Source upgrade
Jun 25, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #61 of 113
I no I was just looking at the add and saw it didn't have a "T" I thought it might just be a typo. Is there I difference?

Jun 25, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #62 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Wait.

Were there any issues with the non-T version? Didn't Arcam move to a Sony transport with the T? This should be researched. My comments are based on the T model. Vert should know.

Watchu talkin bout willis
blink.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #63 of 113
What I say is only popular rumor from Audio Asylum. But supposedly the only reason why the T version came into being is because Arcam ran out of the original transports that were used in the CD23. Since they were going to shuffle around with the internals, they also decided to redesign the motherboard and simplify it. They also upgraded the HDCD chip to the latest 200 version, and made some changes to the output section. The T version can be in all instances considered better than the original CD23 due to these changes.

Interesting side note...the incoming CD33 supposedly won't have HDCD support.

Jun 25, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #66 of 113
Truth be told...I don't even care about HDCD. I lost my respect for HDCD when I started seeing average pop CDs light up that HDCD light. Whether or not the source itself sounds better with redbook is a much larger issue than whether something carries an HDCD or SACD or DVD-A badge to me. The extra formats are a bonus to me, not a requirement.

Jun 26, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #69 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Sometimes too me HDCD sounds no better than regular redbook.

With the older 100 series chip, that may be, but with the release of the 200 series the difference was much more pronounced.

Do a search on PCM200 and look for an article where the guy compared the two and says how much better the 200 series chip is.

Jun 27, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #75 of 113
I've got a heavily modified CD25 and it is very nice. The shanling can be modified also and would probably be even better. The shanling can be used either tube or Solid state. If it was me, and I was chosing between these two I would get the shanling and have it modified somewhere down the road by www.underwoodhifi.com The two players are probably very close in quality of sound now, but the Shanling can be made better later. These are just my opinions. If your going to spend this much money why not go for the Audio Research CD2 that screwdriver found for you earlier in this thread. I've heard them and they are far superior to these two players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back