South Florida Headphone Faithful
May 4, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 126
I'm in the Cayman Islands but could easily make it up for a meet anywhere in Florida. The problem for me is figuring out how best to get my gear back into Cayman when I return without being hit with a 20% import duty AGAIN!!! I think there is a way to "check out" your goodies as you leave the Island so that Customs will be expecting you to return with those same items which will be exempt. It's just that I'm not sure 1) that I would want to chance it with the luggage being bounced around and possibly stolen in Miami and 2) how I can possibly explain to Customs why in the world one person would have so many blasted headphones and headphone amps!!!

I'm thinking about attending the (hopefully) upcoming Kansas City meet too, but that would involve a change of planes which makes it even more scary in terms of the luggage.

Maybe I should host a meet in Cayman?

May 30, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 126
I'm in Tampa and I (will soon) have Stax SR-404 earspeakers with a Kevin Gilmore Solid State Electrostatic Amp, amongst other things.

Regards,
Matt

Jun 19, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 126
I'm in the Orlando area also. I'm interested if we get enough interesting equipment.

Jun 19, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 126
...we've got enough decent equiptment (not including most sources):

tanfenton: Grado SR-225/ Gilmore KGCA

Sewer Guy: Sennheiser 280/possibly 600's and a home-made amp

rgame666: HD-600/HD-545 and X-CanV2 + X-PSU

screwdriver: Grado HP-1 w/Melos SHA-1

mikeg: Grado SR325, AKG K1000, Sony MDR-F1, Sennheiser HD600, Etymotic ER-4P/S (which I don't think Mike would want anyone else sticking in their ears!) w/ ASL AQ-1005DT with TJ mesh 300B gold tubes, ASL Passive TI Preamplifier, Grado RA-1, Sony DP-IF5100, pair of ASl Wave monos...etc. (He has it all, but I think he is taking a break from hi-fi for a while...)

itza2mer: CD-3000's, etc.

venzuel: Meta42, etc.

matt: Stax SR-404, Kevin Gilmore electrostatic amp, Music Hall MMF-5

khollister: Rega Planet CD transport, etc.

Etc...left some stuff out, tired of typing!

There are people in Orlando and people in the islands and people in Miami...maybe we should do it in some mid-point area...anyone live in any of these cities:

Port Charlotte or Cape Coral (west coast)? Fort Meyers?

(I know Mikeg lives in Sarasota, which is sort of a west-coast mid-point...and he's a really nice guy)

West Palm Beach area (east coast)?

I personally don't want to go all the way to Miami, as I would have to drive with all my gear...too damned fatiguing. How about meeting mid-way?

Any other suggestions?

- Matt

Jun 20, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 126
You all suddenly come out, and I'm nowhere in Florida! And just read over that gear... Awww! It's enough to make me weep.

Unfortunately (but fortunately in certain ways), I'll be finishing the year in North Carolina. If I were on the peninsula, I'd jump at the idea of a West Palm Beach shindig. Maybe next year?

Go right ahead. I'll be reading from the mountains. =)

NGF

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 126
Hi Guys:I haven't been on line lately due to quite a few out of town trips for my company. My wife & I are in the process of putting our house in the Orlando area on the market & moving to a home in Leesburg.

It will be the end of August before I'll be able to attend a meet.
I look forward to getting together with most of you in the Fla. area. In the early fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back