Source upgrade
Jun 25, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #17 of 113
Quote:

I don't think a new power supply will help when my house has 500 trillion electrical devices running all at once.

Maybe that's part of the problem
wink.gif

Seriously, read up on the standard mods for the ART DI/O, among which include upgrading the PS.

In general, I think you are not focused enough to decide how to intelligently spend $1300. Not that you are not intelligent, but you seem like you are looking for one component to fix all of your audio desires - whether it be a headphone, a source, amp, whatever - and frankly it ain't gonna happen. That's why I posted my recommendations.

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #19 of 113
Quote:

I have had the Denon for over a year...I want to try something else.

Oh, now I get it. You're bored. Hope you have deep pockets. Quote:

i'm not sure a DAC is my audio answer. I would rather take my chances with a new source.

I don't really want to belabor a point that you clearly are not prepared to listen to, but...

What is it, exactly, that a completely new source will do for you? Do you not realize that the DAC is one of the main determinants of the sound coming from a source. With an external DAC on your existing Denon as a transport, you would, essentially, have a new source (audibly anyway).

I'm out
confused.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 113
Quote:

How much for a decent DAC?

For $96 plus some cables, you'd be extremely surprised what the DI/O could do for you:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=38066

Maybe you could PM andrzejpw and ask him what he thinks of the one he borrowed before buying one of his own.

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
How much for a decent DAC?

Channel Islands Audio

VDA-1 + VAC-1 = $508.00

TravelLite

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #23 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
My point of reference was my Arcam CD72t. The Arcam was extremely sharp with bass to die for.

What he said
biggrin.gif
I got an Arcam this afternoon and the Revo and my entire lossless collection is GONE. It was really a no contest, where the Music Hall and Revo were equals and not terribly exciting, the Arcam is a real joy. Hate to use the word but its a real fun player, its prat and musicality really come through.

So for me the Arcam is better than the Sony DVP-S7000, Marantz CD65SE, Classe CDP.5, Anthem CD1, Adcom GDA-700, Rotel RCD-991, Adcom GDD-1, Music Hall CD25, Sony CX335, Live! and finally the Revo, hehe
wink.gif
Oh forgot about the Aragon D2A2
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I wasn't too impressed with the redbook of my 555ES. My point of reference was my Arcam CD72t. My solution was to go with an outboard DAC (a Bel Canto DAC2). I felt the redbook of the 555 was a bit lifeless, with little dynamics. Whereas the Arcam was extremely sharp with bass to die for.

This is pretty much agreed upon - the stock 555es for redbook is nothing to write home about. However, there has been nothing but the best of praise for the modded 555es in both redbook and SACD.

-dd3mon

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #27 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
This is pretty much agreed upon - the stock 555es for redbook is nothing to write home about. However, there has been nothing but the best of praise for the modded 555es in both redbook and SACD.

-dd3mon

Hmmmm. Then mayby I should think about putting a DAC on my Denon. Because I don't have the money for the mod right now. What would be the point of buying the 555es when it is only average for redbook and I don't have money for the mod? Jpelg is making alot of sense. Thanks jpelg
600smile.gif

I owe you one.

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #28 of 113
Quote:

It was really a no contest, where the Music Hall and Revo were equals and not terribly exciting, the Arcam is a real joy. Hate to use the word but its a real fun player, its prat and musicality really come through.

I actually prefer the Music Hall to the Arcam CD72T. In my system, the Arcam was a little too harsh and not as musical as the Music Hall.

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #29 of 113
Audio Note 2.1--its a little above your budget but you can save up. I haven't heard it but I want one. Unless, of course, you like the thin dry Sony sound.

I wouldn't mess with DACs. You need a better transport or a player with a better transport/ power supply.

Edit: You can get a Jolida for a great price over at AudioKarma.

Jun 25, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 113
Venus Hi-Fi in Indiana has a demo or used unit of the Audio Note CD3.1x on sale for 1,500 US$ (original retail price is 2,500 US$). At that price, its non-oversampling, digital-filterless musicality ought to cream the competition. Strongly recommended. I own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back