Southeastern Michigan Spring Meet Hosted By Overture Audio, Ann Arbor, MI 3.14.15
Mar 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #61 of 104
I'd be glad to advise from afar, and I am sure that zabzaf would too.

Steps, sort of in order, that I used, include:

1. Coordinate date and location with @zabzaf
     - he got these started and has been involved in the organization of all to date!
  2. Find at least one other nearby headphone person to help you;
  3. Find a location... get the necessary permissions and work with them to set the date, 6 months away or so (first one was at a light industrial business who let us come in on Saturday to their conference room; most recent one was hosted by an actual audio store - figure out and post how many total people and exhibit tables can be accommodated, up front - if a rental fee is required, prepare to charge people about 1/25th of it as an entry fee (e.g. Grand Valley State University charges for conference room rental); determine whether tables and chairs are available or require delivery (Overture Audio paid for 18 18" x 8 foot conference tables, and they provided about 25 chairs which if not provided would have been rented  - rental fee of tables (no chairs) with delivery was about $210)
  4. Ask zabzaf to start a thread, using the excellent set of rules that zabzaf used as the first post and inviting folks to say that they are coming and what, if anything, they are bringing in the way of gear (not required by any means, but need to know to arrange for space); state that a waiting list will be used when capacity is reached and ask folks to notify if they sign up and find they cannot come, then assign their slot to the next person on the waiting list;
  5. Keep updating running lists of 1) those attending (listing their gear if any) and 2) gear by manufacturer, listing who is bringing each item);
  6. Secure the rental of tables about 4 weeks in advance, if room doesn't come with them or host doesn't provide them
  7. If possible, try to get notable folks (e.g., jude, Lady GaGa), manufacturers (e.g., Moon Audio and Norquist), and give-away door prizes from manufacturers (e.g. NAD/PSB and HiFiMAN)
  8. Determine rules for any drawings (we used a random drawing of sign-in sheets 2/3 of the way into the meet duration, and you Need NOT be present to win);
  9. Decide how to handle food and drink... if not near eating facilities, you'll want to bring in food, but keep it separate from equipment (better to avoid food in my opinion)
  10. Make a master address list, preferably with each attender's avatar, and secure lanyards and clear plastic envelopes;
  11. Make "tent" name tags, perhaps also with avatars, for each exhibit table;
  12. Based on equipment, decide whether a person needs a full table or a 1/2 table... when you print table nametags, underline the ones that are needing a full table;
  13. Post a Google map of the area, labeling the location, nearby highway exits, and restaurants in walking distance if any... good if you can also post photos of what the front of the meet location and sign(s) of the restaurants look like as call-out boxes on the map;
  14. Get the room set up the day before.  Don't forget to provide electrical power and ask folks to bring plug strips.  Folks also appreciate internet access if they will be using Tidal or other streaming high-quality audio (not a lot of folks do, but some do... perhaps 4 or 5 of our group of 40).  If the tables are "battle worn," consider colored plastic sheeting (comes on a roll) or tablecloths;
  15. Set up a sign up table and have sign-in papers asking for name and address and email.  Use these for any prize drawing.
  16. Just before the meet, use the tent table name tags to assign space on the tables.
  17. Be there. For all of it.
  18. Arrange for at least one photographer;
  19. Afterward, clean up (ask for volunteers early, before folks are tired).
  20. That evening, start a separate impressions thread on the correct area (we did this right) and link to it as the last post of the signup thread.

See?  Simple!!

Happy to help remotely!

Well said, my friend! That is the roadmap.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #62 of 104
I'd be glad to advise from afar, and I am sure that zabzaf would too.

Steps, sort of in order, that I used, include:

