Soundstage and surround sound
Apr 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Ok i got the fact that the soundstage is how the ears perceive the location of the sound. like our ears can hear the differnce from in front,back,side etc and stuff. but wouldnt this make a good pair of headphones with great soundstage also have "7.1 surround"? whats the differnce?
ok now i got the shure srh 440's. reviews are great soundstage. but now im wondering if they are legit. i asked this once before but the answer i got were almost a yes since there was protective barrier protectring the drivers. now im wondering if these drivers look legit. everything else feels it though

snapshot-1.png

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 6
http://www.smyth-research.com/technology.html

..I think Smyth made good explanation about headphone surround

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 6
7.1 is just a number to mark the number of speakers/subwoofers in the system's setup-- nothing else.  2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 10.2 are all different speaker synergies, but they all can have overlapping qualities in soundstage.  So basically, your average 2.0 headphone is still going to be 2.0, but it can try its best to have as good a soundstage as your average 5.1 speaker setup for your entertainment room.  Just as a 'true 5.1' headphone with 4 drivers in each ear can have worse soundstage than a good pair of 2.0 headphones.  Also note that the quality of the recording and mastering go an extremely long way in your perceived soundstage, as well as the type of music and its dynamic range.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
7.1 is just a number to mark the number of speakers/subwoofers in the system's setup-- nothing else.  2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 10.2 are all different speaker synergies, but they all can have overlapping qualities in soundstage.  So basically, your average 2.0 headphone is still going to be 2.0, but it can try its best to have as good a soundstage as your average 5.1 speaker setup for your entertainment room.  Just as a 'true 5.1' headphone with 4 drivers in each ear can have worse soundstage than a good pair of 2.0 headphones.  Also note that the quality of the recording and mastering go an extremely long way in your perceived soundstage, as well as the type of music and its dynamic range.

7.1 also means the number of source channels that the setup is able to handle, ie 7.1 headphone means you can listen to 7.1 source files on the headphone.
And note that generic 2.0 sources are meant for speaker which is different from headphone.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

7.1 also means the number of source channels that the setup is able to handle, ie 7.1 headphone means you can listen to 7.1 source files on the headphone.
And note that generic 2.0 sources are meant for speaker which is different from headphone.

Yes, sorry for my overgeneralization.  I don't want people reading my post and thinking something like a 30 speaker system is a true 30.whatever speaker setup.  It ultimately relies on the amount of channels they are able to handle while in synergy with one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back