Source upgrade
Jun 25, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #31 of 113
For the price Matthew told me he is able to get the 555ES, he should be able to sell it for the same price or maybe even more more on e-bay or audiogon (or even here) if he decides for some reason he doesn't like it. I don't see much of a risk.

I think when people say the stock 555ES is just "OK" on CDs, they really mean "for a $1600 player". That is probably undeniable. But it's also almost a certainty that the stock 555ES represents a major step up from his current Denon, which is his only true criteria.

Mark

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #32 of 113
Good point Mark.

Another thing to consider if you go with the "two box" solution is that you would be using two separate outputs from the player. SACD is through the analog output only. Obviously, redbook is through the digital output, through the DAC, and ultimately to your amp. Unless you want to deal with swapping cables when you want to listen to an SACD, your amp should have at least two inputs.

From a cost perspective, you will have to figure in three additional cables in addition to the cost of the DAC.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #33 of 113
I'd like to no if anyone has heard this player with something like the new bel canto or the MSB goldlink compared to the modified redbook playback. I wonder how the redbook mod's compare to these DAC's. Or if they do.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #34 of 113
sacdlover says the modified 555ES sounds better than his Perpetual Technologies combo.

Mark

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #35 of 113
Thats saying alot about the quality then, very good. I also agree about the unit over his present player.Even stock for the 600.00 or so dollars he's spending, he's getting a major upgrade over his Denon.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
The Arcam was a little too harsh and not as musical as the Music Hall.

Hmm wonder if its just a preference for a less dynamic and drier sound. Something you would get if you listened unplugged from 30ft out kind of thing.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #37 of 113
Quote:

consider if you go with the "two box" solution is that you would be using two separate outputs from the player. SACD is through the analog output only. Obviously, redbook is through the digital output, through the DAC, and ultimately to your amp. Unless you want to deal with swapping cables when you want to listen to an SACD, your amp should have at least two inputs.From a cost perspective, you will have to figure in three additional cables in addition to the cost of the DAC.

The Denon does not do SACD (which I assume is the transport in the 2-box solution you describe, since the Sony would not require an external DAC), therefore he would only require one set of IC's.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #38 of 113
Solude, why would what radrd hears or thinks of one player compared to another be any less credible than what you think?

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #39 of 113
Quote:

The Denon does not do SACD (which I assume is the transport in the 2-box solution you describe, since the Sony would not require an external DAC)

I realize that (I used to own a DCM-370), I was actually speaking to improving the redbook of the 555ES.

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I think when people say the stock 555ES is just "OK" on CDs, they really mean "for a $1600 player". That is probably undeniable.

For a seven or eight hundred dollar player, I find it laughable. But that's just me.

NGF

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #41 of 113

your 555 post was on the 555es player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #42 of 113
I think the economics and risks involved with mods and the loss of waranty need to be taken into consideration. Some can handle such risks better than others. Why buy a player with eye to getting it modded? Shouldn't one shoot for satisfaction right out of the box?

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #43 of 113
Or get a modified player that comes with the full manu. warranty.

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #44 of 113
err.. if i was looking for a nice cd player in the $1300 range i would most certainly try and an arcam fmj cd23t used on audiogon. also, i have seen quite a few cary 303/200 go on audiogon for around $1500. i just got a new source a month or two ago, and the change it has made in my system was drastic to say the least, so i commend your efforts.

are you going to keep the stax around until you get this new source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back