tips (FS flanges, Shure Olives, even UM56) and gives me the best isolation (FS flanges, Shure Olives, even UM56).

Maybe not so spacious, clean and detailed as mine UM3X, but fun indeed.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #30 of 133
Quite fun this earphone. Very nice bass indeed. Mine is troubled with some (propably) upper midrange harshness - cymbals are often a bit too "shhhh" than nice "tss" (though no sibilance in vocals). Hope this goes away after more burning in (I bought from second hand and the owner said it was already 50h burn in).

I read on another thread that owners were recommending 100 hrs. I'm at 36. Bass has come in nicely but still experiencing what you've described, except I get it in vocals some too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back