1. Coordinate date and location with @zabzaf
     - he got these started and has been involved in the organization of all to date!
  2. Find at least one other nearby headphone person to help you;
  3. Find a location... get the necessary permissions and work with them to set the date, 6 months away or so (first one was at a light industrial business who let us come in on Saturday to their conference room; most recent one was hosted by an actual audio store - figure out and post how many total people and exhibit tables can be accommodated, up front - if a rental fee is required, prepare to charge people about 1/25th of it as an entry fee (e.g. Grand Valley State University charges for conference room rental); determine whether tables and chairs are available or require delivery (Overture Audio paid for 18 18" x 8 foot conference tables, and they provided about 25 chairs which if not provided would have been rented  - rental fee of tables (no chairs) with delivery was about $210)
  4. Ask zabzaf to start a thread, using the excellent set of rules that zabzaf used as the first post and inviting folks to say that they are coming and what, if anything, they are bringing in the way of gear (not required by any means, but need to know to arrange for space); state that a waiting list will be used when capacity is reached and ask folks to notify if they sign up and find they cannot come, then assign their slot to the next person on the waiting list;
  5. Keep updating running lists of 1) those attending (listing their gear if any) and 2) gear by manufacturer, listing who is bringing each item);
  6. Secure the rental of tables about 4 weeks in advance, if room doesn't come with them or host doesn't provide them
  7. If possible, try to get notable folks (e.g., jude, Lady GaGa), manufacturers (e.g., Moon Audio and Norquist), and give-away door prizes from manufacturers (e.g. NAD/PSB and HiFiMAN)
  8. Determine rules for any drawings (we used a random drawing of sign-in sheets 2/3 of the way into the meet duration, and you Need NOT be present to win);
  9. Decide how to handle food and drink... if not near eating facilities, you'll want to bring in food, but keep it separate from equipment (better to avoid food in my opinion)
  10. Make a master address list, preferably with each attender's avatar, and secure lanyards and clear plastic envelopes;
  11. Make "tent" name tags, perhaps also with avatars, for each exhibit table;
  12. Based on equipment, decide whether a person needs a full table or a 1/2 table... when you print table nametags, underline the ones that are needing a full table;
  13. Post a Google map of the area, labeling the location, nearby highway exits, and restaurants in walking distance if any... good if you can also post photos of what the front of the meet location and sign(s) of the restaurants look like as call-out boxes on the map;
  14. Get the room set up the day before.  Don't forget to provide electrical power and ask folks to bring plug strips.  Folks also appreciate internet access if they will be using Tidal or other streaming high-quality audio (not a lot of folks do, but some do... perhaps 4 or 5 of our group of 40).  If the tables are "battle worn," consider colored plastic sheeting (comes on a roll) or tablecloths;
  15. Set up a sign up table and have sign-in papers asking for name and address and email.  Use these for any prize drawing.
  16. Just before the meet, use the tent table name tags to assign space on the tables.
  17. Be there. For all of it.
  18. Arrange for at least one photographer;
  19. Afterward, clean up (ask for volunteers early, before folks are tired).
  20. That evening, start a separate impressions thread on the correct area (we did this right) and link to it as the last post of the signup thread.

See?  Simple!!

Happy to help remotely!

I think you guys forget that we held one at MSU that you weren't involved in
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646532/michigan-spring-meet-up-2013-april-20th-msu-kellogg

That one was a little more organic, and it seemed to go well.

If we have anyone in Lansing that could do the local arrangement with MSU, that is the main thing that requires a local person on site. A lot of the rest of this stuff could be handled by others. All of this work doesn't have to be born by one or two people. Haven't you guys ever heard of the "unconference" where you just need a rented space and the participants work to make it what it is?

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #63 of 104
Ok, so I finally have some time to put down my thoughts of the meetup this past Saturday. I will agree with everyone that has posted their comments prior to mine in that this was a fantastic meetup and if you missed it, you really, really need to try and make the next one. No where within 1000 miles can you sample such a variety of equipment and talk to those that love/loath said equipment. I tired everything from 40 dollar Koss Porta Pro’s to the Yggy/Rag stack and the ever so blissful Stax setup (with a vinyl source no less).

A very large thank you to Keyandjohn, zabzaf and the crew at Overture Audio. Not once did I over hear or experience a negative statement all day; and I was constantly wondering around trying to snap an acceptable pic throughout the whole day. Again, thank you!

Ok, now to the gear.

Favorite setup:
Strangely I will have to say it was NOT the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combination. The top of the line Schiit components were fantastic; no doubt about that. But what truly put a large, lasting smile on my face was the Por-Ject turntable to Stax SRM-1/Mk2 to Stax SR-404. That combination was just wonderful and had seemingly no limits what so ever that I could ascertain. Every record just seemed to get better and better and I just loved every minute with this setup. Someday I may have to look into a Stax system. Someday.

