Southeastern Michigan Spring Meet Hosted By Overture Audio, Ann Arbor, MI 3.14.15
Mar 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #77 of 104
Hey timkwhite-Valhalla 2 is arriving tomorrow. How does it sound out of the box?

That is fantastic. I honestly cannot remember what I thought of it out of the box but I did insert the tubes, plug it in and let it warm up (along with the Bifrost) for several hours before I plugged in my HP's to take a first listen. Not out of any conscious decision but rather necessity. I set it up and then the kids needed dinner, homework, a bath and bedtime. So being a dad let the tubes get nice and toasty before I put anything through them. I do recall that after about a week or two I really started to fall in love with the combo. Give it a listen tomorrow and then keep it turned on for a few days with some music being pumped through it and you should be all set. I am not a huge believer in large changes due to break in of equipment but I do believe that the sound will improve a little after a short time. I believe that most of the perceived break in is actually between our ears with 80% being us convincing ourselves there is a difference and the remaining 20% consisting of our perceptions changing and becoming accustomed to the new sound. Just my opinion of course.

Good luck and above all else, ENJOY!

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #79 of 104
Introducing...

KAYANDJOHN's BURN-IN SERVICE

Saving you from hearing crummy audio.

Long time in the making, even longer in the need, this Burn In Service begins by the buyer routing delivery of his/her audio system to OUR house instead of his.

We, rather than the purchaser, then USE the system, burning it in until we find that it has reached its own plateau of optimal performance.

If that plateau is sufficiently high to be deserved by the esteemed customer who bought the audio component, we send it to that customer.

If not, we keep the component, thereby sparing the customer screeching treble, muddy bass, or anything in between.

Example:

Suppose zabzaf (entirely fictional name) has just bought a Valhalla 2 (and you know that Schiit is made up!). zabzaf delivers his tube amp to us, where we descend upon it like a hoard of lepers to put it through its paces.  zabzaf is then free from listening to his amp in any but the best mature condition... like a teenager, he has delegated its growing pains to us.  If we think that it reaches a maturity deserving of the high standards of zabzaf, after a year or three, we send it back.  If not, we don't!

Please take a number for faster service, as this offer is sure to sell out!

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #80 of 104
  Introducing...

KAYANDJOHN's BURN-IN SERVICE

Saving you from hearing crummy audio.

Long time in the making, even longer in the need, this Burn In Service begins by the buyer routing delivery of his/her audio system to OUR house instead of his.

We, rather than the purchaser, then USE the system, burning it in until we find that it has reached its own plateau of optimal performance.

If that plateau is sufficiently high to be deserved by the esteemed customer who bought the audio component, we send it to that customer.

If not, we keep the component, thereby sparing the customer screeching treble, muddy bass, or anything in between.

Example:

Suppose zabzaf (entirely fictional name) has just bought a Valhalla 2 (and you know that Schiit is made up!). zabzaf delivers his tube amp to us, where we descend upon it like a hoard of lepers to put it through its paces.  zabzaf is then free from listening to his amp in any but the best mature condition... like a teenager, he has delegated its growing pains to us.  If we think that it reaches a maturity deserving of the high standards of zabzaf, after a year or three, we send it back.  If not, we don't!

Please take a number for faster service, as this offer is sure to sell out!

That sounds quite labour-intensive.  I presume there will be a considerable charge for such an expert service. 
Do you guarantee that the equipment will only be listened to by certified golden-ears using approved audiophile source material?
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #81 of 104

That sounds quite labour-intensive.  I presume there will be a considerable charge for such an expert service. 
Do you guarantee that the equipment will only be listened to by certified golden-ears using approved audiophile source material?
wink.gif

Indeed! Though it was a detail I didn't want to disclose, I can reveal that we will use our proprietary AHA (Automated Headphone Auditioner) system to perform the burn in.

Here it is....

Gradophiles among us will recognize the lady on the left as the same one appearing in the Grado ads prior to their introduction of the -e series last June.  Our auditioner, on the right, is a scientific copy whom we have named "Dolores."

Dolores was introduced at the ChiUniFi headphone meet last June in Chicago to wild acclaim:

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #82 of 104

wink.gif

As a Certified "Harman Trained Listener" & "Phillips - Golden Ears" member, I am proud to announce that through an exclusive partnership with KAYANDJOHN's BURN-IN SERVICE,  you can pay for a listening upgrade to guarantee that only certified Ears hear your gear in it's infancy stages, helping to mold it into the wonderful grown-up piece of equipment you always dreamed it and could become.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #83 of 104
  As a Certified "Harman Trained Listener" & "Phillips - Golden Ears" member, I am proud to announce that through an exclusive partnership with KAYANDJOHN's BURN-IN SERVICE,  you can pay for a listening upgrade to guarantee that only certified Ears hear your gear in it's infancy stages, helping to mold it into the wonderful grown-up piece of equipment you always dreamed it and could become.

I.
Am.
IMPRESSED!!

I have taken the Golden Ears tests and, to say the least, Didn't Get Very Far. 

Yes, AKGunkie, our Burn In Service is pleased to offer you a position as its Technical Director. You can be the Sean Olive of KAYANDJOHN'S BURN-IN SERVICE!

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #84 of 104

I.
Am.
IMPRESSED!!

I have taken the Golden Ears tests and, to say the least, Didn't Get Very Far. 

Yes, AKGunkie, our Burn In Service is pleased to offer you a position as its Technical Director. You can be the Sean Olive of KAYANDJOHN'S BURN-IN SERVICE!

I sure I'm not worthy of the Sean Olive comparison, but i look forward to our business partnership!

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #86 of 104

Sold. Shipment diverted. Please be on the lookout for it.

Entrepreneurship...find a need and fill it.

kayandjohn stand ready with open ears (and open palms, and open mouths, and open heads!)

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #87 of 104
Here's some Ann Arbor multi-media fare that's a bit different, but that's also good for headphones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICj6Tx0DL1I

This is a concert video, shot in HD of the local band Sumkali (local to Ann Arbor), recorded at The Ark in Ann Arbor, containing binaural audio. It's also even more Ann Arbor-centric in that I myself live in Ann Arbor, and engineered the binaural audio for this production.

There are no board feeds in this audio.

Here's hoping that you enjoy it...

Special thanks to The Ark, and to the very talented people at Michigan Music Monthly.

Mark (immersifi)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back