SoundMAGIC release E50S and E80S In-Ear Reference Series
Jul 17, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #77 of 227
I've swapped from initially using the fitted silicones to tips which have a narrow bore - these fit my ears better and produce a slightly less harsh sound.

As a result, I'm starting to think the E80 are nigh on perfectly tuned.

And straight from my HTC One M8 they do need the volume jacking, but using JetAudio I can just add some pre-amp gain and it's fine.  I'll try them with a separate amp shortly anyway and report back.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #78 of 227
Do you listen to pop and EDM?  Curious what you think for those genres.

I think they lack some bass impact (especially mid/upper bass) for those genres but maybe I'm just spoiled by the CKR9's :wink:

I still haven't been able to play around with different sources since I got my pair right before I left for holiday and only have my phone and the Elecom LBT-PAR500 with me.....

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #79 of 227
I think they lack some bass impact (especially mid/upper bass) for those genres but maybe I'm just spoiled by the CKR9's :wink:

I still haven't been able to play around with different sources since I got my pair right before I left for holiday and only have my phone and the Elecom LBT-PAR500 with me.....

CKR9 is a bass heavy phone. Same with the A73 and FX750. They are all bass brutes. I prefer the E80 because it provides a natural bass sound, free of boom and bombast, but with that said, for pop and hip hop and electronica, I prefer switching to the A73 over the E80 because the bass is meatier.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #80 of 227
CKR9 is a bass heavy phone. Same with the A73 and FX750. They are all bass brutes. I prefer the E80 because it provides a natural bass sound, free of boom and bombast, but with that said, for pop and hip hop and electronica, I prefer switching to the A73 over the E80 because the bass is meatier.
I don't know if I would classify the a73 as a bass brute.

It does have a good amount of bass, and at first listen they do seem bass forward, but once I've had them in for a while I always end up feeling like the vocals work their way forward in the mix after my ears/brain adjusts to the tuning.

For me the first ten minutes listening to the a73 is much different than the next 3 hours after that because I don't want to take them off lol.

Does anyone else get this impression with the a73?

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #81 of 227
  There's the review I posted. Could be made the thread if you want. i can add links to the review section and other members impressions.

Yeah, let's take discussion into the other thread since it's in the portable IEM forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772661/soundmagic-e50-e80-story-of-two-magicians-a-review

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #82 of 227
I don't know if I would classify the a73 as a bass brute.

It does have a good amount of bass, and at first listen they do seem bass forward, but once I've had them in for a while I always end up feeling like the vocals work their way forward in the mix after my ears/brain adjusts to the tuning.

For me the first ten minutes listening to the a73 is much different than the next 3 hours after that because I don't want to take them off lol.

Does anyone else get this impression with the a73?

Lol , I thought the same about the CKR9's reading that post. If anything stands out on them I'd say it's the mids......

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #83 of 227
Lol , I thought the same about the CKR9's reading that post. If anything stands out on them I'd say it's the mids......

I turn the bass down on both CKR9 and A73. Maybe I'm just not a bass head of any kind? lol This might explain my love for the E80 over the Titans, A73, ect ect....? Still, those are all fabulous IEM, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 227
hello guys :) did any of you own/have listened to both E80 and UE700? if so, could you give me small comparison? Actually, there is this deal of used UE700's for the price as same as that of E80. Which of these two iems, you guys think would be a better choice? thanks :) i listen to vocals mostly. :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #85 of 227
hello guys :) did any of you own/have listened to both E80 and UE700? if so, could you give me small comparison? Actually, there is this deal of used UE700's for the price as same as that of E80. Which of these two iems, you guys think would be a better choice? thanks :) i listen to vocals mostly. :)

The UE700 runs hot in the treble, with very little bass, and when you try and EQ the bass up, due to some tragic tuning, becomes very distorted. But I will tell you, with certain types of music, specifically classic rock and metal, the UE700 was incredibly enjoyable. The E80 is a better value, though not quite the detail monster the UE700 is, but still a better value and a great all-arounder.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #86 of 227
The UE700 runs hot in the treble, with very little bass, and when you try and EQ the bass up, due to some tragic tuning, becomes very distorted. But I will tell you, with certain types of music, specifically classic rock and metal, the UE700 was incredibly enjoyable. The E80 is a better value, though not quite the detail monster the UE700 is, but still a better value and a great all-arounder.
thank you @AngelOfMercy.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #87 of 227

I still miss my UE700.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #88 of 227

I still miss my UE700.

Me too. Especially for Classic rock, but mine died at the jack, and their prices have stayed at $230+, and that's simply way too much for essentially old tech.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #89 of 227
Me too. Especially for Classic rock, but mine died at the jack, and their prices have stayed at $230+, and that's simply way too much for essentially old tech.

Yup, mine broke at the earphone end. Thankfully for me zero audio doppio has replaced them with pleasure.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #90 of 227
I'm disappointed that the E80 only comes with a mic and a remote. Why didn't Soundmagic follow the theme it had for its other models, and release the E80 without the mike and remote, and have an E80S model with the mic and remote? I'm now wondering if the E80 will work properly in mp3 players and other devices that do not use a mike or remote? If not, I guess there might be an adapter available? If it were up to me, and I wouldn't want to have two models, one with the mike and one without it, I would have put the mike and remote on a short cable with a standard mini headphone jack at the end, so it would be usable with or without the mic.I hope Soundmagic will do this for future models if they don't want to have two models, one with the mic and one without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back