Notable Items:

The Yggdrasil and Ragnarok are just fantastic with just about anything that you can plug into them. I do believe that the quality of your source material will affect your end result and the Yggdrasil was resolving details in recordings that I have never or hardly ever heard previously. I listened to it with the Ragnarok, Bottle Head Crack and my Valhalla 2 and the result was the same every time; the detail this monster brings out is just heads and shoulders above most other equipment that I have experienced. I never did hook a pair of 800’s to the combo but my 650’s sang as well as the AKG’s and Audeze I sampled. Even the Porta Pro’s were simply fantastic, all things considered.

I finally got to listen to a Bottle Head Crack thanks to kirkor and I am very thankful that he was able to get it put together and to the meetup. I was specifically wondering if I was missing anything as compared to my Valhalla 2. So we hooked both up to my BiFrost and did a little A to B. In the end both krikor and I completely agreed that the BHC was very smooth with some added bass impact and less/smoother high’s. The V2 was more resolving with a fuller mid to upper end and less bass impact. I believe that both krikor and I have the proper amp to pair with our 650’s as we have slightly different wants/likes from our music. There is definitely more similarities between the two than differences, but the differences are definitely there and noticeable. Overall I still love, love, love my BiFrost and Vahalla 2 combo with my 650’s. Just a lovely combination for all day/night listening.

Most of the Audeze cans I tried sounded fantastic but fit like garbage (I hate their mass and how they fall off if you blink) with the exception of 1 pair, the new EL-8’s. These may be my next set of headphones. They were light, airy and sounded fantastic. As they are efficient and low resistance, they should sound pretty good out of just about anything but once again with my V2 I really liked what I was able to sample. Others stated that they preferred the open back but in that environment I was not able to discern a marked difference between the two. Was there a difference? Yes. Was it very subtle? Yes. I think if I get a pair I will get the closed back just to be slightly different. Besides, I think they will compliment my open back 650’s well. These were the cans I was most impressed with, other than the Stax setup.

Testing follow up:

When krikor and I hooked up the BHC to the Yggy and spun up some Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, both of us were a bit mystified by how much bass was present. And it really wasn’t a nice bass either, more like a thick, muddy, foggy type of bass. The kind of bass a 17 year old thinks is cool in his Honda Civic (that was me J). To see what was going on, we took the BHC and hooked it up to my BiFrost and compared the same song (not the same file though) and viola, it sounded like what I believe it should on both the V2 and BHC. So, back to the Yggy went the BHC and the V2 for a second run. Again, muddy, thick bass from both amps. SO we tried some White Stripes and man-o-man did that ever bring a smile to our faces. Just fantastic, thumpy, clear, fast music. Just the way Jack intended it to be. Another song or two and again, we were rewarded with details like never before. I am hoping that one of the items that Jason and company have been working on is a new DAC for the BiFrost to bring it up compared to the Modi 2 Uber and closer to the Yggy’s detail. That would make me open my wallet in a heartbeat. Just sayin’!

One more note: Jude is a genuinely personable guy and is willing to share just about anything with anyone. Throughout the meetup he was constantly facing a barrage of questions, to which he answered everyone as best he could. He brought along more than 10K worth of gear and shared any and all of it freely. At one point, he and I got into a discussion about photography and after about 10 minutes of talking offered to lend me a lens or two that he had if I ever wanted to try them out. Talk about a guy we should emulate. Thanks for everything that you do for our community Jude.

That is enough rambling from me tonight. Time for some peace and quiet while I listen to some Black Keys and sip on a glass of single malt.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #64 of 104
  Ok, so I finally have some time to put down my thoughts of the meetup this past Saturday. I will agree with everyone that has posted their comments prior to mine in that this was a fantastic meetup and if you missed it, you really, really need to try and make the next one. No where within 1000 miles can you sample such a variety of equipment and talk to those that love/loath said equipment. I tired everything from 40 dollar Koss Porta Pro’s to the Yggy/Rag stack and the ever so blissful Stax setup (with a vinyl source no less).

A very large thank you to Keyandjohn, zabzaf and the crew at Overture Audio. Not once did I over hear or experience a negative statement all day; and I was constantly wondering around trying to snap an acceptable pic throughout the whole day. Again, thank you!

Ok, now to the gear.

