Spanking new AKG K702 burn-in and bass
Feb 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #46 of 204
Oh no... were talking about these cans again?
deadhorse.gif

:: thin, sterile and incapable of producing organic sound smiley::

hmm, where'd that smiley go?

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pairing it with Cary 300SEI tube amp. There's not much bass to speak of as if everything below 60Hz is rolled off. Is this normal? How much time do I need to put on it to get some bass? Right now the tonal balance seems to emphasize the highs.

I remember when the K701 first came out, and all the recommendations were 300-400+ hours minimum for burn-in. Of course that first K701 thread started huge arguments over burn-in, some really interesting conversations from various people in the audio industry. Check it out if you can find that thread, I'm too lazy right now.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #48 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no... were talking about these cans again?
deadhorse.gif

:: thin, sterile and incapable of producing organic sound smiley::

hmm, where'd that smiley go?

similar ears so you may love the proline 750s
biggrin.gif

Just got the 701 and that is about the impressions I got. Note very first impression Private investigations with Dire straits. I don´t agree they are bass shy it´s just that there is no weight to the bass it does have good extension and enough volume so to speak. At least they are the same in every register so balanced that way. But it somehow feels weak. I am not putting the buttkicker in the equation just yet it will remedy that but will see what the headphones can do on their own. A bit screechy highs but it´s supposed to have that reading the information sheet??? but I do suspect these doesn´t have many hours of use so gonna burn them for some 1000 hours at least.

I do anyway see bigger potential in these then the markl modded D5000. However if I didn´t have the LFE to help them I would have less hope. There is just no drive in them otherwise.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #49 of 204
If you got that K701 from dononus (and thus from me, and thus from a previous german user), then I'm sorry but they have PLENTY of hours
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also be sure to compare the bass to the pro900's
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #50 of 204
Sigh... i was only objecting to statements like "they have no bass". That does not make me a fanboy. Yes, the K701s are a bit bass-shy with the equipment i have (portable amp) but the bass is there. When I am listening to hip-hop recordings with heavy bass for instance, the K701s dont really give me that deep extended bass response. For not so bass-heavy recordings, K701s are just wonderful. For me this is fine since my home rig more than compensates for any lack of bass on my portable rig. The Espeks literally shake the house.
basshead.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #51 of 204
bass is foul play
wink.gif
But as mentioned what it lacks is the sub woofer quality it does have pretty much the same extension for sure... But it´s like comparing speaker bass with dedicated subwoofer bass so not really much of a comparision. Not the reason I bought them it´s for the supposedly good treble. Takes a bit longer to judge that part correctly. I expected far worse from what I read about them. Sounds better and better the more my ears recalibrate. Will be interesting to see how my Pimeta amp compares with them later when getting more used to them... I do believe It´s the Canamp that gives it the bottom end it may need but will see.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #52 of 204
Well since we are all on the comparison tour:

I compare the K701 to some good bookshelf speakers, they do alot of good stuff, but the bass really rolls off. This is hearable and measurable.

And I'm glad oqvist hat after the long travel, this K701 has also found a loving home. Say hi to her from me, her name is Jessica btw.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #53 of 204
Ok Ill weigh in on this. The k701 is still one of my favorite headphones. Great comfort really wide 3d soundstage and excellent midrange detail, does accoustic and jazz and rock pretty good with proper amplification. But for bass heavy material they will never show that low end resonance difference between kick drum and low bass guitar like a bass heavy headphone like denon d5000.

Recently ive been evaluating different op amp vs hdams in ef1 amp with the denon headphone and there is so much detail and resolution in those lower registers that is quite simply lost with akg701.

But akg701 prestents the midrange so very well with different texture of strings and vocals so very detailed and accurate.

When I first got 701 before burn in, i actually found them bass heavy and lacking detail. burning them in opened up the soundstage and tightened up the lower end.

Adding a better amp gave them better impact and some extension but I do not believe they will ever get that impactful real bass drum sound that a closed phone provides.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #54 of 204
I am not sure I will love them but at least they don´t do things so blatantly wrong as the D5000 did that I know I can´t live with
smily_headphones1.gif
. So they will last more then 4 days for sure
wink.gif
I guess in a week I will have a better idea it all depends if they do classical or jazz better otherwise I see no point keeping them since it´s those genres they may have a shot at I dont see me using it in other genres either unless I just want to relax. I fell asleep on the first record I played on them never do that otherwise lol

As for soundstage yes this is the first that is really on par to the Ultrasones in term of soundstage and 3d positioning. Not surprising since colder sources and thinner sound generally do the detailing better and increases the soundstage. Bass you can´t hear where it´s coming from.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 204
oqvist, I truly hope you end up enjoying that sucker. I feel sorry for it being bashed by all its past users
biggrin.gif
But then again it has probably been enjoying its world tour from the EU to Asia and back.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #57 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some consider the K701 basslight, however I think they're about spot-on right amount of bass, even without an amp they don't sound terrible, but I do strongly suggest some form of decent amplification (be it a good receiver, integrated amp, headphone amplifier, etc)

and yes, the K701/2 are identical, sans for the removable cable on the K702, and color differences

I agree -- just the right amount of bass, tight and not boomy or loose. I love these cans out of my Corda Opera .

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #60 of 204
I like them.

I have come to appreciate the border trolls keeping a balance in discussions where the OP asks opinions about bass. They produce a picture that indicate the hp was designed without bass. Of course we all know that is wrong. It's not the message, it's the delivery. Intentional for reaction.

I do like oleblueyez tube help and willingness to help noobs. It's just our oleblueyez' way of delivery that endears him to us. I began reading from the beginning and after the first page, no blueyez. I thought he might have had some remorse on 701 buyers. Ha! Ignorant Pagans!

jk

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back