Spanking new AKG K702 burn-in and bass
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 204

babyoh

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pairing it with Cary 300SEI tube amp. There's not much bass to speak of as if everything below 60Hz is rolled off. Is this normal? How much time do I need to put on it to get some bass? Right now the tonal balance seems to emphasize the highs.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 204
My K701s took ~300 hours of burn-in to open up. Others at head-fi have had a similar experience. From these forums I learned that K702 drivers are the same as K701. But YMMV.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 204
Just got a set of 701's yesterday, finding the bass to be pretty non existing, is this the norm with these cans, will the bass eventually come, after burn in!! just running of a normal hi-fi amp just now, also finding them quite harsh when watching movies, compared to my cheaper phones, very disappointed so far, am I expecting to much?

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 204
These need lots of time to burn in and abnormal amounts of power. Out of a portable player or a soundcard, the bass will be seriously lacking...

You have the right idea with the Cary, give them three weeks and you should love them! I'm running my 701's on a transformer coupled tube amp and they're awesome!

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 204
hi there,

I also own the K701. Without the right amp, these cans can really lack bass, which can be ok for jazz or classical music.
Some amps fill that gap, heed canamp is often rated as a good amp for the K701 beacuse of its ability to deliver a lot of current and its warm signature.
I also successfully tried the K701 on my RSA predator, low gain (warmest one), the result was very nice too, surprising for such a small amp.

I NEVER want to sell these cans, because of the great mids, because of the soundstage etc...

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 204
some consider the K701 basslight, however I think they're about spot-on right amount of bass, even without an amp they don't sound terrible, but I do strongly suggest some form of decent amplification (be it a good receiver, integrated amp, headphone amplifier, etc)

and yes, the K701/2 are identical, sans for the removable cable on the K702, and color differences

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this kind of ignorant bashing has no place, and you should've probably just passed this thread by if you don't like the K701/2's presentation or sonics

have a good day

He wrote an interesting guide on how to increase the bass in the K701s. However, if the OP is looking for more bass than the cans already have, it's not going to just magically appear.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He wrote an interesting guide on how to increase the bass in the K701s. However, if the OP is looking for more bass than the cans already have, it's not going to just magically appear.

then why not link that guide, instead of being a prick?

the general feeling of the thread is that they won't magically give him DT770 sound, but they will improve with burn-in

thats far and away from "there will be no bass", which is basically trolling flamebait

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 204
Any K701/2 owner really should give them 300hrs before passing final judgement.

Running 10 hours a day for 5 days a week would still take 6 weeks to get that much break in time.

The bass is there. It's very tight and controlled and below 80hz is fairly attenuated.

The FR curve does not have an upper bass/lower midrange hump of many headphones making them seem bass light in comparison.

These are not bass-head phones by any means. They do need quality amplification to realize their potential, and I recommend anyone considering a K701/2 purchase include an investment in a quality amp in their plans.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Running 10 hours a day for 5 days a week would still take 6 weeks to get that much break in time.

The bass is there. It's very tight and controlled and below 80hz is fairly attenuated.

The FR curve does not have an upper bass/lower midrange hump of many headphones making them seem bass light in comparison.

These are not bass-head phones by any means. They do need quality amplification to realize their potential, and I recommend anyone considering a K701/2 purchase include an investment in a quality amp in their plans.

that is probably the best, shortest, "AKG K701/2 for dummies" guide I have ever read

two thumbs up

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 204
Right out of the box, The 702's were anything but "Bass Light". They can't match the bass of the Denon or Ultrasones, but still not bass light. One point that I've been told is that Relatively low impedence cans don't do well with a pure tube amps. I'm just burning in my Head-Direct EF-1 hybrid and my 702's are on thier way back from Colorado so I have had not time to evaluate the synergy between the two, so I still have yet to find out how the hybrid does with the 702's as well as my other cans. Although my new Ultrasone 900's really warm up to the EF-1

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's the best way to burn-in? Should I do it gently or crank them up a bit with demanding music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back