Favorite setup:
Strangely I will have to say it was NOT the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combination. The top of the line Schiit components were fantastic; no doubt about that. But what truly put a large, lasting smile on my face was the Por-Ject turntable to Stax SRM-1/Mk2 to Stax SR-404. That combination was just wonderful and had seemingly no limits what so ever that I could ascertain. Every record just seemed to get better and better and I just loved every minute with this setup. Someday I may have to look into a Stax system. Someday.

Notable Items:

The Yggdrasil and Ragnarok are just fantastic with just about anything that you can plug into them. I do believe that the quality of your source material will affect your end result and the Yggdrasil was resolving details in recordings that I have never or hardly ever heard previously. I listened to it with the Ragnarok, Bottle Head Crack and my Valhalla 2 and the result was the same every time; the detail this monster brings out is just heads and shoulders above most other equipment that I have experienced. I never did hook a pair of 800’s to the combo but my 650’s sang as well as the AKG’s and Audeze I sampled. Even the Porta Pro’s were simply fantastic, all things considered.

I finally got to listen to a Bottle Head Crack thanks to kirkor and I am very thankful that he was able to get it put together and to the meetup. I was specifically wondering if I was missing anything as compared to my Valhalla 2. So we hooked both up to my BiFrost and did a little A to B. In the end both krikor and I completely agreed that the BHC was very smooth with some added bass impact and less/smoother high’s. The V2 was more resolving with a fuller mid to upper end and less bass impact. I believe that both krikor and I have the proper amp to pair with our 650’s as we have slightly different wants/likes from our music. There is definitely more similarities between the two than differences, but the differences are definitely there and noticeable. Overall I still love, love, love my BiFrost and Vahalla 2 combo with my 650’s. Just a lovely combination for all day/night listening.

Most of the Audeze cans I tried sounded fantastic but fit like garbage (I hate their mass and how they fall off if you blink) with the exception of 1 pair, the new EL-8’s. These may be my next set of headphones. They were light, airy and sounded fantastic. As they are efficient and low resistance, they should sound pretty good out of just about anything but once again with my V2 I really liked what I was able to sample. Others stated that they preferred the open back but in that environment I was not able to discern a marked difference between the two. Was there a difference? Yes. Was it very subtle? Yes. I think if I get a pair I will get the closed back just to be slightly different. Besides, I think they will compliment my open back 650’s well. These were the cans I was most impressed with, other than the Stax setup.

Testing follow up:

When krikor and I hooked up the BHC to the Yggy and spun up some Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, both of us were a bit mystified by how much bass was present. And it really wasn’t a nice bass either, more like a thick, muddy, foggy type of bass. The kind of bass a 17 year old thinks is cool in his Honda Civic (that was me J). To see what was going on, we took the BHC and hooked it up to my BiFrost and compared the same song (not the same file though) and viola, it sounded like what I believe it should on both the V2 and BHC. So, back to the Yggy went the BHC and the V2 for a second run. Again, muddy, thick bass from both amps. SO we tried some White Stripes and man-o-man did that ever bring a smile to our faces. Just fantastic, thumpy, clear, fast music. Just the way Jack intended it to be. Another song or two and again, we were rewarded with details like never before. I am hoping that one of the items that Jason and company have been working on is a new DAC for the BiFrost to bring it up compared to the Modi 2 Uber and closer to the Yggy’s detail. That would make me open my wallet in a heartbeat. Just sayin’!

One more note: Jude is a genuinely personable guy and is willing to share just about anything with anyone. Throughout the meetup he was constantly facing a barrage of questions, to which he answered everyone as best he could. He brought along more than 10K worth of gear and shared any and all of it freely. At one point, he and I got into a discussion about photography and after about 10 minutes of talking offered to lend me a lens or two that he had if I ever wanted to try them out. Talk about a guy we should emulate. Thanks for everything that you do for our community Jude.

That is enough rambling from me tonight. Time for some peace and quiet while I listen to some Black Keys and sip on a glass of single malt.

Nice impressions...and it was nice to catch up. I wish I would have been there for the BHC vs. V2 comparison. I have V2 coming this Saturday and can't wait to use it with my HD 800s. In case anyone is wondering, here's why I left early:

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #65 of 104

Nice impressions...and it was nice to catch up. I wish I would have been there for the BHC vs. V2 comparison. I have V2 coming this Saturday and can't wait to use it with my HD 800s. In case anyone is wondering, here's why I left early:

A MUCH more important moment to be sure. Can't wait to see how you like the V2 once you get it home with some time on it.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #66 of 104
I think you guys forget that we held one at MSU that you weren't involved in
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646532/michigan-spring-meet-up-2013-april-20th-msu-kellogg

That one was a little more organic, and it seemed to go well.

