Southeastern Michigan Spring Meet Hosted By Overture Audio, Ann Arbor, MI 3.14.15
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #46 of 104
Mr. Zabzaf,

I have seen Community Colleges host a wide range of Amateur meets covering Quilting, Vintage Radio, Ham Radio, etc.  These Community schools have always seemed receptive to doing things for Citizen hobby people, even model Airplanes & Model Trains people.  Selling & Swapping seems part of all these events, some small entrance fees can be collected, scads of Square Footage, Banquet display tables available, tons of parking, wide doors for easy entrance, hand carts welcome, landmark locations easy to find, signage allowed.   

Tony in Michigan

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #47 of 104
Yes, Mr. err Kaz. You are correct.

I have the local community colleges on my radar as well. More to come as I continue to contact them.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #48 of 104

Originally Posted by kayandjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Premium gear shown included:

1. Abyss AB-1266 headphone with Moon Audio amp (Overture Audio)
  2. Schiit Yggdrasil amp (jude)
  3. Philips Lightening headphones (jude)
  4. Astell & Kern / Beyerdynamic AKT5p (jude)
  5. and many others, which I hope you will list.

Just a correction here, I think that the Schiit Yggdrasil is their new bitperfect DAC, not an amp. Their new Ragnarok is an amp, though 
L3000.gif

I am soooo jealous!!!!!
Literally EVERYTHING I want to try was there, from the EL-8 to the Abyss to Grados to the Geekpulse to the Chord Hugo to some Fidelio headphones to the PSU headphones and even the lowly Koss PortaPro.
Sigh....
i guess you can't get em all
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #50 of 104
I had an awesome time at Saturday's meet! Thanks to @zabzaf and @kayandjohn for organizing the meet, and to @a2keith and the rest of the Overture Audio crew for being such gracious hosts.

It all went by too quickly. It was great seeing old friends, and meeting new ones. I didn't get to listen to a lot of gear, but I did get to chat with a lot of cool people. Thanks, guys, for all the interesting conversation, debate, and laughs.

I think I may have made some new friends to race at Kart2Kart with, too. 
biggrin.gif

As a little aside, I've known Keith since I was a teenager. I was a college student working part-time at a high-end hi-fi store. I was a salesman at one of two store locations, and Keith was the manager of the other location. After the stores were bought, Keith opened up Overture Audio.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #51 of 104
Hi All-

My preliminary thoughts are to keep the meet in Southeastern Michigan. I suppose that Lansing would be stretching that boundary a bit. Honestly, to organize it effectively and still be able to do my day job and tend to family needs, it needs to be close to where I live. Luckily, John lives in A2 and Overture is as well.

I'm currently vetting out locations that will hold the number of people I expect (40ish), are easy to get to (near freeways), and cost-effective. With a group this size, we are in the territory of room rentals. I have a beat on a location in Warren that I have a connection with that would be low cost ($5 each to cover the room), they have plenty of tables and elbow room, AND they have a cash bar!

So, once I get some dates from my wife (she ultimately decides when this is) I'll get a thread going. For what it's worth, I'm shooting for Sept. 12 or 19.

More to come!
just a thought, if there is enough demand to have a west side show then maybe someone else can take that task on. This takes the stress off you, and it also allows michigan to have twice as many meets.
I'm personally in ann arbor so its not for me, but if these become popular enough why not do as many as possible. I can really see these things growing over the next few years. To prevent over-populating the event my first thought is doing 3 or 4 a year instead of 1 or 2. 2 could be the metro detriot area then another 2 in the grand rapids area for example.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #55 of 104

I second that notion, west side always gets left out... I bet we could double the attendance of the east side!

just a thought, if there is enough demand to have a west side show then maybe someone else can take that task on. This takes the stress off you, and it also allows michigan to have twice as many meets.
I'm personally in ann arbor so its not for me, but if these become popular enough why not do as many as possible. I can really see these things growing over the next few years. To prevent over-populating the event my first thought is doing 3 or 4 a year instead of 1 or 2. 2 could be the metro detriot area then another 2 in the grand rapids area for example.

I would love mid state or West side meet.

Sounds like we have a committee for a western/central MI meet! What's the date and location? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #57 of 104
Just to note that there's a reason why Lansing is the capital due to it's geographical location: it's somewhat central to the main part of the state. :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #59 of 104
I would be willing to help set up a west side meet. I just have no idea how to go about doing it.

I'd be glad to advise from afar, and I am sure that zabzaf would too.

Steps, sort of in order, that I used, include:

• Coordinate date and location with @zabzaf - he got these started and has been involved in the organization of all to date!
  • Find at least one other nearby headphone person to help you;
  • Find a location... get the necessary permissions and work with them to set the date, 6 months away or so (first one was at a light industrial business who let us come in on Saturday to their conference room; most recent one was hosted by an actual audio store - figure out and post how many total people and exhibit tables can be accommodated, up front - if a rental fee is required, prepare to charge people about 1/25th of it as an entry fee (e.g. Grand Valley State University charges for conference room rental); determine whether tables and chairs are available or require delivery (Overture Audio paid for 18 18" x 8 foot conference tables, and they provided about 25 chairs which if not provided would have been rented  - rental fee of tables (no chairs) with delivery was about $210)
  • Ask zabzaf to start a thread, using the excellent set of rules that zabzaf used as the first post and inviting folks to say that they are coming and what, if anything, they are bringing in the way of gear (not required by any means, but need to know to arrange for space); state that a waiting list will be used when capacity is reached and ask folks to notify if they sign up and find they cannot come, then assign their slot to the next person on the waiting list;
  • Keep updating running lists of 1) those attending (listing their gear if any) and 2) gear by manufacturer, listing who is bringing each item);
  • Secure the rental of tables about 4 weeks in advance, if room doesn't come with them or host doesn't provide them
  • If possible, try to get notable folks (e.g., jude, Lady GaGa), manufacturers (e.g., Moon Audio and Norquist), and give-away door prizes from manufacturers (e.g. NAD/PSB and HiFiMAN)
  • Determine rules for any drawings (we used a random drawing of sign-in sheets 2/3 of the way into the meet duration, and you Need NOT be present to win);
  • Decide how to handle food and drink... if not near eating facilities, you'll want to bring in food, but keep it separate from equipment (better to avoid food in my opinion)
  • Make a master address list, preferably with each attender's avatar, and secure lanyards and clear plastic envelopes;
  • Make "tent" name tags, perhaps also with avatars, for each exhibit table;
  • Based on equipment, decide whether a person needs a full table or a 1/2 table... when you print table nametags, underline the ones that are needing a full table;
  • Post a Google map of the area, labeling the location, nearby highway exits, and restaurants in walking distance if any... good if you can also post photos of what the front of the meet location and sign(s) of the restaurants look like as call-out boxes on the map;
  • Get the room set up the day before.  Don't forget to provide electrical power and ask folks to bring plug strips.  Folks also appreciate internet access if they will be using Tidal or other streaming high-quality audio (not a lot of folks do, but some do... perhaps 4 or 5 of our group of 40).  If the tables are "battle worn," consider colored plastic sheeting (comes on a roll) or tablecloths;
  • Set up a sign up table and have sign-in papers asking for name and address and email.  Use these for any prize drawing.
  • Just before the meet, use the tent table name tags to assign space on the tables.
  • Be there. For all of it.
  • Arrange for at least one photographer;
  • Afterward, clean up (ask for volunteers early, before folks are tired).
  • That evening, start a separate impressions thread on the correct area (we did this right) and link to it as the last post of the signup thread.

See?  Simple!!

Happy to help remotely!

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #60 of 104
I'd be glad to advise from afar, and I am sure that zabzaf would too.

Steps, sort of in order, include:

1. Coordinate date and location with @zabzaf
     - he got these started and has been involved in the organization of all to date!
  2. Find at least one other nearby headphone person to help you;
  3. Find a location... get the necessary permissions and work with them to set the date, 6 months away or so (first one was at a light industrial business who let us come in on Saturday to their conference room; most recent one was hosted by an actual audio store - figure out and post how many total people and exhibit tables can be accommodated, up front - if a rental fee is required, prepare to charge people about 1/25th of it as an entry fee (e.g. Grand Valley State University charges for conference room rental);  a;sp fomd pit of cpmfermec erpp, tables and chairs are available or require delivery (Overture Audio paid for 18 18" x 8 foot conference tables, and they provided about 25 chairs which if not provided would have been rented  - rental fee of tables (no chairs) with delivery was about $210)
  4. Start a thread, using the excellent set of rules that zabzaf used as the first post and inviting folks to say that they are coming and what, if anything, they are bringing in the way of gear (not required by any means, but need to know to arrange for space); state that a waiting list will be used when capacity is reached and ask folks to notify if they sign up and find they cannot come, then assign their slot to the next person on the waiting list;
  5. Keep updating running lists of 1) those attending (listing their gear if any) and 2) gear by manufacturer, listing who is bringing each item);
  6. Secure the rental of tables about 4 weeks in advance, if room doesn't come with them or host doesn't provide them
  7. If possible, try to get notable folks (e.g., jude), manufacturers (e.g., Moon Audio and Norquist), and give-away door prizes from manufacturers (e.g. NAD/PSB and HiFiMAN)
  8. Decide how to handle food and drink... if not near eating facilities, you'll want to bring in food, but keep it separate from equipment (better to avoid food in my opinion)
  9. Make a master address list, preferably with each attender's avatar, and secure lanyards and clear plastic envelopes;
  10. Make "tent" name tags, perhaps also with avatars, for each exhibit table;
  11. Based on equipment, decide whether a person needs a full table or a 1/2 table... when you print table nametags, underline the ones that are needing a full table;
  12. Get the room set up the day before.  Don't forget to provide electrical power and ask folks to bring plug strips.  Folks also appreciate internet access if they will be using Tidal or other streaming high-quality audio (not a lot of folks do, but some do... perhaps 4 or 5 of our group of 40).  If the tables are "battle worn," consider colored plastic sheeting (comes on a roll) or tablecloths;
  13. Set up a sign up table and have sign-in papers asking for name and address and email.  Use these for any prize drawing.
  14. Just before the meet, use the tent table name tags to assign space on the tables.
  15. Be there. For all of it.
  16. Arrange for at least one photographer;
  17. Afterward, clean up (ask for volunteers early, before folks are tired).
  18. That evening, start a separate impressions thread on the correct area (we did this right) and link to it as the last post of the signup thread.

See?  Simple!!

Happy to help remotely!

Ok, well that's a bit much for me alone! I would definitely need the help of someone experienced with this type of setup. I have put on shows for my business at the MPA in Grand Rapids, but That was just one booth. Definitely not a position that involves that much organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back