Southern California CAN MEET 10.18.08 - It's ON! -
Sep 6, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #76 of 210
I am in ... never been to one of these events. I have been listening to my Bottlehead SEX now for a year and think it sounds great. I would love to A/B it with some other rigs and see "where" it sits in the pile.

IN!!!! Send me a PM.

Bringing: iPod>home made LOD>Bottlehead SEX w/ 6DN7's>Senn 600 w/Cardas cable

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #78 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........Have you modded yours or is it stock kit form?

It is pretty close to stock ... I upgraded the parallel feed caps to Janzten Silver Z-caps ... other than that it is stock.

I have a few mods planned ... but can't afford the biggy ..... Iron and chock upgrade at out of reach.

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #81 of 210
DIY table! Please, I would love a DIY table. I am in the process of deciding my materials for my DIY RCA IC's. So some insight would be good.

100 posts Woot! Sorry, I'm just happy to be part of such a great community...

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #82 of 210
Hi, I have a few questions:
I've never been to a meet; are the people generally respectful with others' gear? Do you have to watch over your gear the whole time? I don't have much I could bring...at the very most I'd have Stax Lambda Signature with SRM-1/MKII Pro C amp, DT880, ATH-AD500, and pico w/DAC (although I'd guess justin will have this at the meet).
Also, which LAX hotel? I live right outside of LAX and there are a couple places that call themselves this or something similar. You mentioned it's about 2 miles out of LAX; is it the one just south of Westfield Shopping Center in Fox Hills (right where the 405 and 90 intersect)?
What are smaller meets generally like? About how much time do we get with a rig?
Answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #83 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the people generally respectful with others' gear?

yes

Quote:

Do you have to watch over your gear the whole time?

no

Quote:

I don't have much I could bring...at the very most I'd have Stax Lambda Signature with SRM-1/MKII Pro C amp, DT880, ATH-AD500, and pico w/DAC (although I'd guess justin will have this at the meet).

just bring what you have as it would give others an opportunity to hear your rig.

Quote:

Also, which LAX hotel?

i prefer keeping the actual hotel name and location out of the thread, though, potential advance ticket purchasers will know before they buy.

Quote:

is it the one just south of Westfield Shopping Center in Fox Hills (right where the 405 and 90 intersect)?

the hotel is immediately outside of LAX.

Quote:

What are smaller meets generally like?

a lot of fun with cool folks that share a common love for music, headphones and related gear.

Quote:

About how much time do we get with a rig?

there is no fixed limit -- most people spend a few minutes and some folks spend significantly longer or will hit up the same rig numerous times...

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #84 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed that would be way cool actually I would like to see if I could improve my horrid soldering skills.

I'll have to look through this thread later and add up the gear list.

For those that are interested in a DIY table and participating, please list also what DIY gear and supplies you can bring.

Here's what I have equipment wise so far:

Metcal SP200 Soldering Station
Metcal SP440 Desoldering Station
Keithley 2000 Multimeter (kind of overkill and pretty large, handy really if someone really wants to use kelvin leads and match resistors)
Fluke 110 portable DMM
Helping Hands (free standing and table clamped versions)
Flush cutters
Ideal Custom Stripmaster (sizes 16-26awg)
Erem flush cutters
Dewalt 14.4V 1/2" Battery powered drill
Various drill bits including stepped drill bits
Various screwdrivers.

I'd like to avoid bringing all of it, so if others have some that duplicate what I have, that would be great if they could bring it as well. And of course, any Vendor or Member that is having amp or other equipment malfunctions at the meet is more than welcome to borrow my stuff to help fix their stuff.

Parts:
PIMETA PCB (I might have two, I know I have at least one)
Various Resistors (not sure if I have a full matched set)
Various Capacitors (electrolytic and others)

Will have to look at my supply and see what else I have available, including if I still have a Hammond case still available. I might just part out an old PIMETA of mine and leave the inputs and outputs, so that all that is needed is to put in a finished PCB. Case work eats up quite a bit of time, so I'm not sure there would be enough time to do both PCB stuffing and case work during the meet.

-Ed

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #85 of 210
Thanks for the responses 909.
smily_headphones1.gif
I know where it is now...I'm so close I could probably jog there in a couple of minutes haha. I'll have to see what my schedule is like a bit closer to that date and then I'll post in here with whether or not I can go. One more question: would I need to bring a source? I don't have a laptop/turntable/cdp. Would it be fine if I only brought the HP's and amps? Thanks again.

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #86 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
............For those that are interested in a DIY table and participating, please list also what DIY gear and supplies you can bring...............

I could easily bring along my Weller WPCPT soldering station for people to practice with ...... Seems like the most asked question from newbies is .... "Is a Rat Shack pencil tip good enough"

Once you play with a quality station .. the answer is obvious. Best $100 I ever spent.

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #88 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY table?

Can I drop off my unfinished projects and let you guys finish them up?

Ha... nice try ... I would probably make backwards progress ... I slowly wade through DIY projects, I am no expert.

You bringing those RS-1's ?? I would love to try them on my Bottlehead amp.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #89 of 210
Sounds like this will be a blast!
Haven't been to a head-fi organized meet yet, but just got back to LA and looks like this will be the first (of many).
What kind of time frame are we looking at?

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #90 of 210
Quote:

would I need to bring a source?

no

Quote:

Would it be fine if I only brought the HP's and amps?

yes... but obviously you'd need to find someone willing to let you use their source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman9000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of time frame are we looking at?

we plan to start around 11 AM and go until about 6 PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back