If we have anyone in Lansing that could do the local arrangement with MSU, that is the main thing that requires a local person on site. A lot of the rest of this stuff could be handled by others. All of this work doesn't have to be born by one or two people. Haven't you guys ever heard of the "unconference" where you just need a rented space and the participants work to make it what it is?

Yeah but I bet you forgot to invite Lady Gaga (see Step 7)!  She told me that she was soooo disappointed to not be there!

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #67 of 104
First, I want to thank zabzaf and John for arranging the meet, Overture Audio for hosting, and Jude for bringing some cutting-edge gear from his sponsors. I appreciated the personal name and seat tags. What a classy meet!

John, it was a pleasure to see you again. Thanks much for being so welcoming to my special lady. She really enjoyed your custom HD800 set up.

cel, I’m so glad we finally got to meet in person. Maybe the next meet will be in Grand Rapids? More beef jerky!

Casper, I just love the creativity and perfection you bring to your DIY projects. They’re a real asset to the community.

A bad photo of my rig: Marantz CD6005, Beresford Caiman II, Meier Corda Classic, Paradox

Now for some impressions in approximate order of enjoyment . . .

K1000

The sonic high point of the meet for me was hearing Tom’s K1k off of the Rag’s speaker taps. At first, it felt pretty uncomfortable--pinching the temples--but that sensation soon all but went away. K1k is a monster!! An overpowering phone. It’s soundstage is bigger than anything I’ve tried, though it’s imaging isn’t especially precise. Whilst it certainly lacks lows (this was the bass heavy version), it didn’t sound bright. I really enjoyed it, but it should be noted that bass isn’t such a priority to me.

Abyss

I agree with those who say that the Abyss has the most speaker-like bass. It’s also probably the most solid-feeling headphone. The speaker-like quality does extend higher and makes it an involving listen. Unfortunately for me, either it’s so big (or my head’s so small) that I had to hold it in place the whole time. So it wouldn’t be a practical choice for me. Its lack of flexible fit will be a problem for some.

ZMF Headphones

Zach’s gear sounded great on his Decware amp. The combo really brings planars to life. It highlights the strengths of the smooth ZMF house sound by taking full advantage of the soundstage. The Blackwood remains my favorite for its resolution and organic lows. Others have gone into much greater depth here.

Donscorpio Dolphin (cel mod)

This little mystery turns out to be an inexpensive, neutralish headphone with surprisingly pleasant imaging. It also gets points for being fully circumaural, albeit with some light clamping. Build quality is solid, though by no means luxurious. Considering its sound at this price, this headphone deserves to be better-known.

Valhalla 2

A clear-sounding and fairly resolving tube amp. If that’s your preference, I say go for it; I generally prefer a more full-bodied, smooth tube sound like the WA6SE. But synergy with the particular headphone should play the largest role in that decision: you don’t want to diminish something super-resolving such as HD800 with a tubey amp, but my K340 needs precisely that effect.  

GR07

This IEM is on the bright side tonally but I didn’t immediately detect very strong spikes as one does, for example, with some Grados. That keeps it within the neutral range, though I can tell I would find it fatiguing over time without minor mods. It sounds noticeably faster than average, which many will find appealing. Bass is tight enough, but treble has some vagueness and softness. Build quality, frequently a problem for in ears, definitely inspires confidence.

EL8 (open & closed)

The open version is a refreshing departure for Audeze. I liked the greater forwardness and improved treble response. The closed version is markedly less impressive. It’s a very dark-sounding, muffled can. Both are fully circumaural and build quality is quite solid. But they’re still on the heavy side and the earpads are a real let-down given how good LCD pads are.

