Soundmagic PL-50 Review
Nov 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #166 of 224

Quote:
E30 sounds better than PL50?? But it's much cheaper than PL50! How could this be possible...

The pl50 is pretty old at this point and also it's a BA as opposed the dynamic driver in the e30 (cheaper to make and design). Luckily for consumers, all electronics tend to get cheaper and better! 
etysmile.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #167 of 224

Quote:
E30 sounds better than PL50?? But it's much cheaper than PL50! How could this be possible...

I think you have confused PL30 (4 years old) to E30 (released just a few months ago).

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #168 of 224

Quote:
I think you have confused PL30 (4 years old) to E30 (released just a few months ago).

No, I did not confuse. Because I can see on www.taobao.com ( the largest shopping site in China ), E30 costs 239 rmb which is 36.7usd, while PL50 costs 380 rmb, which is 56.4usd. So It does not make sense if the cheaper E30 sounds better than PL50....

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #169 of 224

Quote:
No, I did not confuse. Because I can see on www.taobao.com ( the largest shopping site in China ), E30 costs 239 rmb which is 36.7usd, while PL50 costs 380 rmb, which is 56.4usd. So It does not make sense if the cheaper E30 sounds better than PL50....

Why not? A newly introduced IEM outclassing an 4 years old model hardly need any explanation of its own. PL50 is more expensive because it uses balanced armature driver, which is generally much more expensive than dynamic driver. But more expensive doesn't equal to better sounding, as in the case of PL50 sounding no better than E30. Another example will be Shure SE215 ($99) sounds much better than Shure E3 / SE210 ($129). I own and reviewed them, so I ought to know. The fact that E30 sounds better than PL50 is the exact reason why I think it is a great buy.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #172 of 224
I bought one of these and I just can't find a right fit for my ear canals, either that or this little thing has the worst IEM sound I ever heard. They sound like  very, very, really very cheap earbuds, ten times worst than ipod's for instance. There's no bass and the highs are easily hurt capable, like a knife passing through my brain.

I wanna believe mines are fake or seriously defective, nothing can sound this bad at that price range. 

Bought from Amazon. Unfortunately I can't return them.

:frowning2:

The only eartips I haven't tried are triple flanges, which are usually fine to me, does anyone know a compatible model?

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #174 of 224

I have tried all the supplied tips, none of them sounds any different. I don't think it's a seal problem, they sound ALWAYS crap. Wait, not crap, but hellish utter crap, the worst earphones on the planet. This can't be real, I really believe theyre damaged or fake.

Quote:
sounds like your not getting a seal, tried something like a large olive?

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #176 of 224
Mark, my best IEM is a Westone 4. I love it.

Ok, maybe you were right about the seal, I put on a pair of complys and finally could get some reasonable sound quality. Guess I'll have to get me a lot of complys, now I'm using wax-guarded foams, they do a good job. About the soundmagic stock tips, I guess I'll better throw them in the bin, they can't seal for me. I don't know why.

The mids and highs are still a bit agressive to my ears, though.

I wouldn't recommend this phones, unless you're going to wear them to sleep sideways, as I do, for that use they're really nice, being so tiny you can't possibly feel any discomfort.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #177 of 224
still surprised at you saying they are aggressive, i and others have oft described them as buttery, creamy smooth.   ill grant the highs arent anything like as refined as your W4 but the mids, no.  they are mid centric sa maybe its that your setting the volume to give you the bass level which makes the mids and highs too abundant?

just guessing as to what it could be other than a faulty set as ive never seen anyone call them aggressive before.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #178 of 224
I never got decent sound out of my PL-50 until i took the loosened up gray tri-flanges off my er-6i and slid them onto the PL-50 stems. 

Now i get a good seal and good sound. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #180 of 224

Quote:
still surprised at you saying they are aggressive, i and others have oft described them as buttery, creamy smooth.   ill grant the highs arent anything like as refined as your W4 but the mids, no.  they are mid centric sa maybe its that your setting the volume to give you the bass level which makes the mids and highs too abundant?

just guessing as to what it could be other than a faulty set as ive never seen anyone call them aggressive before.

I currently have TF10, W4 and ER4S... all of them I can set the volume high without any problem (not that I do it, just for the argument), but pl50... it's a light saber through my head... painful. Of course they are in another rank, but anyway...

maybe they are fake... or defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back