TH500RP

This has a much too prominent treble, probably because the low range is absent. The soundstage is a considerable improvement over the stock T50RP it’s based on, but I prefer the rolled off top end of the cheap stock version. It’s also mildly uncomfortable because Fostex decided to use quite narrow earpads. I know people were expecting good things given their accomplishment with TH900 . . . sorry. 
redface.gif

PM3

PM3 gets into Charlie Foxtrot territory. Although the treble is an improvement over PM1 and PM2--not much of a feat--it lacks what makes PM1 attractive: the glow it imparts to sometimes harsh sounds and its halfway decent resolution of background noises. If that’s your benchmark for the Oppo house sound, you’ll be disappointed. Soundstage? What soundstage? It has no depth whatsoever and is extremely closed. It’s also uncomfortable, pressing against directly against every part of the ear with strong clamping. If you want a closed planar at around this price, I strongly recommend the basic ZMF or Paradox instead.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #68 of 104
  First, I want to thank zabzaf and John for arranging the meet, Overture Audio for hosting, and Jude for bringing some cutting-edge gear from his sponsors. I appreciated the personal name and seat tags. What a classy meet!

John, it was a pleasure to see you again. Thanks much for being so welcoming to my special lady. She really enjoyed your custom HD800 set up.

cel, I’m so glad we finally got to meet in person. Maybe the next meet will be in Grand Rapids? More beef jerky!

Casper, I just love the creativity and perfection you bring to your DIY projects. They’re a real asset to the community.

Claritas, thanks SOOO much for making the drive, making a weekend of it, and vacationing in Ann Arbor.  It was wonderful to see you again.

For others, Claritas was a key element of my first headphone meet, ChiUniFi in Chicago last June.  He has advised me on the various versions of Grado headphones, pieces of music that sound great on Grados, and general headphone advice.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #69 of 104
My Stuff, packed:

My Stuff, Unpacked:

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #70 of 104
  Anyone find 2 stray tubes at Overture Audio?  Missing.

@krikor  describes them as follows:

Please let him know if you have any clues, e.g. even seeing two such boxes.

Thanks so much!

MY BAD!!

Please ignore the above post (kayandjohn, feel free to delete).

For safe keeping, I stuffed the errant tubes into a "secret" compartment of the camera bag I use to carry my AKG K7XX... so secret I forgot it was there 
redface.gif
 blush. Just found them as I was unpacking the K7XX for a listen at work.

Thanks, you may now return to the previously scheduled program.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #72 of 104
Claritas, thanks SOOO much for making the drive, making a weekend of it, and vacationing in Ann Arbor.  It was wonderful to see you again.

For others, Claritas was a key element of my first headphone meet, ChiUniFi in Chicago last June.  He has advised me on the various versions of Grado headphones, pieces of music that sound great on Grados, and general headphone advice.

I was so glad you came to Chiunifi. Of course I'd come out to see you!

We had fun in Ann Arbor. I enjoyed Encore Records on Liberty St. It has a nice selection of used CDs (including classical and jazz); I wish Chicago had a store like that. And the vanilla cream hamantaschen at Zingerman's beat everything I grew up with--which is saying something.

Yeah, I'm fond of several Grados. Guilty as charged. :D In some genres--organ, metal--I do like treble crisp as bacon. :p For what it's worth, your PS1k sounds better than PS1ke and is much more comfortable too.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #73 of 104
Looks like you guys had an awesome meet. I wish I could have been there and caught up with some old friends. I lived in Ann Arbor for 8 years and bought a lot of stuff from Keith at Overture Audio back in those days. Good to see Overture Audio is still around. Keith was a great guy with deal with.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #75 of 104

When krikor and I hooked up the BHC to the Yggy and spun up some Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, both of us were a bit mystified by how much bass was present. And it really wasn’t a nice bass either, more like a thick, muddy, foggy type of bass. The kind of bass a 17 year old thinks is cool in his Honda Civic (that was me J). To see what was going on, we took the BHC and hooked it up to my BiFrost and compared the same song (not the same file though) and viola, it sounded like what I believe it should on both the V2 and BHC. So, back to the Yggy went the BHC and the V2 for a second run. Again, muddy, thick bass from both amps. SO we tried some White Stripes and man-o-man did that ever bring a smile to our faces. Just fantastic, thumpy, clear, fast music. Just the way Jack intended it to be. Another song or two and again, we were rewarded with details like never before.

Yeah, the sound on "Another Brick in the Wall" had me scratching my head as well. I'm wondering if it was really an issue with the particular version of that track that blitzxgene had in his playlist - the ultimate source of that track was unclear. Unfortunately, I didn't have another version to test, but the Yggdrasil sounded absolutely excellent with all of the other tracks I put through it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back